Windows 10: windows update needs space

Discus and support windows update needs space in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have made countless attempts to update my device but I keep getting the notifications to clear up files on my device ( which I already did ) my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by LeetoMothobi, Aug 25, 2019.

1. windows update needs space

I have made countless attempts to update my device but I keep getting the notifications to clear up files on my device ( which I already did )

my device still won't update even with the additional space of a ssd and external hard drive

please help?!

:)

LeetoMothobi, Aug 25, 2019

2. space in hard dist for update windows 10

Hello ManolisTsitkanos,

To better assist you with your concern, I'd like to know the following:

• Confirm which build is currently installed on your device. To check, follow the steps below:
    • Press Windows key + R, then type in winver.
    • Click OK.
    • What is the make and model of your computer?
    • What is the exact error message that you're getting when performing an update?

Meanwhile, I'd suggest following the steps in this article
    to help you free up drive space on your Windows 10 device.

Looking forward to your response.

Regards.

Melchizedek Qui, Aug 25, 2019
  3. AsRock Win User
    Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Aug 25, 2019
  4. 3Colors Win User

windows update needs space

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond windows update needs space :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Aug 25, 2019
Thema:

windows update needs space

1. windows update needs space - Similar Threads - update needs space

2. Windows 11 space needed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 space needed: Hi I want to download and install windows 11, but currently I have only 10 GB free space in my drive will it be enough to install windows 11? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-space-needed/bd156688-0057-4ff3-b549-f160b0bf6b49
  3. Windows 11 space needed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 space needed: Hi I want to download and install windows 11, but currently I have only 10 GB free space in my drive will it be enough to install windows 11? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-space-needed/bd156688-0057-4ff3-b549-f160b0bf6b49
  4. Windows needs space to update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows needs space to update: This is so annoying. Does anyone have a workaround for the annoying error of windows? I don't know how much space win needs I cannot find info, but I have a D drive with 38 Gb free space, and it still wants me to get rid of I-don't-know-how-much space in my C-drive!! Even if...
  5. Need more space for Windows 10 update

Need more space for Windows 10 update: I am trying to update windows 10 but I have only 32 gb memory and I have try to clean up all unwanted files and apps then also I was just able clean up 4 gb space is there any other way to update or I have to by hdd...
  6. NEED TO FREE UP SPACE FOR WINDOWS ! UPDATES!!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    NEED TO FREE UP SPACE FOR WINDOWS ! UPDATES!!: I cannot figure out how to free up any more space, I bought a 2 TB external Harddrive and moved all of my files there, also redirected any new things to be saved there. What files can I remove from C Drive and store on my D External Hard Drive without disrupting my PC?...
  7. Windows needs more space to update

Windows needs more space to update: Thanks for the suggestions to overcome the space problem previously posted, however, I'm still bemused by this situation: The box says "Free up 1.86Gb" Clicked Recycle - it's empty Clicked downloads -it's empty Clicked Storage use - uninstalled about 10mb of apps...
  8. Update needs space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Update needs space: Are there any vital apps I must have for function https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/update-needs-space/26d21040-c886-44c1-8997-7438d6355301
  9. Need space to update windows

in Windows 10 Customization
    Need space to update windows: I need space on my windows 10 tablet to update to new version. How can I delete old versions of windows https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/need-space-to-update-windows/fcf94e36-8859-46a2-9381-f07027b69b36
  10. Windows Needs More Space???

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Needs More Space???: Apparently Windows needs more space on my (C:) drive for its latest update. However, when I open the 'Storage Usage' box in 'Settings' it shows that I have 7.39GB of 'Temporary Files'. When I open the 'Temp. file' it shows a total of just a few MB's. Any suggestions? I show...