Windows 10: Windows update puts computer back into S mode - How to permanently disable S mode

Discus and support Windows update puts computer back into S mode - How to permanently disable S mode in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; S mode is a complete disaster, blocking critical functions in Chrome and Firefox. I disabled S-mode for my parents laptop, and then sent it to them... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by C Kemere, Aug 1, 2020.

1. C Kemere Win User

Windows update puts computer back into S mode - How to permanently disable S mode

S mode is a complete disaster, blocking critical functions in Chrome and Firefox. I disabled S-mode for my parents laptop, and then sent it to them with the understanding that it was a permanent choice. Now, after some sort of automatic update, it's back, and the Microsoft Store won't let us disable it. We're going through the process of downloading various newer updates, etc., but it's incredibly frustrating that the default mode of the computer renders it non-functional.

So my question is - how can I permanently disable S mode? On my computer, with Windows Professional installed, this doesn't happen. Is Windows Home somehow just crippled in this way?

:)

C Kemere, Aug 1, 2020
  2. VSM45 Win User

I cancelled S mode... it turned back on

When I first set up windows 10 I was able to successfully disable S mode and access chrome and my other apps. Now a few days later it is telling me that I need to disable S mode again. When I repeat the steps it is telling me that there is an error on
    googles end and to check back. I have restarted my computer and closed in and out of the program nothing is working. Has this happened to anyone else? Is there a way to permanently disable it?

VSM45, Aug 1, 2020
  3. Zaki_j Win User
    s mode

Hi tracydeery,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you like to revert to Windows 10 S Mode.

• What’s the make and model of the PC?

Switching out of S mode is one-way. If you switch out of S mode, you'll need to keep using the standard version of Windows 10. However, if your PC came along with the recovery partition, you can use the
    recovery image on the PC to restore the computer back to factory settings, which will help you in getting Windows 10 S edition on the Pc.

Note:
    Resetting the computer to factory setting will remove all applications & data from hard drive and reinstall the original operating system. I suggest you all you backup important data before performing a factory reset.

For more information in Windows 10 S mode, you may refer to the following article
    Windows 10 in S mode FAQ

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Zaki

Zaki_j, Aug 1, 2020
  4. Windows update puts computer back into S mode - How to permanently disable S mode

Disabling S Mode

How do I disable S mode on my computer?

ImaniCombs, Aug 1, 2020
Thema:

Windows update puts computer back into S mode - How to permanently disable S mode

1. Windows update puts computer back into S mode - How to permanently disable S mode - Similar Threads - update puts computer

2. getting back to s- mode

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    getting back to s- mode: hello, I just got my hp literally hours ago and accidently turned off s-mode so can i just reset my computer and get back. what do I have to d https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/getting-back-to-s-mode/a06e5efe-ab0b-4ef2-9a61-a759dc2c5050
  3. Reverted back to S-Mode

in Windows 10 Customization
    Reverted back to S-Mode: Bought a new computer since my old one is dying now I am limited on the use of my new one. I was able to get out of S-Mode to download required applications, then it did an automatic BIOS Upgrade and reverted back to S-Mode, now unable to be released from S-Mode! The MS Store...
  4. switch back in s mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    switch back in s mode: hello please I want to know how to switch back to s mode or know if with this mode my pc is exposed, venerable. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/switch-back-in-s-mode/53bda8e3-16d7-4f1c-abd3-c785f51405c4
  5. S Mode

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    S Mode: ITS SO GODDAMN ANNOYING, I try to turn off S mode and it says; Try Again later, I tried and tried and tried and IT STILL SAYS TRY AGAIN LATER! I CANT DOWNLOAD ANYTHING AND I MIGHT BE GOING INSANE RIGHT NOW BC EVEN TRU MICROSOFT SHOP NOTHING IS DOWNLOADING! I need help,...
  6. S-MODE

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    S-MODE: IM SUER SOME WIZZ KID CAME UP WITH S MODE...…….BUT IT DONT FIT ALL...……..I SHOULD BE ABLE TO TURN IT ON AND OFF WITH A KEY CLICK I DONT WANT JOBS JOB JUST PLAY ON THE COMPUTER.....AGE 85 LIMITED PLAY TIME LEFT BOB CAPOZZI...
  7. S Mode Disable

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    S Mode Disable: I have been using this laptop for months. Today, I installed a Lenovo update and my computer was in S Mode afterwards. I have read how to uninstall it but the "Get" button is greyed out. I am the admin on my PC, but it says to contact IT Department or Admin. Thank you....
  8. S Mode

S Mode: I cannot get out of S Mode it continues to state that we are working on it!!!!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/s-mode/57bc9e82-72b6-42c2-af1d-139cc49f72c5"
  9. s mode

s mode: Can't switch out of S Mode I have recently gotten a new laptop and when I got to switch out S mode I press "Get" and then it will get stuck on "Working on it" and we have left it on this for over half an hour, we have tried it multiple times and restarted my laptop multiple...
  10. s mode

in Windows 10 Customization
    s mode: cant get s mode to switch off any suggestions https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/s-mode/8e02fe8d-b9b8-43a2-ae47-67cdd8a00695