Windows 10: Windows Update scheduled a BIOS update

Discus and support Windows Update scheduled a BIOS update in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, Windows 10 Update platform downloaded an update of BIOS on my laptop, so it asked me for restart in order to proceed with the install. I didn't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by hahahahahahaha1, Mar 7, 2021.

1. Windows Update scheduled a BIOS update

Hello,

Windows 10 Update platform downloaded an update of BIOS on my laptop, so it asked me for restart in order to proceed with the install. I didn't know it was a BIOS update. When my laptop restarted, a prompt appeared saying BIOS will be updated in 60 seconds, with Yes and No choice. I chose No and it booted in Windows again. But again there's a message in the notification area of Windows saying the laptop needs to be restarted in order to complete the update, so I guess the BIOS update prompt will appear again when I turn my laptop on next time. I'm afraid of the update bricking my laptop - maybe Windows has downloaded a wrong firmware for BIOS.

This is my concern:

I have two Windows 10 installations on my laptop same SSD, different partitions. I was installing the older one with Rufus with installation downloaded from unofficial website, and the newer one with the official media creation tool for USB. I don't know whether the installations were installed as UEFI or Legacy.

Note that after I installed my second Windows which was automatically set as default, no video showed during Windows Boot Manager at start up just black screen with display backlight, but it was responsive to keyboard input, so it was technically there. I don't know what caused this, maybe wrong Legacy/UEFI setup and Windows installation. When I press Del during boot, I get this menu https://rivernetcomputers.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/best-ways-access-windows-10-boot.jpg, and when I choose Use another operating system from there I get a normal visible Windows Boot Manager, so maybe there're two Windows Boot Managers installed, and only the older one is showing visually. And the system is set to boot in the newer one note - not talking about two OS options, but two Windows Boot Loaders, which both have two OS options.

In the second installation, in System Information it says UEFI, but my BIOS device might actually be Legacy, so maybe there's a possibility it detected a wrong BIOS firmware?

Do you think there's a chance that Windows Update downloaded a wrong BIOS firmware?

Laptop model is ASUS X509JA.

:)

hahahahahahaha1, Mar 7, 2021

2. Should I update bios?

I would read the warranty before doing anything. If the manufacturer finds out you did something not on their approved list of steps,for example using a program they didn't list, or a bios, etc, they can treat your video card rma like you threw it against the wall , because if something goes wrong and you didn't follow their steps exactly ,it was damaged through human error and they're not likely going to be obligated to cover it warranty wise. I don't know for sure, I just advocate that you check first , and I also advocate that you verify that it's an actual update ,because very rarely do manufacturers release updates for gpu bios'. And they most certainly wont cover a GPU "update" if its a bios file written by some dude in the Ukraine, it has to be a set process, they have predetermined often.

jboydgolfer, Mar 7, 2021
  3. Should I update bios?

Lol, there is still so many myths about flashing bios and people actually believe in them. People, this is 2018, not 1998, bios updates are easy and when file is provided by manufacturer themselves then they do RMA gpus, motherboards, mice and all other devices which failed during flashing.

spectatorx, Mar 7, 2021
  4. Windows Update scheduled a BIOS update

BIOS update

i have momo GA-945PL-S3P(rev. 6.6) BIOS version (f4)
    when i look in gigabyte website i found f5,f6,f7,f8 BIOS versions for my momo.
    do i need to update my BIOS version ?
    if i have to update, shall i install the last one (f8 ) or install each one ?
    is it risky to update my BIOS version because i have no experience in bois update , is there easy step to update my bois?

lover_pharaoh2002, Mar 7, 2021
Thema:

Windows Update scheduled a BIOS update

1. Windows Update scheduled a BIOS update - Similar Threads - Update scheduled BIOS

2. Windows Update scheduled a BIOS update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Update scheduled a BIOS update: Hello,Windows (10) Update platform downloaded an update of BIOS on my laptop, so it asked me for restart in order to proceed with the install. I didn't know it was a BIOS update. When my laptop restarted, a prompt appeared saying BIOS will be updated in 60 seconds, with Yes...
  3. Windows 10 Update scheduled a BIOS update on my ASUS laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Update scheduled a BIOS update on my ASUS laptop: I’ve updated my Windows 10 with Windows Update, then went to optional updates, and updated the drivers there also there was an ASUSTeK Firmware update, which made me suspicious and I left it off. Then restarted laptop, and decided to update the ASUSTeK Firmware also. It asked...
  4. Windows 10 Update has scheduled BIOS update my ASUS laptop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Update has scheduled BIOS update my ASUS laptop: I’ve updated my Windows 10 with Windows Update, then went to optional updates, and updated the drivers there also (there was an ASUSTeK Firmware update, which made me suspicious and I left it off). Then restarted laptop, and decided to update the ASUSTeK Firmware also. It...
  5. Scheduling updates

in Windows 10 Customization
    Scheduling updates: Trying to schedule a time for updates but time is blacked out. I can adjust the date. The time adjustment is blacked out. There are up/down arrows but I can't see the numbers. What's up?...
  6. Scheduling Windows updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Scheduling Windows updates: Hi Everyone, New here so feel free to help me get to the right place if I'm in the wrong place now. I need to schedule downloads to the hours between 2AM EST to 7AM EST as my internet provider is Hughesnet and as such am limited as to bandwidth during working hours. Can...
  7. Scheduling Windows updates

in Windows 10 Support
    Scheduling Windows updates: Hi Everyone, New here so feel free to help me get to the right place if I'm in the wrong place now. I need to schedule downloads to the hours between 2AM EST to 7AM EST as my internet provider is Hughesnet and as such am limited as to bandwidth during working hours. Can...
  8. Scheduled updates

Scheduled updates: OK, I understand that MS "needs" to constantly update, and it interrupts my work to tell me so. Since I then have to schedule a time for this to be done--usually at 2:00 AM-- isn't there a way to make this as a "standing" schedule and MS can do its work then rather than my...
  9. Scheduling updates

Scheduling updates: Please can Microsoft allow windows 10 users to schedule updates? For those of us with limited connections it is catastrophic to lose 3Gb for an update. Here we have unlimited access between midnight and 6am which would be ideal to download such size updates....
  10. Scheduling Windows Updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Scheduling Windows Updates: Installed Windows 10 several weeks ago, and getting used to it.. slowly... but.... is there a way to prevent Windows Update from automatically downloading all updates? I am on a metered connection for Internet (satellite), and am only allowed 10G download each month, and with...