Windows 10: Windows Update reinstates settings that I had deliberately changed

Discus and support Windows Update reinstates settings that I had deliberately changed in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; The big Windows updates seem to think they know better than me! I have set Windows Update not to download driver updates. This is because I have had... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by thelordgiveth, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Windows Update reinstates settings that I had deliberately changed

The big Windows updates seem to think they know better than me!

I have set Windows Update not to download driver updates. This is because I have had problems losing sound (on a laptop) and with the display (on a desktop) and as far as I can see there is no means of rolling these back within Windows Update itself, unlike updates of Microsoft software.

Hey presto, Fall update or whatever comes along and I find my display is messed up again, for example. I can sort it by rolling back the driver but that's not the point. If I disable automatic driver updates, that should be for life, not till Microsoft decide otherwise. (The loss of sound was much more problematic and I am dreading that going wrong again.)

Has anyone else had similar issues?

:)

thelordgiveth, Dec 30, 2017

2. Maps on N8

Thanks - but why?

How many more little settings were changed during the update? Any decent software would grab the settings before the update and reinstate those once it had completed the core update.

Polchraine, Dec 30, 2017
  3. Loss of Color display.

Since reinstating the factory settings and running all applicable updates I have had no further issues.

The only noticeable change from the status when the problem manifested itself and the current "normal" status is the use of Intel instead of NIvidia controlling my graphics settings. I was not aware what controlled the graphics prior to the problem. It
    may have been an automatic update that changed to Nvidia from Intel that I was not aware of.

markdavies2, Dec 30, 2017
  4. Windows Update reinstates settings that I had deliberately changed

Hi thelordgiveth. Welcome to the TenForums @thelordgiveth

Short answer, yes.

While these Feature Updates are called updates they are essentially an OS replacement. You will also see that during the update it will install the latest driver for your devices. I have a wireless card and after every Feature update the driver is updated and I know I have driver updates off.

After each Feature update I reset the option to not get driver updates and I install the working version. Your working driver is very likely on your machine, mine is saved through the process.

Go into device manager, right click device, update driver then Browse my computer and then Let me pick. I also keep the exe in a safe place.

You might want to look at this tool Topgundcp posted.

Drivers 101

Please don't get me wrong. You will see enough of my postings where I say don't update drivers just because. You will also see lots of issues where video driver updates implemented during the Update result in machines not functioning. So I'm in your camp.

Other may have a different experience.

Caledon Ken, Dec 30, 2017
  5. dalchina New Member
    Various settings may be changed on these major build upgrades.

Why? Surmise, but one basic precept is to try to keep systems running stably - whereas Win 7 had hundreds of updates and 3 major service packs, Win 10 replaces all system files and rewrites some registry settings. This is intended, I suppose, to provide a more consistent user experience. Which all sounds great- until you find they've actually broken sthg that wasn't a problem before.

In your case disabling driver updates would be exceptional, and in any case, an upgrade means you get a new set of drivers. So disabling driver updates given that makes no sense - in general.

However it is also the case that some users find on new driver now causes a problem- and they have to revert to an older one- not often, but typically it's a video driver.

You can disable specific updates, rather than all driver updates.

The fact we have to face is that there's a huge non-standard range of hardware out there- and a lot of it is not validated for Win 10, but users upgrade to Win 10 regardless.

Upgrades may break some installed programs- e.g. security programs. Possibly one or two others in my experience.

System Restore is always turned off with a major upgrade. That seems wrong.

Sadly a degree of defensiveness and technical awareness is required- this is not a true consumer product in my view. If it were, the OS and user drivers, folders, programs would be totally isolated from the OS, and one could upgrade and reinstall the OS independently of programs. I doubt Windows will ever be such an OS. We have to live in a non-ideal world.

dalchina, Dec 30, 2017
  6. Thanks for responses. Very much as I feared. Before I upgraded from Win 7 the compatibility tool assured me that all my kit was compatible with Windows 10. The Canon website was insistent that the scanner element of my MFP was not. I put off the upgrade until the device broke. But it left me not trusting Microsoft's assessments of compatibility, something borne out by the Feature Updates insisting on replacing a driver which does work with one which does not. The only answer seems to be to know where the correct (i e working) drivers are and roll them back, if necessary uninstalling first.

One other point I noticed. I have both normal and safe mode as options on my boot menu (plus a Macrium recovery option, I think). From time to time safe mode goes missing and the usual methods for reinstating ti do not work. Then, hey presto, it comes back, without any further action on my part. I am wondering whether that is also something to do with Feature Updates. Given that going into safe mode is recommended when problems arise, its non-availability is a bit worrying, though perhaps it is necessary to prevent an update going wrong when the computer is powered up.

It may well be that this sort of behaviour is the lesser of two evils but it does bug me that we are sold the idea that everything in the garden is lovely and the possibility of such issues only becomes clear once they have happened.

thelordgiveth, Jan 1, 2018
  7. Not sure about safe mode disappearing from menu. Not sure why a Feature update would alter and then restore,

There are other ways to achieve like holding shift key down and clicking restart, takes you to Advance Startup Options, or two failed boots.

Caledon Ken, Jan 1, 2018
  8. dalchina New Member

Windows Update reinstates settings that I had deliberately changed

dalchina, Jan 1, 2018
  9. I forgot one other annoyance! The Feature updates also seem to reinstate hybrid shutdown, something I had switched off because the first boot after a shutdown was frequently failing. Again, easy to put right but another indication of the process's lack of respect for the user.

I dare say that some of my problems are to do with having a computer that is seven years old (with a replacement motherboard) and getting s-l-o-w-e-r...

thelordgiveth, Jan 6, 2018
  10. Yes older gear isn't as fast but I think we all have to stop thinking of Features updates as patches. You are installing an OS, a changing OS.

Could they do better, sure.

Caledon Ken, Jan 6, 2018
  11. dalchina New Member
    - I noticed the same. Mine's about 18 months old.

It's best just to keep a list of things that are changed on upgrading ready for next time. I keep a simple text log of changes, so if I need to revert to an earlier disk image, say, I know roughly what changes I've made since that image.

dalchina, Jan 6, 2018
  12. Trouble is, the Feature Updates come in the same way as patch updates and if you are not concentrating (or if you are most users?) they just sort of happen.

Now I am wise to it I do have a list of what needs checking, so I should be OK. While I was aware that Windows 10 was being managed in a different way to earlier versions, I don't recall having seen any warnings that settings that the user wanted (or in some cases absolutely needed) to change could get trashed. You find out the hard way. It is particularly hard when getting earache from an (even) less computer savvy family member whose laptop is misbehaving following an update.

I sort of understand that for many users it probably is safest to work it this way but I rather resent Microsoft deciding we should all be treated as idiots! I half expect Donald Trump to be tweeting that we are going to have a Great Features Update...

In an ideal world I would want to identify what is actually causing the various issues that reoccur after Features Updates - dodgy drivers, hybrid shutdown and (though it may be unrelated to updates) the safe mode issue but life is too short!

Thanks for the replies anyway.

thelordgiveth, Jan 6, 2018
  13. dalchina New Member

Hi, as you have Pro, there is actually no need to be not in control of Windows updates to a significant degree.
    Using the Group Policy Editor you can
    - set Windows updates to Notify you so you get an Action Centre notification, then see what updates there are available, then approve their download (or not)
    - defer feature upgrades for up to 365 days
    - have control of when restarts occur using Active Hours and group policy.

Note: WinAero's free tweaker also allow you to set updates to Notify.

And yes, it's frustrating that these options aren't exposed in a more obvious manner, and that the default gives the worst user experience (in my opinion, FWIW).

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Update reinstates settings that I had deliberately changed - Similar Threads - Update reinstates settings

2. Microsoft "IS" Deliberately Blocking Windows 7 Activations

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft "IS" Deliberately Blocking Windows 7 Activations: This will likely not surprise many people here that Microsoft is deliberately blocking Windows 7 activation's. They'll never admit to it even in spite of proof that shows they are in fact doing so...I'm sure they will be some here that will disagree with me as is their right,...
  3. Is Microsoft deliberately making Windows 11 bad?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is Microsoft deliberately making Windows 11 bad?: I feel like they are and I wouldn't be surprised considering that the world is ran by Satanic pedophiles. Why all of the bugs? Why so many issues with this OS? All it would take is a SINGLE skilled programmer to solve every last one of these issues..So why is Microsoft hiring...
  4. Why does OneDrive automatically reinstate the same account I had just removed from my...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does OneDrive automatically reinstate the same account I had just removed from my...: I've got 2 separate "personal" accounts don't ask why, I just do... with account 1 on my handheld and account 2 that backs up my windows 11 laptop that has a couple of files on that account 2 OneDrive I desperately require remote access to... but when I try to login to...
  5. Why does OneDrive automatically reinstate the same account I had just removed from my...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does OneDrive automatically reinstate the same account I had just removed from my...: I've got 2 separate "personal" accounts don't ask why, I just do... with account 1 on my handheld and account 2 that backs up my windows 11 laptop that has a couple of files on that account 2 OneDrive I desperately require remote access to... but when I try to login to...
  6. Reinstate old Window version

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reinstate old Window version: Hi, I updated Windows a couple of days ago and it mucked up my Brother printer's output from USB port. I wanted to restore Windows to previous version but the system says that it cannot do that as my new version is more than 10 days old. What on earthe is going on? Tom...
  7. Reinstating Microsoft Word

Reinstating Microsoft Word: I tried to install Microsoft Word on another profile on the laptop and it has subsequently erased it off the main profile and I can't reinstate it. I had purchased the Office package as a one off payment in 2018...
  8. updates changing settings

updates changing settings: Is there a way to get the updates without completely resetting all of the settings on my computer? Cortana is irredeemable. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/updates-changing-settings/17e9ab32-37ec-45f8-ae10-4d9300a8bf2e
  9. Change Windows Update Settings

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Change Windows Update Settings: Is it possible with windows 10 (like windows 7) where I can change the Windows Update Settings so I get notified if there are new updates available and download them, rather than Windows just downloading and installing the updates? So if there was an update I didn't want...
  10. Can I change Windows Update settings in Win10?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can I change Windows Update settings in Win10?: I'm asking out of curiosity more then anything, since Windows Update has a heading saying "Some settings are managed by your system administrator". I'm just curious if someone's already found a way around that, lol, or if it's somehow hardcoded in the Tech Preview. 2070