Windows 10: Windows update rendered PC unbootable

Discus and support Windows update rendered PC unbootable in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Split from this thread. Hi I´ve just updated my windows to this version and crushed it. But this is the 3rd time. Every windows update I have to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by AlexandreCaruso, Apr 20, 2021.

1. Windows update rendered PC unbootable

Split from this thread.​

Hi I´ve just updated my windows to this version and crushed it. But this is the 3rd time. Every windows update I have to reinstall because I always try all options, stick bootable, run diagnostic, restore point I don't know why it exists never works, in the end, I have to reinstall I have to select the Windows version 10 I have to run in the beginning.

Yesterday, I was working fine, after update, went to sleep, today in the morning, blue screen to repair. Never, ever works.

Restore, uninstall update quality, performance or resources I guess nothing!!

I have this curiosity if someone used these options sucessfully.

Any tip for this time?

Sorry for this msg but I'm too disappointed and frustrated.

Pls look over my English mistakes.

:)

AlexandreCaruso, Apr 20, 2021
  2. OmarDR Win User

Feature Update 1607 renders Windows installation unbootable

My computer was fully functional until Feature Update 1607 was installed last night. Upon rebooting as part of the install process, the BIOS could no longer locate an OS on my Windows drive. The bios is giving me the same error you get when you have try
    to start a computer that doesn't have an OS on it.

Steps I have taken:

1. I attempted to use a Windows CD to repair startup, but it didn't work.

2. I reformatted the computer. This works up until Windows Update pushes Feature Update 1607. Upon installation of Feature Update 1607, the BIOS is again unable to locate an OS on the drive.

3. I reformatted again. This time, before the update could be installed, I downloaded the "Windows Show and Hide Update troubleshooting tool (wushowhide.exe) and hid the Feature Update 1607 update. Every other update has been applied except that one and
    the computer is functioning as expected.

My PC is working fine now without the update but I'm afraid at some point Feature Update 1607 will be required. It seems impossible to install this update without rendering my installation unbootable.

Here are some details of my setup that may prove useful:

1. My PC is a Gateway DX4870-UB318 running the P11.B1 BIOS version.

2. The hard drive is an 80gb Intel SSD 320 running the latest firmware (4PC10362).

3. I have added more drives besides the SSD, but this is not affecting this bug because when I reformatted, I disconnected all of the other drives until I got this issue figured out and only reconnected them once I had reached step 3 above.

OmarDR, Apr 20, 2021
  3. Bug Report: Windows 10 rollback to Windows 7 crashes system, renders drive unbootable.

Hello Sam,

I realize that the rollback to previous Windows did not work from Windows 10 to Windows 7. We will help you.

To assist you better, I suggest you to answer the below questions.

• Did you get any error messages when the roll back stopped?
    • Is the operating system unbootable?
    • When was the Windows 10 upgraded?
    Please post to us with more information to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Apr 20, 2021
  4. Windows update rendered PC unbootable

Unbootable pc after firmware update

Unbootable pc after firmware update.

Richard H.Ellenberg, Apr 20, 2021
Thema:

Windows update rendered PC unbootable

1. Windows update rendered PC unbootable - Similar Threads - update rendered unbootable

2. Recent update rendered my pc unusable

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recent update rendered my pc unusable: Pc was working fine last night until I restarted to install a new update. Update failed and pc rolled back to the prior version. Since then, on startup I'm either greeted by a black screen that I can move the cursor around in, but do nothing else, or after I've entered my...
  3. 20H2 update rendered my PC useless

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    20H2 update rendered my PC useless: I have an Alienware R8 with RTX 2070. I started off with that because people with a somewhat related issue are saying that they are stuck on the boot screen but in my case my computer displays nothing at all. After the update I can power up my PC and the lights on the desktop...
  4. My pc is in an unbootable state

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My pc is in an unbootable state: I don't know what to do Every time I try launch I will see the Asus logo for a few seconds followed by a dark blue screen. Is there a way I can factory reset from outside of the pc? I was trying all night and I kept giving me error after error why it couldn't. submitted by...
  5. Windows Update makes system unbootable

Windows Update makes system unbootable: Before the update my Razer hardware stopped working with windows but worked everywhere else installation and recovery. even UEFI Mouse didn't move the cursor, headset - no issues, only software doesn't see it. However I couldn't install the driver because installers...
  6. Recent update made windows unbootable

Recent update made windows unbootable: Hi, the latest windows update made it impossible for me to boot into windows. The system just restarts after the bios loads so I can't even get into safe mode or other options. I have a copy of Ubuntu on a second hard drive. Is there any way to fix my windows installation...
  7. Enabling Bitlocker with UEFI Secure Boot enabled renders the device unbootable

Enabling Bitlocker with UEFI Secure Boot enabled renders the device unbootable: Hi all, Wondering if some of you may be able to shed some light on this. We've been enabling Bitlocker on some client machines, but have been finding that with this enabled, and the device rebooted, the device can no longer see the bootable device, so gets stuck in the BIOS....
  8. 2004 Update Renders PC unusable

2004 Update Renders PC unusable: Updated to Windows 10 version 2004 last night and now the PC is nearly unusable. It took more than 14 hours. When I'm able to run the Task Manager, I see that only 5% of CPU, 32% of RAM, and 2% of Disk SSD is being used. I have over 380 GB of disk space, so none of those...
  9. May Update - Computer Unbootable

May Update - Computer Unbootable: Hello and thank for any help. After an update I'm fairly sure restarted my Windows 10 machine on Monday May 18th, I logged in to find many drivers not working, no internet, etc. Tried to restart, but wouldn't restart and Startup Repair failed. I was thankfully able to do...
  10. 9/1/2016 update rendered my machine unbootable . . .

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    9/1/2016 update rendered my machine unbootable . . .: -Don't know what number update this was that I automatically received yesterday, but it left my current configuration unbootable, so that even my Macrium Reflect "Fix Boot Errors" could not fix it . . . -Ran my last Full Backup from Reflect's Rescue disk, mid-August, and I...