Windows 10: Windows Update MiniTool

Discus and support Windows Update MiniTool in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I also have the "managed by your organiztion" when I set WUMT to Notification. It has to do with a registry setting changed by WUMT (the same one in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by nigelmercier, Dec 11, 2015.

1. f14tomcat Win User

Windows Update MiniTool

Reasonable trade-off. just obnoxious to me, that's all. Maybe some Wite-Out........*Think

f14tomcat, Aug 6, 2017
  2. tracit99 Win User

I just changed my WUMT back to Automatically and the "managed by your organization" is no longer displayed in MS Windows Update. Now I have changed back Notification and still no message. I have been here before. This is a fickle setting and MS Windows Updates really does not like it messed with. I will now reboot with WUMT in notification mode and see if message comes back. Oh lord what have I done. I knew better than to mess with something set the way I wanted it.

Edit:
    The message did not come back and then I realized that I was in 15063.502 and the "managed by your organization" message rarely appears in this build.
    In the latest IP builds MS has change some things in Windows Updates and now it reads certain registry key(s) (such as notification) in order to provide additional information about the status of MS Windows Updates. The "managed by your organization" message is one of the more notable examples of this change in the later IP builds.

@f14tomcat
    You might want to try changing WUMT to Automatically in a later IP build and see what happens. Do so at your own risk. As I have mentioned this setting is fickle and it is not WUMT. I have verified the change made by WUMT in the registry and it is immediate. It is all to do with MS Windows 10 Windows Updates. Sometimes the registry change takes effect immediately, sometimes you might have to sign out/sign in, and sometimes you might have to restart and at other times you just have to wait some unspecified time. I have not really found any consistency in making changes here. This is especially true from build to build. It has at times been a real Pandora's box for me. So open only if you dare.

tracit99, Aug 6, 2017
  3. f14tomcat Win User
    If it's a policy setting, like GPEDIT stuff, you can probably just run gpupdate /force instead of rebooting.

f14tomcat, Aug 6, 2017
  4. tracit99 Win User

Windows Update MiniTool

It is not really a group policy setting per se. It is a registry key setting. Many group policy settings are done by changing registry key(s). However, when you change a registry key or keys it does not change a corresponding group policy. I think of the group policy editor as a relatively easy to use front end for editing the registry as opposed to regedit. Although the distinction may not be entirely true it is one way to look at it.
    For your specific case one of the registry keys is found here: (this is one of the registry keys that WUMT manipulates)
    \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU
    The key is AUOptions. It has various possible values.
    1=Disabled (I think this is correct; it has been replaced by a new key called NoAutoUpdate) (Legacy)
    2=Notify
    3=Download Only (Legacy)
    4=Scheduled (Involves other keys to work properly) (Legacy)
    5=Managed by Administrator (This is not the one that is causing your unwanted message) (Legacy)

Then there are the Automatically and Disabled settings which involve different registry keys or the lack of certain registry keys. Are you confused yet? Now you can see why we have the Group Policy Editor. In the end I just use WUMT and let it do its magic. You can also accomplish basically the same thing in the Group Policy Editor. Just remember in the end it is the registry that is being changed. Suffice it to say that manipulation of any registry keys that involves Windows Updates is probably going to trigger the "managed by your organization" message in the later IP builds. There are many subtle nuances that have evolved over time within Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 and changes within different builds and within individual editions related to MS Windows Updates. I have touched upon just one. Sorry to have rambled on. I hate long post. It just not easily explained.

Shawn explains some of this information much better than me. See his turtorial:
    Enable or Disable Windows Update Automatic Updates in Windows 10

tracit99, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows Update MiniTool

1. Windows Update MiniTool - Similar Threads - Update MiniTool

2. My laptop freezes when updating windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    My laptop freezes when updating windows 10: My laptop freezes when updating windows 10 and I force it to turn off by pressing the power button until it dies and when it starts up again it can't play valorant with error code VAL 5 and the laptop can't be shutdown, when I want to shutdown it will turn on again and so on....
  3. Windows Update Error 0xC1900101- 0x40021

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update Error 0xC1900101- 0x40021: So recently I tried updating my computer which is running Windows 10 currently...to Windows 11 but the upgrade froze on a black screen and so I force-restarted my computer and it rolled back to Windows 10 with this error : We couldn't install Windows 11We've set your PC back...
  4. WUMT (Windows Update MiniTool) Runs Only Failed Attempts To Upgrade OS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WUMT (Windows Update MiniTool) Runs Only Failed Attempts To Upgrade OS: Finally plowed through errors that kept this program in upgrading to Version 1909. Did not realize before the fixes, anytime that I tried Wumt it would make several attempts to reload before it would throw the error code. Now when this application is launched to load 1909, it...
  5. Windows Update problem with Windows Update MiniTool

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Update problem with Windows Update MiniTool: Hello everybody! Here is my problem... I have disabled Automatic Windows Update using the Local Group Policy Editor. Instead, I use Windows Update mini tool. I run it every two weeks and I choose what to install and what not. After months of doing the job fine, today...
  6. Windows Update problem with Windows Update MiniTool

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Update problem with Windows Update MiniTool: Hello everybody! Here is my problem... I have disabled Automatic Windows Update using the Local Group Policy Editor. Instead, I use Windows Update mini tool. I run it every two weeks and I choose what to install and what not. After months of doing the job fine, today...
  7. Question about Windows update minitool and Windows update manager

Question about Windows update minitool and Windows update manager: Hi, I'm annoyed by Windows 10 auto updates (especially the driver ones) and I'mglad that I finally found a solution but I have some questions regarding Wumt and Wumgr: -Do they work on all editions of windows (home, pro...) -I read something about a wrapper script but I...
  8. MiniTool Partition Wizard 11.6 New Released : Spanish & Data Backup Added

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MiniTool Partition Wizard 11.6 New Released : Spanish & Data Backup Added: MiniTool Partition wizard 11.6 New Released, For the new version, it has added Spanish as an optional language. It can be installed online and provides the free backup software MiniTool ShadowMaker and updates the Data Recovery module to its latest build. Spanish Language...
  9. Windows update settings and Windows update minitool problem

Windows update settings and Windows update minitool problem: I used the tool. I updated periodically one by one due to my daily download limit. I updated a few updates. Finally I have to update latest cumulative windows x64 update 4013429. That tool could not update that. When I went to settings|update, I get like the pic below. It...
  10. How good is Windows Update MiniTool?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How good is Windows Update MiniTool?: So since my HDD broke down i thought I should do a proper installation of Windows 10 Pro including the right drivers So I downloaded them from my manufacturer's website and then ran Windows Update. Surfing around the internet I found this Update Tool. Everything...