Windows 10: Windows Update restart vs. shutdown

Discus and support Windows Update restart vs. shutdown in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Every week or so, Microsoft wants me to update my Surface book 3 with the latest windows update. Fine, i get that. What i do not understand is it can... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by AT de Jong, Apr 6, 2021.

1. Windows Update restart vs. shutdown

Every week or so, Microsoft wants me to update my Surface book 3 with the latest windows update. Fine, i get that.

What i do not understand is it can somehow only install on a restart. When i click start , power, it shows 'update and restart', but not update and shutdown

This means that to get the update i have to click 'restart and update' Wait for the thing to do the update, and then when it is finally finished, i can shutdown the laptop.

This is the most inconvenient update scheme you can imagine. Its like bringing your car to the dealership for new tires, and they will only work on the car when you stand next to it waiting for it to finish.

Is there a way to make it update without wasting my time?

What i have tried:

- Telling it to update at some point at night which it will only do when the laptop is on so that is useless

- Disabling fast startup, which did not give me extra options but only a slow startup

:)

AT de Jong, Apr 6, 2021
  2. little cat, Apr 6, 2021
  3. newtekie1 Win User
    Quick Tip: Easily Shutdown or Restart WITHOUT Installing Updates.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that has been in the situation of needing to shutdown a computer quickly, but there are updates waiting to install. Previous to Windows 8 you could at least restart without being forced to install the updates, and if you are quick you could hit the power button when the computer begins to POST and the computer will turn off. With Windows 8, now even restarting forces you to install the updates. You could use the cmd and Shutdown.exe to shutdown the machine, but I'm getting old and try to avoid the command prompt as much as possible.

Anyway, the easy way I've found to Shutdown or Restart without being forced to install the updates is to hit Ctrl+Alt+Del and use the power button in the bottom right on the screen that comes up. For whatever reason, this power button is the only one I've found in Windows 7/8 that gives the option to Shutdown or Restart without installing the updates.

Thought I'd share.

newtekie1, Apr 6, 2021
  4. Midnite8 Win User

Windows Update restart vs. shutdown

Cannot Shutdown or Restart W8.1

First update pack was successful and I can shutdown and restart normally.

Midnite8, Apr 6, 2021
Thema:

Windows Update restart vs. shutdown

1. Windows Update restart vs. shutdown - Similar Threads - Update restart shutdown

2. Sleep vs shutdown

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sleep vs shutdown: I just bought a new hard drive that is running Windows 11 Professional. Is it better to shut down the computer at the end of the day use it occasionally throughout the day, or is it better to have it go into sleep mode?Thanks,Carol...
  3. Sleep vs shutdown

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sleep vs shutdown: I just bought a new hard drive that is running Windows 11 Professional. Is it better to shut down the computer at the end of the day use it occasionally throughout the day, or is it better to have it go into sleep mode?Thanks,Carol...
  4. Shutdown/start vs restart...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shutdown/start vs restart...: what is the disparity in time duration for a shutdown/wait 20 sec./restarting @ 45 seconds, and restarting via WinKey+X/U/R @ 2 mins & 20+ secs In both cases no apps opened, of course. Clean slate and includes login....
  5. Shutdown/start vs restart...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shutdown/start vs restart...: what is the disparity in time duration for a shutdown/wait 20 sec./restarting @ 45 seconds, and restarting via WinKey+X/U/R @ 2 mins & 20+ secs In both cases no apps opened, of course. Clean slate and includes login....
  6. Shutdown/start vs restart...

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. About system errors on Shutdown vs. Restart

in Windows 10 Support
    About system errors on Shutdown vs. Restart: On shutdown then power button machine boots with very, very few errors. On restart for example after installing a major Windows 10 updatethere are multiple errors in computer management including the continually bedeviling DCOM errors. Windows 10 completely upgraded to latest...
  8. Restarting but showing as update and shutdown

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restarting but showing as update and shutdown: Hello, everytime i click on update and shutdown, it is updating and restarting automatically. Can anyone explain why it is restarting everytime?...
  9. Update and shutdown actually restarted and then shutdown!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Update and shutdown actually restarted and then shutdown!: Either I missed an important update change, or I am going crazy. The idea of Windows Update shutting down, just to be greeted by the finishing update when turning the computer back on was annoying to say the least. I know there was talks about requesting the update and...
  10. Reboot after Windows Update vs Shutdown and restart

in Windows 10 Support
    Reboot after Windows Update vs Shutdown and restart: Has anyone else noticed that after an update from Windows Update you "Must" do a Reboot for the installation/update to process. In prior versions of Windows when I would take an update, I might just wait until I shut the PC down for the night, and it would finish up in the...