Windows 10: Windows update removes earlier restore points

Discus and support Windows update removes earlier restore points in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Some earlier automatic Windows 10 updates removed all my earlier restore points and set the protection settings of the C: disk off. The recent Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by PiKo, Jan 29, 2016.

1. PiKo Win User

Windows update removes earlier restore points

Some earlier automatic Windows 10 updates removed all my earlier restore points and set the protection settings of the C: disk off.
    The recent Windows 10 update (Jan 29) again removed all my earlier restore points. This time the protection setting of my C: disk was still on, but the settings of the disk space usage was set so low by the update that there was space only for one restore point (the critical update).
    What the hell is Windows Pro 10 doing?

:)

2. Windows 10 cumulative Update 10586.122 destroy Xinput and create problem

Hello Dovella,

We understand your concern in this regard.

We'll try to do that. But suggest you to check this issue by removing that suspected Windows Updates to see if it makes any difference. Follow the steps mentioned in my earlier post for uninstalling that particular Windows Update.

Moreover you can also try performing System Restore.
    If an app or update that you recently installed caused problems with your PC, you can restore Windows back to an earlier point in time, called a restore point. System Restore doesn’t change your personal files, but it might remove recently installed apps and
    drivers.

Note: Windows automatically creates a restore point when you install desktop apps and new Windows updates, if the last restore point is older than 7 days. You can also create a restore point manually at any time.

To restore your PC to an earlier point in time

* Press Windows Key + R to open run command

* Type rstrui and hit Enter key.

* Select Recommended Restore or any other restore point and click
    Next

* Follow the instructions to restore your PC to earlier.

Keep us posted if you require further assistance.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Jan 29, 2016
  3. Missing .dll error during startup on Windows 10

Hello Gerald,

Thank you for getting back to us with an update.

Try to restore your PC to earlier point of time. If an app or update that you recently installed caused problems with your PC, you can restore Windows back to an earlier point in time, called a restore point. System Restore doesn’t
    change your personal files, but it might remove recently installed apps and drivers.

Note: Windows automatically creates a restore point when you install desktop apps and new Windows updates, if the last restore point is older than 7 days. You can also create a restore point manually at any time.

To restore your PC to an earlier point in time

* Press Windows Key + R to open run command

* Type rstrui and hit Enter key.

* Select Recommended Restore or any other restore point and click
    Next

* Follow the instructions to restore your PC to earlier.

Keep us posted the outcome.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Jan 29, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, good to keep an eye on these. However, I still have restore points prior to last installed update (28.1) and restore space is fine.

Build 10586 (November) - virtually a reinstallation- left system restore off. By its very nature, earlier system restore points were irrelevant. Ive not noticed an issue with subsequent updates, other than MS policy seems to now be not to set a restore point prior to an update.

Do use disk imaging periodically as well.. it's not enough to rely on system restore alone.

dalchina, Jan 29, 2016
  5. PiKo Win User
    It was update KB3124262 erasing my restore points.
    Two months ago I had a system crash and it appeared then, that the Windows system image recovery in W10 did not function. It always worked in W7.
    Now I only trust third party software for imaging and backup.

6. davidhk Win User
    You are not the only one, and this is not restricted to the Pro version.
    Same applies to my Win 10 Home........... System Protection was turned off, system restore points were removed. In fact ths new install also removed one of my settings. There could be more, but I only notice one.
    I suppose it was meant to be this way ?
    Now that we know

davidhk, Jan 29, 2016
  7. davidhk Win User
    This is the setting that was changed back to default............. prompt.
    I had it set to "Enable" but was changed back to "Prompt" by the system.

Windows update removes earlier restore points [​IMG]

davidhk, Jan 29, 2016
  8. Windows update removes earlier restore points

I have the same problem. After the update I went to make a new restore point for something else and the previous one's
    were all gone.
    System Protection was still turned on but, the space allocated for restore point's was minimal.
    Until I saw this thread I could not figure out what did it.

Edit: After re-reading the OP, I did have this happen previously also. I don't remember after which update.

COMPUTIAC Guest, Jan 29, 2016
  9. dalchina New Member
    Curious that some systems are affected and not others.. I'd hate to be responsible for trying to identify the difference.

dalchina, Jan 29, 2016
  10. It's worth noting that Windows System Restore (WSR) is inside the OS, so anything that changes, attacks, alters the OS is going to affect WSR. I used to rely on the service for years but I can't. I mean in my heart I want to trust Microsoft products and use them considering I'm using a Microsoft OS!

If you're open to it there's freeware alternatives to WSR that work a lot better. Shadow Defender and RollBack Rx spring to mind.

HanginJang, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows update removes earlier restore points - Similar Threads - update removes earlier

2. Earlier restore point

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Earlier restore point: Can I create an earlier restore point then that is currently available https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/earlier-restore-point/191c20d1-7257-4298-b412-a4d033e22b85
  3. Restore to earlier restore point impossible

Restore to earlier restore point impossible: Error Message: System restore was not successful. The computer's system files and settings have not been changed. Details: The file C: \ Users \ Reima \ iCloudDrive could not be extracted from the restore point. Unknown system restore failure. 0x8007045b...
  4. Windows 10: If I restore to earlier restore point, can I then go back to the original point?

Windows 10: If I restore to earlier restore point, can I then go back to the original point?: I'm having a problem with my desktop icons, for no reason that I can ascertain. Web searches turn up nothing related to what I'm seeing. I'm thinking of going back to a restore point prior to the day this anomalous behavior appeared, but if that doesn't fix the probelm, can I...
  5. restore windows 10 pc to an earlier restore point?

restore windows 10 pc to an earlier restore point?: How do I restore my windows 10 pc to an earlier restore point? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restore-windows-10-pc-to-an-earlier-restore-point/d507e140-a81b-4bd8-a55f-5be3758b1006
  6. restore computer to an earlier point using windows 10

restore computer to an earlier point using windows 10: I needed to install a Windows ipod driver, and did not go to the correct website, and downloaded and installed software, now I cannot get iTunes to run. I need to restore my computer to the point before I installed the software. I've done it a few years back, but forgot...
  7. how to restore windows 10 to earlier restore point

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    how to restore windows 10 to earlier restore point: I need to reset mt windows 10 computer to an earlier restore point. I've tried cortina but the directions for step 1 - to click on "all programs" in the left side bar - doesn't exist. I also tried searching control panel for "all programs" which offered several options,...
  8. how to restore windows 10 to earlier restore point

in Windows 10 Support
    how to restore windows 10 to earlier restore point: I need to reset mt windows 10 computer to an earlier restore point. I've tried cortina but the directions for step 1 - to click on "all programs" in the left side bar - doesn't exist. I also tried searching control panel for "all programs" which offered several options,...
  9. Windows update removed restore points

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows update removed restore points: so one has to recreate that. Too bad one cannot go back. Wanted to use a restore point because all of a sudden my Outlook 2016 is gone. Off course one cannot find this when scrolling down after hitting the left corner and hitting then "all apps", where it is not seen. I...
  10. Restore Points removed

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restore Points removed: I find that the oldest restore points regularly disappear even though I have system recovery on and more than adequate disc space allocated. Am I missing something? 37219