Windows 10: Windows Update - Pause updates acting strangely

Discus and support Windows Update - Pause updates acting strangely in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I am seeing the most bizarre problem with Windows 10, Settings/Update & Security/ Windows Update. I am on version 2004 19041.264, but I have seen this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by awalt, May 28, 2020.

1. awalt Win User

Windows Update - Pause updates acting strangely

I am seeing the most bizarre problem with Windows 10, Settings/Update & Security/ Windows Update. I am on version 2004 19041.264, but I have seen this for several releases now and it has not gone away. I went to the latest that's not Fast Ring in order to see if some problem got fixed or at least reset properly, and it did not. This is a version of Window 10 running under Parallels v. 15.1.4 (latest version), if that makes a difference. Parallels has not updated in some time, maybe a month or two.

The problem is this - whenever I go into Windows Update, it says, "Updates paused". Today the message continues, Updates will resume on 5/21/2020." I click the resume Updates button, it checks for updates which there may or may not be any (like the anti-virus signature file), nd then it completes it's check. But if I go back later, "Updates paused" again shows! AND, the date it will resume - today, May 21 - is rolling out day by day! It's possible I have caused this by trying things, but for sure I cannot get "Updates Paused" to turn off.

Note too, I have never paused updates intentionally. Just one day, it appeared.

I have tried:
    1. Restart Windows
    2. Check for registry location and Policy where this is set, that I could change it (everything in the Windows Update section of gpedit.msc is set to 'not configured')
    3. Tried clicking so it becomes "Check for Updates", and immediately restart
    4. Done a reset of sorts from the Windows Support page:
    net stop bits net stop wuauserv ren %systemroot%\softwaredistribution softwaredistribution.bak ren %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.bak net start bits net start wuauserv
    5. Checked for failed updates that might be causing problems - none
    6. Tried setting Advanced Options/Pause Updates, and pick tomorrow's date and see if it says at the day and then in a day the problem is cleared - it does not - it goes back to the day 7 days out!
    7. I tried through gpedit to disable the ability to set Updates Paused through the UI - I did disable it, and then I re-enabled it after a restart - the problem immediately reappeared on a second restart after Updates Paused was enabled.
    8. I have posted on Windows Insider - no response.

I am at a loss how to fix this. does anyone have any ideas, I would be eternally grateful! Thanks!

:)

awalt, May 28, 2020
  2. Bree Win User

When you pause updates a number of new REG_SZ values are created in Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\UX\Settings which should be deleted after successfully resuming updates. Maybe one or more of your is stuck? If so, try manually deleting any you find.

For reference, here is my registry (1909, 18363.836) with update pause for 7 days...

Windows Update - Pause updates acting strangely [​IMG]

...and after successfully resuming updates.

3. awalt Win User

Wow so here you go! I went about 3-4 hours, bringing up Windows Update and it was fine each time. On a hunch, I did a restart - brought it up, and look - it's now in Pause, and the values are added to the Registry. This is so bizarre, how is this happening?

awalt, May 28, 2020
  4. awalt Win User

Ah - that's what I was looking for, thanks @Bree! I checked mine, shown here - currently, with Pause showing as Off, mine looks like yours I believe - the difference appears to only be the 5 Pause.... entries are present or missing, for Paused/Not Paused; and my system does not current have them. I'll check periodically throughout the day and report back, if I see it go to Pause again I'll check the Registry. But at least right now the Registry is correct I think!

- - - Updated - - -

Oops one difference I see - you have UxOption as 2, I have 0. I did some searching, I don't see the values explained. Do you know what they mean @Bree ?

awalt, May 28, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows Update - Pause updates acting strangely - Similar Threads - Update Pause updates

2. Windows Updates Paused but not Paused?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Updates Paused but not Paused?: Hi everyone, I have been on windows trying to fix this issue and I think I made it worse. Resume updates was not showing as an option so I tried a few "fixes" and this happened:As you can see, the top area says that Windows update is unpaused, while the other areas say...
  3. Windows Updates Paused but not Paused?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Updates Paused but not Paused?: Hi everyone, I have been on windows trying to fix this issue and I think I made it worse. Resume updates was not showing as an option so I tried a few "fixes" and this happened:As you can see, the top area says that Windows update is unpaused, while the other areas say...
  4. Windows Updates Paused but not Paused?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows apps acting strange

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows apps acting strange: Latley Ive had in issue with windows apps acting strange This is only in windows apps, Start Menu, Settings, Xbox Ive linked a video to showcase the issue https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SXs2wztCGS71yZ4WsClB9_ciYVse01-l/view?usp=sharing...
  6. My computer is acting strange after an update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My computer is acting strange after an update: My computer won’t let me go into the windows menu thing and my wallpaper is gone, and the only thing I can see that I had before my update is my icons submitted by /u/Lego-Brick [link] [comments]...
  7. The Strange Case of the Missing Pause Feature Update Setting

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    The Strange Case of the Missing Pause Feature Update Setting: This has been discussed in another thread, but I came across some strange issues with this in trying to get the "Pause Feature Updates" setting to come back after the update to v1903. There appears to be three different methods (if you have Win10 Pro) of setting this pause...
  8. Pause Updates Not Pausing

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Pause Updates Not Pausing: My Windows 10 1903 updated itself on June 29 th. At that point I chose to pause updates until sometime in August. Today, July 10, it tried to update itself again completely ignoring my pause request. Did I do something wrong or is this a bug? Thank you. 136354
  9. Mouse acting strange after latest updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Mouse acting strange after latest updates: After installing KB4503864 and KB4501371, my mouse now randomly double clicks, single clicks during dragging/highlighting, and stutters when being held down. This makes it basically unusable. It was working perfectly fine for years before these particular updates, and I can't...
  10. Fonts acting really strange after last update

in Windows 10 Support
    Fonts acting really strange after last update: Hi all. Since last update, my fonts, when browsing is really wierd... Some places, the font gets alot smaller, but not everything is this way... This is both on Chrome and Edge Example: [img] 16228