Windows 10: windows update replaced conhost.exe but the file is not included in the update binary

Discus and support windows update replaced conhost.exe but the file is not included in the update binary in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; We‘re performing file security analysis based on the source (where files are coming from). A Windows 10 update installs a new conhost.exe but we... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by _T_V_, May 16, 2019.

1. _T_V_ Win User

windows update replaced conhost.exe but the file is not included in the update binary

We‘re performing file security analysis based on the source (where files are coming from).

A Windows 10 update installs a new conhost.exe but we cannot find out where the file is coming from. It doesn't seem to be in the .cab file of the update.

This is what we did:

1. install windows 10 1809 v2 (c:\windows\system32\conhost.exe md5 is 4c41666923a14dc687deee3b143afb55)
    2. let Windows install update kb4501835 (windows10.0-kb4501835-x64_a8a91185c1cf9b9fefa6e9e07fc3d74c45fb2fee)
    3. After finishing the installation of this update and rebooting, c:\windows\system32\conhost.exe md5 hash is c221707e5ce93515ac87507e19181e2a
    Where‘s that conhost.exe coming from?
    Windows 10 update history just says that it installed the Update kb4501835. So we manually downloaded kb4501835-x64 from here, expanded it to a temp dir, expanded the resulting file Windows10.0-KB4501835-x64_PSFX.cab to another temp dir. (commands used: c:\Windows\System32\expand.exe -R %FILE% -F:* 1\)

In this tmp directory, we found two conhost.exe with md5 d810493b38380e30855f1e9e7d395000 andebf996ce7169609d9b892b5a79297611

So neither of the two conhost.exes in the kb4501835-x64 has the md5 c221707e5ce93515ac87507e19181e2a

Question:
    Where is that new conhost.exe coming from if it‘s not in the update .CAB? We can verify the .cat based signature with signtool, so yes, it‘s apparently from Microsoft and signed and everything is alright, but we need to know the origin of files that are replaced on disk.

Any hint?

:)

_T_V_, May 16, 2019
  2. trparky Win User

Microsoft Decreasing Windows 10 Updates Downtime in Fall Creators Update

I don't think Windows will ever be able to do live/hot patching due to the limitations in the file systems of Windows. On Windows you can't change a file that's currently in use be it an EXE or DLL file. This limitation of course has caused application developers to have to create special routines to replace their binaries as part of application update procedures. I myself have done this for my own programs which usually includes downloading a new binary file to a new file like "application.exe.new.exe" and executing it with a "-update" switch. This isn't a problem on Linux due to its use of iNodes at the file system level. The file system on Linux is fundamentally different than NTFS which allows Linux to patch in-use binaries.

trparky, May 16, 2019
  3. AsRock Win User
    Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, May 16, 2019
  4. bigscale Win User

windows update replaced conhost.exe but the file is not included in the update binary

windows automatic updates

i have some questions about the windows automatic updates in windows xp pro w sp/2. ive got about forty updates they recommend , mostly for security but i only installed two today. after installing them i found them in my add/remove programs in the control panel, if i add all these updates that is a lot of space on my hd almost 1 gig. i thought that updates just updated files and not created new programs. should i innore all these update suggestions from microsoft?

bigscale, May 16, 2019
Thema:

1. windows update replaced conhost.exe but the file is not included in the update binary - Similar Threads - update replaced conhost

2. How to disable the .exe file updating?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to disable the .exe file updating?: I have .exe file on my Windows 10. This program updates sometimes, but it works without updates and I do not want to use it with updates. Can you help me to disable .exe file updating?...
  3. How to disable the .exe file updating?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to disable the .exe file updating?: I have .exe file on my Windows 10. This program updates sometimes, but it works without updates and I do not want to use it with updates. Can you help me to disable .exe file updating?...
  4. How to disable the .exe file updating?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. conhost,exe using IMMENSE amount of memory.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    conhost,exe using IMMENSE amount of memory.: conhost.exe as shown in the screenshot is using high amounts of memory. When I first booted up my laptop Lenovo Ideapad Gaming 3 it was at 2000 MEGABYTES! 2 WHOLE gigabytes of ram...Things I have tried:Step 1: Run the SFC.Click on the Start button, Type CMD.Right click on CMD...
  6. conhost,exe using IMMENSE amount of memory.

conhost,exe using IMMENSE amount of memory.: conhost.exe as shown in the screenshot is using high amounts of memory. When I first booted up my laptop Lenovo Ideapad Gaming 3 it was at 2000 MEGABYTES! 2 WHOLE gigabytes of ram...Things I have tried:Step 1: Run the SFC.Click on the Start button, Type CMD.Right click on CMD...
  7. exe files will not run unless .exe extension is included in command

exe files will not run unless .exe extension is included in command: cannot run an exe file in CMD administrator I posted about it a long time ago, but I've never been able to run anything without an .exe. . . . *Huh [img] Power Shell works just fine with out an .exe, though. . . ? . 172679
  8. rundll32.exe replacement?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    rundll32.exe replacement?: This morning MalwareBytes started throwing flags that rundll32.exe (in C:\Windows\SysWOW64\rundll32.exe) was trying to open blocked websites marked as a trojan. Unfortunately, neither Avast, MalwareBytes, or Microsoft Defender think it's an infected file and using sfc/scannow...
  9. exe file latest update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    exe file latest update: how to back up my data please help me then i want to install exe file but always connected to microsoft play store how i can fix this... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/exe-file-latest-update/fd1b254a-4d80-4077-9c1c-5c8074ac6241
  10. Windows Defender - Binary Files

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender - Binary Files: Windows Defender ("WD") has identified an Excel file with a Trojan:Script/Foretype.A!ml . The file had a lot of ordinary VBA code I wrote for myself. WD removed from the file all the code (vbaProject.bin ?). Where the code or the original file was quarantined ? I need to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. conhos.exe missing signature