Windows 10: Windows Update resets configurations

Discus and support Windows Update resets configurations in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi. I am facing a problem here. I noticed that after some updates some configurations are reset to it's default. For example, I do not like the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by furtica, Jan 17, 2017.

1. furtica Win User

Windows Update resets configurations

Hi. I am facing a problem here. I noticed that after some updates some configurations are reset to it's default.

For example, I do not like the extra Removable Disk icon that is shown in duplicity in Windows Explorer. So I have a registry key file that alters that so Windows explorer shows only one removable item icon. After some Windows update updates, that configuration is reset to default.

Also in Edge some configuration is lost. The main page is reset to a default as if I never had ran Edge before. I also lost some favorites.

Is there a way to block that? Or it is the way Windows update Works now and I have to live with it?

Thank you.a

:)

furtica, Jan 17, 2017
  2. Bruce429 Win User

KB3084124 Fails on Update and Standalone Install

Cannot update KB3081424 on Windows Update or Standalone. Asks to reset. Then says Configuring, (no % shown),then quickly restarts with the configuring message again. I later get the notification "We couldn't finish installing updates"

Bruce429, Jan 17, 2017
  3. w10 Mobile People App Lost Custom Ringtones - again

Hi Mart,

Windows update usually reset the configuration of your device especially if the update is for the purpose of replacing any KB update. So any options to do it is not possible only if you have backed up the settings configuration.

Winter Firefly, Jan 17, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

Welcome to TenForums @furtica

There are two types of updates, the monthly cumulative updates (which shouldn't reset any settings) and the occasional Features Update, the most recent being the Anniversary Update to version 1607.

A Features Update is effectively an upgrade to a new version of Windows, so it's not surprising some setting get reset to defaults. In particular, a new version of Edge was installed with 1607. This is why it appears as if you've never run it before - you haven't, not this version at least. Your bookmarks should all have been preserved, but you may well have lost the 'Top Sites' tiles you see on a 'New Tab' page.

5. furtica Win User
    Bree, thank you for your answer. I notice the configuration reset after the 1607 update. But in some cases the reset continues to happen. The last one was the last big update of last week (KB3213986). After the update, some configuration was reset again. I think that all cumulative updates reset some configs. If that so, it is a bummer.. Microsoft should not do that.

furtica, Jan 18, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    The Settings app had quite a makeover in 1607. There were a number of settings I had to change to suit my preferences, but as I recall this was more to do with new settings that had been added to the Settings app (previously found in obscure corners of the control panel) than existing settings that had reverted to defaults. I don't recall any of my settings changing with KB3213986 though.

Which settings change for you with KB3213986?

7. As an observer, I to have noticed that some CU's do reset certain item, others do not. The last update did reset the reg fix to remove the drives from the navigation pane in file explorer.

storageman, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Update resets configurations - Similar Threads - Update resets configurations

2. Reset windows to first configuration

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reset windows to first configuration: My windows 10 is stuck on language downloading and also on rebooting. How can I reset it back to the first configuration where windows asks to set the language and other options for the first time?Thanks[Moved to IT-IT to EN-US]...
  3. Reset windows to first configuration

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reset windows to first configuration: My windows 10 is stuck on language downloading and also on rebooting. How can I reset it back to the first configuration where windows asks to set the language and other options for the first time?Thanks[Moved to IT-IT to EN-US]...
  4. Reset windows to first configuration

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows 11 - USB configuration reset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 - USB configuration reset: The story: I have speakers that are connected via usb. When I try to control volume - something weird happens, instead of smooth volume change - I hear steps plus sometimes volume jumps to 100%.At the same time if I connect speakers to the front USB port - everything works...
  6. Windows 11 - USB configuration reset

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 - USB configuration reset: The story: I have speakers that are connected via usb. When I try to control volume - something weird happens, instead of smooth volume change - I hear steps plus sometimes volume jumps to 100%.At the same time if I connect speakers to the front USB port - everything works...
  7. Failure configuring windows update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Failure configuring windows update: I tried getting on my acer laptop this morning and it's been an hour and a half and my blue screen still says failure configuring windows updates reverting changes do not turn off computer. Tried a reboot with f8 and can't get into rebooting screen...
  8. Windows keeping configurations after hard reset

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows keeping configurations after hard reset: I had some problems with my computer and i updated some drivers with the driver easy app, and i think it may have installed some wrong drivers on my computer. So i did a hard reset, selecting to wipe all files and use the cloud to download the Windows 10, after the reset was...
  9. Reset the keyboard configuration.

in Windows 10 Support
    Reset the keyboard configuration.: The keyboard configuration has not worked properly for me, the CTRL key has been deactivated, I have tried to configure it from accessibility, this I have not achieved.In totally use the CTRL key for copies and for other functions of programs that I use. There may be some...
  10. Configuring Windows Update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Configuring Windows Update: I have configured Windows Updates on my Windows 10 Pro system using GPEdit to "Notify before downloading or installing any updates". Unless I am misunderstanding what this really means, it seems to be ignoring this setting. When I check for updates, it automatically starts...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. reset windows update configuration