Windows 10: Windows update puts computer back into S mode - How to permanently disable S mode

Discus and support Windows update puts computer back into S mode - How to permanently disable S mode in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; S mode is a complete disaster, blocking critical functions in Chrome and Firefox. I disabled S-mode for my parents laptop, and then sent it to them... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by C Kemere, Aug 1, 2020.

1. C Kemere Win User

Windows update puts computer back into S mode - How to permanently disable S mode

S mode is a complete disaster, blocking critical functions in Chrome and Firefox. I disabled S-mode for my parents laptop, and then sent it to them with the understanding that it was a permanent choice. Now, after some sort of automatic update, it's back, and the Microsoft Store won't let us disable it. We're going through the process of downloading various newer updates, etc., but it's incredibly frustrating that the default mode of the computer renders it non-functional.

So my question is - how can I permanently disable S mode? On my computer, with Windows Professional installed, this doesn't happen. Is Windows Home somehow just crippled in this way?

:)

C Kemere, Aug 1, 2020
  2. VSM45 Win User

I cancelled S mode... it turned back on

When I first set up windows 10 I was able to successfully disable S mode and access chrome and my other apps. Now a few days later it is telling me that I need to disable S mode again. When I repeat the steps it is telling me that there is an error on
    googles end and to check back. I have restarted my computer and closed in and out of the program nothing is working. Has this happened to anyone else? Is there a way to permanently disable it?

VSM45, Aug 1, 2020
  3. Zaki_j Win User
    s mode

Hi tracydeery,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you like to revert to Windows 10 S Mode.

• What’s the make and model of the PC?

Switching out of S mode is one-way. If you switch out of S mode, you'll need to keep using the standard version of Windows 10. However, if your PC came along with the recovery partition, you can use the
    recovery image on the PC to restore the computer back to factory settings, which will help you in getting Windows 10 S edition on the Pc.

Note:
    Resetting the computer to factory setting will remove all applications & data from hard drive and reinstall the original operating system. I suggest you all you backup important data before performing a factory reset.

For more information in Windows 10 S mode, you may refer to the following article
    Windows 10 in S mode FAQ

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Zaki

Zaki_j, Aug 1, 2020
  4. Windows update puts computer back into S mode - How to permanently disable S mode

Disabling S Mode

How do I disable S mode on my computer?

ImaniCombs, Aug 1, 2020
Thema:

Windows update puts computer back into S mode - How to permanently disable S mode

1. Windows update puts computer back into S mode - How to permanently disable S mode - Similar Threads - update puts computer

2. Disabling S-Mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disabling S-Mode: OS: Windows 10 Pro- Disabling S mode is not an option in the store.- Disabling S mode is not an option under activation.I am not sure how to disable it so I can download 3rd party applications....
  3. S Mode Permanent

in Windows 10 Gaming
    S Mode Permanent: Hi. I’m looking to purchase a laptop, most likely an Acer Aspire 5. I’ve noticed that there are options for the Windows 11 S Mode. If I purchase one of those, will it forever be I. s mode or will I be able to get out of it with the normal route?The ones in S mode are...
  4. S Mode Permanent

S Mode Permanent: Hi. I’m looking to purchase a laptop, most likely an Acer Aspire 5. I’ve noticed that there are options for the Windows 11 S Mode. If I purchase one of those, will it forever be I. s mode or will I be able to get out of it with the normal route?The ones in S mode are...
  5. disable s mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    disable s mode: How do I disable s mode in Win 10 Pro? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disable-s-mode/e2149b90-6791-4574-aed2-2ae9974bb281
  6. disable s mode

in Windows 10 Customization
    disable s mode: How do I disable s mode in Win 10 Pro? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disable-s-mode/e2149b90-6791-4574-aed2-2ae9974bb281
  7. S mode will not disable

S mode will not disable: Hi, first time writing on here, and would appreciate some help :I got this laptop LAPTOP-8817VJQ7 for christmas, and am currently running it on Windows 10, since windows 11 is not available yet for this laptop. I am currently trying to disable S mode in order to download...
  8. S mode will not disable

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    S mode will not disable: Hi, first time writing on here, and would appreciate some help :I got this laptop LAPTOP-8817VJQ7 for christmas, and am currently running it on Windows 10, since windows 11 is not available yet for this laptop. I am currently trying to disable S mode in order to download...
  9. S mode will not disable

in Windows 10 Gaming
  10. S Mode Disable

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    S Mode Disable: I have been using this laptop for months. Today, I installed a Lenovo update and my computer was in S Mode afterwards. I have read how to uninstall it but the "Get" button is greyed out. I am the admin on my PC, but it says to contact IT Department or Admin. Thank you....