Windows 10: Windows Update reverting to automatic after being manually disabled?

Discus and support Windows Update reverting to automatic after being manually disabled? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; 2 problems. 1) I disabled Windows Update in Services to avoid having to deal with the bullsh* updates. Later I put it on "manual" instead of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by gand5000, Mar 1, 2016.

1. gand5000 Win User

Windows Update reverting to automatic after being manually disabled?

2 problems.

1) I disabled Windows Update in Services to avoid having to deal with the bullsh* updates. Later I put it on "manual" instead of "disabled". Today I find that my computer is "installing updates" WITHOUT a) my permission and b) without notifying me that there were updates to install. This thrashed my hard drive with near constant 100% usage from something called Windows Modules Installer Worker. I killed the process, rebooted after some Adobe Reader issue (unrelated....I think). Upon selecting "restart" Windows informs me that it is updating my system WITHOUT my permission. It continues, updates, says finished, restarts to 0%, finishes, reboots.

Upon restart--which takes FOREVER by the way without the "updating" message, when it used to only take a few seconds to boot up--I go to Services where I find Windows Update is set on "running". Even though I manually stopped it, and set it to "manual trigger" start....

2) After restart when I am in Services to kill Windows Update and set to manual--again--I see something called Update Agent, set to run automatically. I do not remember this service from before, and I have no idea what it does different from Windows Update. I set it on manual as well.

What does Update Agent do differently from Windows Update? They are listed as separate services

What happened to make my computer update without my consent??

:)

gand5000, Mar 1, 2016

2. Windows 10 Update Virus

Once a decision has been made not to "upgrade" to windows 10, is there a way to eliminate the "Windows 10 Virus" that keeps popping up?

I have turned automatic Windows Update OFF and manually scan to avoid being surprised. I was able to revert back once and will not go through the effort again. If this machine becomes a Windows 10 machine, I will send it to Redmond as it will no longer
    be of value to me.

DOSisBetter, Mar 1, 2016
  3. Anniversary Update

Hi Andre,

I had problems after the AU so I have reverted to the previous build.

In order to prevent an automatic update, I have changed the setting for Windows Update to Disabled.

Can you please tell me which setting is the default, or which setting you recommend using if/when I want to enable the service?

Options:

Automatic (Delayed Start),

Automatic,

Manual

Disabled

Thank you,

Gerry Feenan

GerryFeenan, Mar 1, 2016
  4. Windows Update reverting to automatic after being manually disabled?

Manual means-Computer will start them whenever required and that is the reason updates started to Install.In order to disable Windows update service you need to diable the services named Windows update+Background Intelligence transfer service+Cryptographic services.They all are related to each other.

Sumit Dhiman, Mar 2, 2016
  5. gand5000 Win User
    Wait, so "manual" actually means "automatic" instead of manual operation?? Am I missing something? How does that even make sense?

Also, is it really necessary to disable both Background Intelligence Service and Cryptographic services? The blog posts I have seen on disabling automatic Windows Updates only mention disabling the windows update service, with no mention of the others, and people have responded that it seems to work just fine. Is that specific to certain builds and they have changed it recently?

If you or someone else wouldn't mind explaining the interplay between those 3 services that would be appreciated, because this doesn't make sense to me based on what I have read so far and I would like to understand.

gand5000, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows Update reverting to automatic after being manually disabled?

1. Windows Update reverting to automatic after being manually disabled? - Similar Threads - Update reverting automatic

2. Windows Update tries to revert my manual driver update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Update tries to revert my manual driver update: Hi,I'm running Windows 11 Home on my Acer Swift 3x and I downloaded my graphics driver using the Intel Driver and Support Assistant.However, Windows Update constantly reverting back my driver to the Acer one which last updated on 2021 and my graphics driver that I manually...
  3. Windows Update tries to revert my manual driver update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Update tries to revert my manual driver update: Hi,I'm running Windows 11 Home on my Acer Swift 3x and I downloaded my graphics driver using the Intel Driver and Support Assistant.However, Windows Update constantly reverting back my driver to the Acer one which last updated on 2021 and my graphics driver that I manually...
  4. BITS reverting from Automatically Delayed Start to Manual

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BITS reverting from Automatically Delayed Start to Manual: Title. This happens regularly, and causes Microsoft Outlook 365 to freeze and crash. I find myself having to revert the settings nearly every day. Please advise.Edition Windows 10 HomeVersion 21H1Installed on ‎1/‎3/‎2022OS build 19043.2006Experience Windows Feature Experience...
  5. BITS reverting from Automatically Delayed Start to Manual

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BITS reverting from Automatically Delayed Start to Manual: Title. This happens regularly, and causes Microsoft Outlook 365 to freeze and crash. I find myself having to revert the settings nearly every day. Please advise.Edition Windows 10 HomeVersion 21H1Installed on ‎1/‎3/‎2022OS build 19043.2006Experience Windows Feature Experience...
  6. BITS reverting from Automatically Delayed Start to Manual

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Disable Automatic Restarts After Windows Updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Disable Automatic Restarts After Windows Updates: I need a way to disable automatic restarts on Windows 10 Home. Setting active hours does not work. I have engineering programs that run on my system 24/7 and I'm tired of losing data because I come back in the morning to find that my computer randomly restarted during the...
  8. Disabled mousepad automatically being reset to enabled with update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disabled mousepad automatically being reset to enabled with update: My first choice for laptop purchase would be without a mousepad, but I am in a minority. I have turned off my mousepad a few times now and it keeps turning back on without me doing it. Accidentally brushing against the mousepad has always been a source of problems and I...
  9. Windows update automatically updated my system despite being Disabled!

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows update automatically updated my system despite being Disabled!: I'm very disappointed to know that my Windows 10 Home 64-Bit Edition does not respect my privacy whatsoever. Last week I upgraded to Windows 10 Home Edition (clean installation) for the first time from my previous Windows 8.1 OS that I had running for 4 years. I disabled...
  10. Ctfmon.exe automatically gets (Manual from being Automatic)

in Windows 10 Customization
    Ctfmon.exe automatically gets (Manual from being Automatic): When I boot my computer up I need to manually enable the "ctfmon.exe" everytime, Even after making it automatic it automatically gets manual. Need Help!!!...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. why does windows modules installer set to manual reverts back to automatic