Windows 10: Windows update(s) broke the connection to my MIDI keyboard.

Discus and support Windows update(s) broke the connection to my MIDI keyboard. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Windows update kb4100347 or kb4462919 broke the connection between my Windows 10 laptop and my MIDI keyboard. After these updates, my keyboard could be... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by MaxAguilar1, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Windows update(s) broke the connection to my MIDI keyboard.

Windows update kb4100347 or kb4462919 broke the connection between my Windows 10 laptop and my MIDI keyboard. After these updates, my keyboard could be seen by Windows as an "audio" device, but 3 distinct MIDI apps could not connect to the keyboard. The apps are: Kontakt, Korg M1 Software and Pocket MIDI. Obviously I was able to connect my MIDI keyboard to my laptop without any issues prior to these updates.

I could not find any workarounds for this, until I saw a posting about a similar but older issue where somebody said that Windows updates at times introduce issues to drivers.

Once I uninstalled both these updates, my keyboard started working again with the Korg M1 software.

But my success was short lived, because the updates popped up again to be reinstalled. I had no choice about installing them, as they were automatically reinstalled when I shutdown my laptop.

My keyboard, a Williams Allegro digital piano works without any issue when connected as a MIDI device to an iPad. I'm running Windows 10 Home edition on a Samsung NP740U3M laptop.

Is there a way to just fix the MIDI problem that these updates introduced, or do i need to permanently disable the automatic Windows update function and uninstall the offending updates?

:)

MaxAguilar1, Oct 17, 2018

2. MIDI Keyboard - Connecting Casio Keyboard to Lenovo Z51 Laptop

Hey guys! *Biggrin

I recently got a Casio keyboard, with a new MIDI cable.

I'm a music artist and I'm totally new with this 'keyboard-to-computer-via-MIDI' stuff. *Huh

I don't know how to connect my Casio Keyboard to my computer with a MIDI cable. I've mostly been using Mixcraft's music library, but I want to start something new with my new keyboard.

Can someone PLEASE tell me how I can connect my keyboard to my laptop via MIDI?

I've looked at other forum posts and contacted a few music artists..........they had nothing.

Please help! Windows update(s) broke the connection to my MIDI keyboard. :)

Thanks!

Scotty1231, Oct 18, 2018
  3. MIDI KEYBOARD NOT DETECTED BY PIANOMARVEL INSTRUCTION SITE

• Have you already checked if the device shows in the Device Manager?
    Yes. Just checked and both MIDI keyboards are listed.

• Have you tried testing the device to a different PC and the same issue occurs?
    Yes....I just hooked up a Dell Pro Windows 10 laptop purchased late last year. 00325-80685-21181-AAOEM. I plugged in the AKM320 MIDI keyboard - (no drivers needed) The system sounded but did not show the AKM320 in Device Manager. I did the same with the
    ACORN Masterkey 49 with the same results. I did open the Piano Marvel site and try to get a recognition of either keyboard, and non were even listed. They did list on my main computer, but did not light up the site indicator for a MIDI signal being received
    as already reported.

Also: I activated a Windows 7 computer here and plugged in the AKM320 MIDI. The device appeared in "game controllers" I installed another DAW in that computer- Cake Walk and was able to get the computer and DAW to read my signals from the AKM keypad. I
    went to the Piano Marvel site but the same outcome occurred- the site did not read my signals from the MIDI key board.

• Are you getting any error messages when connecting the device to your PC?
    When I turn on both piano MIDI keyboards without the DAW running, no error or notice appears--but a connection sound does occur. However when I turn on either keyboard
    while the DAW is running, I get a notice that a MIDI device has been added.

• What build and version of Windows 10 are you using?
    2017 Windows 10. I do have an ID number...****************- installed in 2016

I really appreciate your interest in this issue and am glad to check any other areas for you. I have tried everything with no success. One bit of info....There are two programs I've tried to use both of which have a midi keyboard detection in their programs.
    http://www.sightreadingpractice.com and Piano Marvel both do not read my midi keyboards. (But my DAW reads both and plays notes) Also a program called MIDI OX was installed by Piano Marvel's tech and the program detected both MIDI's. I am glad to pay for
    any consult should it become necessary.

Thanks again,

MTM

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for
    more information on how you can protect your privacy.***

MikeMalsbary, Oct 18, 2018
  4. KChae17 Win User

Windows update(s) broke the connection to my MIDI keyboard.

MIDI Keyboards and Windows 10

Hi, I'm running Windows 10 on a Lenovo Yoga 920.

Disclaimer: I am no computer Guru, but I can read and follow instructions, so here's the story:

I've recently gotten more into composing and making music, and decided to purchase a MIDI keyboard. The keyboard I got is a simple MIDIPLUS AKM320 keyboard. It was a cheap one on Amazon that I thought would be a great first purchase to try something new.
    The keyboard says it requires no drivers, and should be plug-and-play and compatible with Windows or iOS. However, when I plug it in, windows registers only for a brief second that I have a USB device connected, and then it disappears. If I go to device manager,
    I can find it with the yellow triangle error symbol next to it. It says: "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)."

I have tried updating the drivers with Windows, and it says the latest/recommended drivers are installed. I have also tried downloading drivers from the manufacturer, but they seem to be outdated (for previous versions of Windows) so I tried running them
    in compatibility mode, but that didn't work either. I've tried a dozen forum suggested fixes, but nothing has worked. This alone is a little bit discouraging, but I decided I had probably just bought a cheap MIDI Keyboard that wasn't actually compatible with
    Windows 10.

Then, I started doing some research, thinking I'd buy a better one, but that I had better find out whether it was Windows 10 compatible or not. Here's where the frustration really started; Every single MIDI Keyboard I found had reported issues with Windows
    10 not recognizing the USB device. It appears that plug-and-play devices should be automatically assigned generic Windows MIDI drivers, but nothing happens. Then, when the correct drivers ARE installed, Windows will not assign the drivers to the device or
    the drivers will not run on Windows 10, or in compatibility modes. This might be because MIDI Keyboards are not making drivers for Windows 10, but isn't that the point of plug-and-play? Shouldn't the latest version of Windows run a MIDI keyboard EASILY?

So now I have 3 questions:

1. Has anyone run into this issue and actually fixed it?

2. Can anyone explain to me in more detail what exactly is going on with Windows and MIDI Controller Devices?

3. Do any of you use a MIDI Controller with Windows 10, and if so what have you found that actually works. I don't want to buy a new one only to have the same problem.

Thanks!

KChae17, Oct 18, 2018
Thema:

Windows update(s) broke the connection to my MIDI keyboard.

1. Windows update(s) broke the connection to my MIDI keyboard. - Similar Threads - update broke connection

2. MIDI Keyboard randomly disconnecting and connecting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MIDI Keyboard randomly disconnecting and connecting: Hi,My MIDI keyboard just randomly keeps disconnecting and connecting in rapid succession. The keyboard is not the problem because it used to work fine. I have been encountering this problem after a few windows updates. I have tried everything, i mean literally everything i...
  3. MIDI Keyboard randomly disconnecting and connecting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MIDI Keyboard randomly disconnecting and connecting: Hi,My MIDI keyboard just randomly keeps disconnecting and connecting in rapid succession. The keyboard is not the problem because it used to work fine. I have been encountering this problem after a few windows updates. I have tried everything, i mean literally everything i...
  4. MIDI Keyboard randomly disconnecting and connecting

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Windows 10 update broke my laptop keyboard

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 update broke my laptop keyboard: I have a laptop HP Envy x360 and the keyboard on it stopped working after Windows 10 April 2021 update.These are all the things I already tried:1.Updating the driver manually even automatically still not working2.Uninstalling the driver and restarting computer3.Unistalling...
  6. MIDI keyboard functions

MIDI keyboard functions: I have tried using 2 Midi keyboards on my computer running Windows 10 and neither of them has been able to communicate with my DAW. The keyboard doesn't work on one computer but does on other computers. I looked at the control panel on both computers and noticed that the...
  7. Windows Updates broke my Asus transformer keyboard

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Updates broke my Asus transformer keyboard: I recently ran the latest windows update on my ASUS transformer laptop and immediately after my keyboard stopped working. The touchpad doesn't work at all and likewise the keys. The Caps lock and F2 button flash. I assume this has something to do with the update as it was...
  8. Windows update broke my virtual network connections

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows update broke my virtual network connections: It's two days after some Windows 10 update and it completely broke my VPN (Using Hamachi or Radmin VPN). I checked almost anything, like network card configurations etc. Any suggestion? I'm tired of Windows....
  9. MIDI Keyboards and Windows 10

MIDI Keyboards and Windows 10: Hi, I'm running Windows 10 on a Lenovo Yoga 920. Disclaimer: I am no computer Guru, but I can read and follow instructions, so here's the story: I've recently gotten more into composing and making music, and decided to purchase a MIDI keyboard. The keyboard I got is a...
  10. MIDI Keyboard - Connecting Casio Keyboard to Lenovo Z51 Laptop

MIDI Keyboard - Connecting Casio Keyboard to Lenovo Z51 Laptop: Hey guys! *Biggrin I recently got a Casio keyboard, with a new MIDI cable. I'm a music artist and I'm totally new with this 'keyboard-to-computer-via-MIDI' stuff. *Huh I don't know how to connect my Casio Keyboard to my computer with a MIDI cable. I've mostly been...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows update midi keyboard