Windows 10: windows update options under general settings in services is greyed out

Discus and support windows update options under general settings in services is greyed out in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello sir, i am not able to change my windows update settings in services in which startup type is greyed out completely not able to change and also... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Sai Bhanu Mathurthi, May 5, 2021.

1. windows update options under general settings in services is greyed out

Hello sir, i am not able to change my windows update settings in services in which startup type is greyed out completely not able to change and also stop, pause, resume, apply buttons also greyed out that is disabled completely and also in the services status of windows update is not showing like running...please give my the solution to able to change it

:)

Sai Bhanu Mathurthi, May 5, 2021
  2. AsRock Win User

Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, May 5, 2021
  3. Location service is greyed out

Hi Shahriar,

Thank you for responding.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused for you, I suggest you to try the below troubleshooting steps and check If it helps.

Step 1: Steps to turn on the Location settings.

• Login as an administrator.
    • Press Windows key, type Location settings and select
      Change location settings.
    • Check whether Location for this device is On by clicking on
      Change
    • Also turn on Location as well.

Step 2: And as you are unable to set the service Geolocation service to automatic, I suggest you to run SFC scan and check.

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

Follow the below steps:

• Right click on the Start button, click on
      Command Prompt (Admin).

• Type “sfc /scannow” without the quotes and hit
      Enter.

• After the scan, restart the computer and check for the issue.

Try to set the service to automatic by following the steps provided in the above post by Praveen Venugopal.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of the issue, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, May 5, 2021
  4. jbailey8 Win User

windows update options under general settings in services is greyed out

HyperSLI (Enabling SLI on non-sli motherboards)

To turn off windows updates in windows 7 follow these steps:

Click the start button, in the search box type in 'windows updates', click on 'windows update'
    in the search results list, in the left side of the windows update window click 'change settings'
    then in the option bar select 'Never check for updates'.

jbailey8, May 5, 2021
Thema:

windows update options under general settings in services is greyed out

1. windows update options under general settings in services is greyed out - Similar Threads - update options under

2. WINDOWS UPDATE SETTINGS IS GREYED OUT

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WINDOWS UPDATE SETTINGS IS GREYED OUT: We're pushed windows patchs via WSUS services but we facing the INSTALL option is disabled on windows update page.we restarted the windows update services and rename the software distribution folder but still facing the same issuePlease find below snap and share the solution...
  3. WINDOWS UPDATE SETTINGS IS GREYED OUT

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WINDOWS UPDATE SETTINGS IS GREYED OUT: We're pushed windows patchs via WSUS services but we facing the INSTALL option is disabled on windows update page.we restarted the windows update services and rename the software distribution folder but still facing the same issuePlease find below snap and share the solution...
  4. "Log on as" option greyed out in software protection in services

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Log on as" option greyed out in software protection in services: I've been having trouble with software protection not launching and as a result windows 11 has been deactivated on my device. When attempting to launch software protection I get the message "Windows could not start the Software Protection service on Local Computer. Error...
  5. "Log on as" option greyed out in software protection in services

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Log on as" option greyed out in software protection in services: I've been having trouble with software protection not launching and as a result windows 11 has been deactivated on my device. When attempting to launch software protection I get the message "Windows could not start the Software Protection service on Local Computer. Error...
  6. Windows Update Service greyed out

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update Service greyed out: I want to do a reinstall of Windows 10 on my PC, but the reinstalling field gives me an error. I have narrowed it down to the update service being disabled, but I cant do anything to it as all options are greyed out. Im the only account on my pc, and have tried every fix I...
  7. Microsoft Store option for installing apps is greyed out under Settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    Microsoft Store option for installing apps is greyed out under Settings: Dear Microsoft Community, I am operating in administrator mode. On the developers page of windows update the Microsoft Store Option is not active and I cannot change the computer from Sideload apps. I don't believe I have the Developers Mode pack. Will having the PC in...
  8. "Check for Updates" option is greyed out

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    "Check for Updates" option is greyed out: Hi ,I am using Windows 10 Pro and the ""Check for Updates" option is greyed out . In the past I had changed some registry and group policy settings to stop windows update but now I want to update windows and forgot which settings I've changed. Is there anyway to roll back...
  9. A Windows Update Advanced Option is Greyed Out

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    A Windows Update Advanced Option is Greyed Out: The option "Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows" is off and greyed out since I did the Anniversary update. Does anyone know how I can fix this? [img] 59049
  10. windows services greyed out

in Windows 10 Support
    windows services greyed out: hi there, I'm having this problem in windows services, windows update service is greyed out and I can't change from automatic to manual, and windows Installer have the same problem. I want to be able to change to manual, I have try with admin account still nothing. Any help...