Windows 10: Windows update righteously borked my hard drive, and my computer will no longer boot

Discus and support Windows update righteously borked my hard drive, and my computer will no longer boot in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Windows 10, 32gb ram, 1t nvme drive, i7 All was going well, and as I shut down my machine, I got the message "you must update to the latest version,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by reallydontcare9, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Windows update righteously borked my hard drive, and my computer will no longer boot

Windows 10, 32gb ram, 1t nvme drive, i7

All was going well, and as I shut down my machine, I got the message "you must update to the latest version, or risk losing support" so I chose the install updates and shut down option. I came back a few hours later, and it was stuck in the analyzing/troubleshooting/ could not fix your problem loop. Did some searching, found out it was the srt trail error. tried to fix from command prompt with the bootrec trio, in the 20 or so times I tried, i am not sure if I ever got all three to complete successfully at the same time. I tried checkdisk and scandisk, both came back as a healthy drive. I tried to rollback the update, it didn't work. I tried to go back to previous version, it also failed. I tried to repair it from a usb recovery drive, it didn't work ( can't recall the error at the moment) and I I tried all the other options short of the tac nuke option of scrap the data, clean re-install. My questions now are: Is there another option I missed? I have since installed the older drive that I had replaced with the nvme drive (by the way, when I tried to make a new recovery drive from this setup, it would not complete. it made it through all the compilations on 5 attempts, but always failed maybe 10-20% of the way through the creation. This was attempted on a brand new USB 3 64GB thumbdrive.)

Is there anyway to recover the data? I am able to see and access the drive via Folders, but when I was asked about gaining access to the data on a permanent basis, I said yes and it failed.

What can I do at this point to get myself back to where I was before the update took over?

:)

reallydontcare9, Aug 18, 2019
  2. magibeg Win User

Hard drive no longer bootable

So i have 2 hard drives and they were both bootable. The computer stopped booting from the primary drive that i normally boot from (the 2TB) and instead started booting from the 500gb drive again. I looked in the bios the 2TB drive is no longer even an option to boot from. What the heck happened?

-Both drives appear in the bios
    -Only the 500gb drive appears to be bootable
    -The 2TB HD was booting just fine until i came to visit my parents and found it was booting off the 500gb (everything was old and not updated)
    -The 2TB drive can be seen from the windows of the 500gb drive.

I don't suppose there would be a quick fix for this? I'm having trouble finding information on google because it's mostly just entry after entry of drives not being visible in windows.

magibeg, Aug 18, 2019
  3. GKing Win User
    Maxtor Hard Drive Beep

Maxtor drive beeps

Have a similiar situation using a DiamondMax Plus 8, 20GB Mfg Date 4/15/03. Drive used as a second system drive. Drive is recognized in boot menu but not in drive list. Drive is always connected. Computer started locking up for several seconds at a time. Chkdsk on drives and couldn't find that drive. Removed drive from bay to make sure connections were ok and heard the beeping. Shutdown and restart and never got to windows screen. Restarted several times then saw drive in boot menu and Windows loaded but Maxtor not in drive menu. When recognized in boot menu, computer will start but beeps and is not found.

Tried kicking it real hard but no improvement. Any suggestions?

GKing, Aug 18, 2019
  4. magibeg Win User

Windows update righteously borked my hard drive, and my computer will no longer boot

Hard drive no longer bootable

Ok so I figured it out.

So basically what happened was the 2TB drive got a windows update that required multiple restarts. For some reason during what appeared to be the 3rd stage of the update when it restarted it was no longer considered a bootable drive or something. So when i unplugged the 500gb harddrive it booted normally, finished the update and went into windows. I reconnected the 500gb HD again and everything is working just fine like before. Weird.

magibeg, Aug 18, 2019
Thema:

Windows update righteously borked my hard drive, and my computer will no longer boot

1. Windows update righteously borked my hard drive, and my computer will no longer boot - Similar Threads - update righteously borked

2. Computer no longer recognises boot hard drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer no longer recognises boot hard drive: Earlier today my pc crashed, upon restarting my computer booted from my hard drive rather than my ssd, showing old files, wallpapers etc. When looking on device manager, my ssd can be seen by my pc, however when looking in file explorer there is nothing to be seen. Is there...
  3. Computer no longer recognises boot hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer no longer recognises boot hard drive: Earlier today my pc crashed, upon restarting my computer booted from my hard drive rather than my ssd, showing old files, wallpapers etc. When looking on device manager, my ssd can be seen by my pc, however when looking in file explorer there is nothing to be seen. Is there...
  4. Computer no longer recognises boot hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Boot configuration completely borked

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Boot configuration completely borked: When I upgraded to Windows 11 it set up my old Win10 install on a separate drive as a boot option in the boot loader. I decided to finally get rid of that so I used Macrorit Partition Expert to merge the partitions on that drive, thinking that it would also handle any boot...
  6. Help! My hp computer crashed after windows 10 update and hard drive no longer works.

Help! My hp computer crashed after windows 10 update and hard drive no longer works.: So i did my update as recommended and after it did my computer would turn on but wouldnt go past a black/blue screen. They told me that its my hard drive that it is no longer good. Im kinda at a point where I just dont know what to do to buy a new hard drive or not...
  7. Computer no longer recognizes hard drives.

Computer no longer recognizes hard drives.: Computer froze and i had to do a "hard reboot" and now won't load. Can get to DOS prompt when couldn't do system repair or restore and now system cannot find either hard drive....
  8. Windows updates bork my mapped NAS drive connections

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows updates bork my mapped NAS drive connections: for months, every time windows updates, i lose access to my mapped NAS drives ("network path was not found. connection has not been restored"). so, i uninstall the update every week, but this is a pain, and probably hurts security. i just had my second support session with...
  9. Win Update borked my BDXL Mdisc

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win Update borked my BDXL Mdisc: Talk about pissed off. Windows did an update a couple of days ago and ruined my pioneer's settings. While i agree it should not have, but it did. I had just had my BDXL MDisc in my computer. Later I did the update ( yes disc had been removed from the drive) anyway.. next...
  10. computer boots wrong hard drive

in Windows 10 Support
    computer boots wrong hard drive: My wife's computer has started once in awhile to try and boot from the d:\ drive. We turn off the computers at night. Some mornings when I turn on her computer I get the _ flashing in the upper corner of the monitor. When I reboot and go into the setup. I go to the boot...