Windows 10: Windows Update not working

Discus and support Windows Update not working in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Running Windows 10 Pro 64bit ver 1909 OS build 18363.535 Proc Intel Core i7 32GB RAM I noticed at one point that my Windows 10 updates were not being... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by LloydHarnish, Feb 29, 2020.

1. Windows Update not working

Running Windows 10 Pro 64bit
    ver 1909 OS build 18363.535
    Proc Intel Core i7
    32GB RAM
    I noticed at one point that my Windows 10 updates were not being pushed at all.
    I tried the Update Troubleshooter and it was worthless. It ran forever and found nothing.
    I have tried the manual reset by turning off or stopping related services and removing Updates folder in
    c:\windows\SoftwareDistribution, as per a step-by-step I found online, rebooted, and the Windows Update service
    still says "Starting" and all other comands such as Start, Stop, etc are grayed out.
    I check the Windows Update screen and it doesnt respond if I click on View Update History other than
    the bar goes gray and the screen locks up not allowing any other items to be clicked so I have to close
    and reopen the window.
    If I click on Check for Updates first, before anything else, it cycles and cycles like its doing something,
    sometimes for hours but will eventually either just give up or give up and give an error that:
    "Error Encountered, We'll continue to check daily for newer updates. There were some problems installing
    updates but we will try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search he web or contact support for
    infomation this may help: 0x80080005"
    I finally gave in and had Windows 10 reset itself while keeping my personal files and after all of that and before
    installing any old apps or programs, I checked and nothing has changed.
    I have tried shutting down the AV software as well as uninstalling the McAfee AV and installing Avira to see if that
    was causing an issue. I have turned off the AV firewalls as well as the windows firewalls; still no change.
    At one point, before resetting the OS I found where I could install the last major version update by hand by downloading
    the update from Microsoft and pushing it, thinking that would surely correct the issue and it did get me to the latest
    version but did nothing to correct the issue of the service still sitting at "Starting..."
    Only reboot9ing in safe mode allows it to show any other status but if you try to change it in safe mode, it says that it
    cant be started in safe mode.
    I have scanned with several AV and malware products, checked the hosts file, etc and have run out of things to try.
    I have also noted that I cant install any Apps from the Windows store. Although I cannot determine if these are connected.
    I can download updates for some of my paid software like Internet Download Manager, The McAfee AV, Nord VPN, etc.
    Now after doing a OS reset it is telling me that Windows isnt activated. I go to teh activation screen and of course it says it cant be activated right now:
    We cant activate windows on this device right now. You can try activating again later or go to the store to buy genuine Windows. Error code 0x800705B4.
    I looked up the error code and now this tells me it points to a Windows Defender issue. All Windows Defender services are running.
    Any ideas?

:)

LloydHarnish, Feb 29, 2020
  2. Monk.e83 Win User

Unlocked Realtek HD Audio Drivers Windows 7 & 8 (With Dolby Digital Live and DTS Interactive)

DTS supported natively by Windows 8/8.1 and it should work on windows 10 too just DDL require to unlock your driver .

Monk.e83, Feb 29, 2020
  3. 3Colors Win User
    Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Windows Update not working :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Feb 29, 2020
  4. Windows Update not working

Windows 10 infinite restart black screen

The tutorials provided are just a list of troubleshooting steps. Use only the steps which apply to you.

Since none of the troubleshooting steps here worked, I'd suggest you do a Clean install.

John

AmericanPharaoh, Feb 29, 2020
Thema:

Windows Update not working

1. Windows Update not working - Similar Threads - Update working

2. headphones stopped working after last update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    headphones stopped working after last update: Head phones stopped working after last MS Update. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/headphones-stopped-working-after-last-update/0d34d892-46bb-435f-826a-5d7b6f147d92
  3. headphones stopped working after last update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    headphones stopped working after last update: Head phones stopped working after last MS Update. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/headphones-stopped-working-after-last-update/0d34d892-46bb-435f-826a-5d7b6f147d92
  4. Internet stopped working after update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Internet stopped working after update: Hi thereI own a HP Envy x360 running the following:Windows 11 Home22H2OS build 22621.3296This morning I was using my laptop and browsing the internet perfectly fine. I received a notification to install some updates by restating my laptop. After restarting it, my internet...
  5. Internet stopped working after update

Internet stopped working after update: Hi thereI own a HP Envy x360 running the following:Windows 11 Home22H2OS build 22621.3296This morning I was using my laptop and browsing the internet perfectly fine. I received a notification to install some updates by restating my laptop. After restarting it, my internet...
  6. Windows search, indexing, and update not working despite common fix attempts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows search, indexing, and update not working despite common fix attempts: I've been experiencing persistent issues with the Windows Search function on my Windows 10 system. When I attempt to use the search feature, it seems that not all applications are appearing in the results. I've noticed that in Task Manager, the Search process is automatically...
  7. Windows search, indexing, and update not working despite common fix attempts

Windows search, indexing, and update not working despite common fix attempts: I've been experiencing persistent issues with the Windows Search function on my Windows 10 system. When I attempt to use the search feature, it seems that not all applications are appearing in the results. I've noticed that in Task Manager, the Search process is automatically...
  8. Windows search, indexing, and update not working despite common fix attempts

in Cortana
  9. A recent update of Intel AX211 driver stopped WiFi 6E from working. How can I roll back...

A recent update of Intel AX211 driver stopped WiFi 6E from working. How can I roll back...: Some notes:I have 2 PCs with Intel AX211 cards and 1 PC with Intel AX210 card.All 3 used to be able to detect WiFi 6E channels reliably both connecting to WiFi 6E router and displaying channel info using a wifi scanner app.After driver has been updated either the update to...
  10. A recent update of Intel AX211 driver stopped WiFi 6E from working. How can I roll back...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A recent update of Intel AX211 driver stopped WiFi 6E from working. How can I roll back...: Some notes:I have 2 PCs with Intel AX211 cards and 1 PC with Intel AX210 card.All 3 used to be able to detect WiFi 6E channels reliably both connecting to WiFi 6E router and displaying channel info using a wifi scanner app.After driver has been updated either the update to...