Windows 10: Windows update r1809 screwed up my laptop

Discus and support Windows update r1809 screwed up my laptop in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; So I recently updated to Windows 1809 and my laptop is running fine. Until a few days ago probably like two or three days I was working out and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by OVisuals, Oct 12, 2018.

1. OVisuals Win User

Windows update r1809 screwed up my laptop

So I recently updated to Windows 1809 and my laptop is running fine. Until a few days ago probably like two or three days I was working out and listening to music on my laptop when my laptop froze I figured it was a blue screen but I never got the blue screen menu so I force restart the laptop. When I turned the laptop on again I was prompted with “Windows it not start properly restart sometimes fixes the issue or check out some of the repair options the advances options”. First I restarted but I still prompted with the same message. I then tried the system repair but it felt to repair the “STTrails.txt” something amoung the lines of that. I then tried a system restore and it said it sucessfully went through but I was still prompted with the same message when I rebooted. I then was worried about my personal files so I tried to bootup into safe mode and it also failed being prompted by the same screen. I then tried the reset option (kesp my files) and it when through, but when doing it’s second rebot to finalize the reset it would freeze and have a BSOD and undo the changes. I did something risky and selected the reset all and the same thing happened. Luckly I remembered I have a USB to SATA 3 adapter and connected my drive to my mini laptop to extract my personal files. I then secured erased my SSD and reinstalled windows. When installing drivers I noticed my graphics card driver had a orange triangle on it so I figured it’s just that I need to install the drivers. So I did from nvidia’s website rebooted and the triangle still remaned. I tried various version drivers uninstalled with DDU and nothing. I right click the driver and it says code 43 on it. I fear that my GPU is now dead due to this windows update. Everything was fine no issue prior to it. I have pulled out my hair for the past 2 days trying to solve it. I even downgraded to Windows 8.1 and the issue still resides.

:)

OVisuals, Oct 12, 2018
  2. HAT
    hat Win User

Windows Update suddenly hangs?

Windows Update is suddenly hanging for some reason... I went and downloaded and installed the first bunch of updates, restarted when asked, and now when I go back to windows update I just get the window with a white box forever. Reboot and it still does it. This happens to be on my main machine, running windows 7.

I've also noticed when I reboot it says configuring windows update, step 3 of 3, 47%. Maybe it somehow skipped something and is screwed forever?

3. 3Colors Win User
    Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Windows update r1809 screwed up my laptop :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Oct 12, 2018
  4. user33331 Win User

Laptop screws and broken spinning threaded nuts :-(

Hello
    Is there a trick to open original never opened laptop screws ?
    If I open like 10 screws about 2/10pcs always have broken\loose spinning brass threaded nuts.
    I have opened a Lenovo(2008) and a HP(2015) laptop when trying to fit SSDs and both ended up with some spinning threaded nuts.
    -> When unable to open the case I just end up using a DVD drive caddy for the damn SSDs.
    • Laptop screws always have that massive amount of tip goo (=red or blue colored rubber thread seal) in threads which I believe is causing the spinning screw issue. Please Chinese we don't need the "goo".
    • Or the Chinese just over tighten the screws.
    • Also cheap thin plastic around brass nuts.

user33331, Oct 12, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows update r1809 screwed up my laptop - Similar Threads - update r1809 screwed

2. An update screwed up my new laptop!!!!!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    An update screwed up my new laptop!!!!!: Hello, I am hoping SOMEONE with REAL windows 10 knowledge can help me!Ever since a forced in, unstoppable, UNWANTED windows 10 update loaded itself into MY laptop, I can no longer open the "Start" menu, Action Center no longer opens and a few other things no longer...
  3. Update - Windows screwing up?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Update - Windows screwing up?: The last update went in fine but colour settings have gone a bit loopy. Suddenly my colours on games and desktop were really vivid - a real pain on the eyeballs. Eventually fixed that but lost my custom settings. Secondly my task bar along the bottom of the desktop had gone...
  4. Reset screwed up my laptop

Reset screwed up my laptop: Hi, My name is Pratyush, I just performed a full reset of my Laptop. But when it is complete, and I fill all my info and reach the desktop, I am not able to run any Modern UI apps and not able to sign in using a microsoft account. UWP apps and sign in Prompt crash on opening....
  5. Windows update last night screwed up my laptop

Windows update last night screwed up my laptop: Well, last night my Acer Nitro was automatically updated windows. I'm in an endless cycle of something went wrong and repairs fail. My only options seem to be reset and keep files or reset to factory settings. WTH?? I cannot get to anything but this blue screen. I just...
  6. Update screwed up my wifi

Update screwed up my wifi: WHY DID YOU DELETE MY WIFI? THE WHOLE DRIVE IS DELETED. NOT DEACTIVATED. DELETED. I'VE GONE THROUGH A DOZEN TROUBLESHOOTERS. IT SAYS I NEED TO REDOWNLOAD THE DRIVER. HOW DO I DO THAT <removed>? I HAVE NO WIFI! I DON'T OWN A BLEEDING ETHERNET CABLE THAT'S WHY I HAVE WIFI. I...
  7. Windows 10 update screwed up my laptop

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows 10 update screwed up my laptop: 1. Wont recognize my pin 2. Wont let me reset, gives an error mssg 3. On airplane mode and does not give an option to connect https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-update-screwed-up-my-laptop/2ea4ed42-613b-49f6-acb0-7b0914d5bf6b
  8. Windows update screwed up my PC

Windows update screwed up my PC: I allowed a update and now my laptop is a paper weight. I get an error popup window that says the desktop file is missing. Can not find that file on other laptops and none of the apps are visible. The windows icon does not do anything except change color when curser is over...
  9. Update screw up

Update screw up: My Laptop did the Windows update about two months ago and ever since then I have not been able to sign into my Laptop and have it save anything. It says Unable to sign you into your account, you are signed in with a temporary account and your information will not be saved....
  10. W10 screwed up my laptop

in Windows 10 Support
    W10 screwed up my laptop: I upgraded to w10 pro from w7 pro. I thought all was well, but yesterday the screen went sideways - tried to drag it and went to settings , no help. I restored a saved image (Macrium) and I got the screen back, but it did it again. I installed an external hdd ( has...