Windows 10: Windows Update screwed up Wi-Fi card/settings?

Discus and support Windows Update screwed up Wi-Fi card/settings? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; The other day my PC was functioning completely normally, zero issues whatsoever. I was prompted to update on shutdown for the night, so I did as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/King_Hikikomori, Feb 13, 2021.

1. Windows Update screwed up Wi-Fi card/settings?

The other day my PC was functioning completely normally, zero issues whatsoever.

I was prompted to update on shutdown for the night, so I did as normal. The next day I start up my PC and suddenly it won't connect to my 5Ghz connection. The connection is detected just fine, and on bootup it will connect once for about 10 seconds with no internet activity before completely dropping. After that, it won't connect again. It tries to for a few seconds before saying 'Cannot connect to this network.' All other devices in my house (smartphones, tablets, consoles, etc.) connect absolutely fine to my 5Ghz with zero issues. All function at appropriate speeds.

My PC will still detect and connect to my 2.4Ghz flawlessly, but it's half of the speed I normally work with and I install/uninstall large games regularly.

Since this happened I've tried the following with no positive results:

• Restarting the PC
    • Updating the drivers of my Wi-Fi card (Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168)
    • Installing old versions of drivers
    • Forgetting the network and trying to reconfigure it
    • Resetting all network adapter settings via 'Reset Network' in Windows settings
    • Uninstalling the Wi-Fi card and rebooting to cleanly install drivers
    • Reverting to a system restore point automatically made a week before the update
    • Reinstalling the update

Short of a clean install of Windows as a whole (which I don't want to do) I have no idea what to try next, and I'm getting to the end of my rope patience wise. None of my other devices are having an issue, so I'm confident this is a Windows issue.

Any help or insight would be really appreciated. I wish something as simple as installing an update didn't have so much potential to be frustrating.

submitted by /u/King_Hikikomori
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/King_Hikikomori, Feb 13, 2021

2. Windows 10 and no wi-fi

Hi Joachim,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Appreciate your interest in using Windows 10.

I would suggest you to follow the methods below:

Method 1: Run the Hardware and Device troubleshooter by following the steps below:

• Click on the Start button, and type “Troubleshooting” on the search bar.
    • Click on troubleshooting, then click on “Hardware and sound”.
    • Under Hardware and sound, click on “hardware and devices”.
    • A pop-up will appear, click on the “Next” button and your hardware troubleshooting will start.

Method 2: The issue may occur if the drivers for Wi-fi are not installed or updated. I suggest you to install/update the latest version for Wi-fi drivers by following the steps below.

• Press ‘windows key + R’ and type ‘devmgmt.msc’ and press Enter.
    • Expand ‘Network adapter’ and right click on Wi-fi driver and select update.

Hope the information is helpful. Feel free to
    write to us for any other assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Eeshwar Kumar, Feb 13, 2021
  3. wi fi not working on windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Appreciate your interest in using Windows 10.

I would suggest you to follow the methods below:

Method 1: Run the Hardware and Device troubleshooter by following the steps below:

• Click on the Start button, and type “Troubleshooting” on the search bar.
    • Under Hardware and sound, click on “hardware and devices”.
    • A pop-up will appear, click on the “Next” button and your hardware troubleshooting will start.

Method 2: The issue may occur if the drivers for Wi-fi are not installed or updated. I suggest you to install/update the latest version for Wi-fi drivers by following the steps below.

• Press ‘windows key + R’ and type ‘devmgmt.msc’ and press Enter.
    • Expand ‘Network adapter’ and right click on Wi-fi driver and select update.

Hope the information is helpful. Feel free to
    write to us for any other assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Eeshwar Kumar, Feb 13, 2021
  4. LadyDay53 Win User

Windows Update screwed up Wi-Fi card/settings?

No Wi-Fi Settings

I recently purchase a computer with Window 10. It was a refurbished unit. However, there is not listing for Wi-Fi in Windows period. It is not listed in network settings.

How do I connect to Wi-Fi with this system?

Estelle

LadyDay53, Feb 13, 2021
Thema:

Windows Update screwed up Wi-Fi card/settings?

1. Windows Update screwed up Wi-Fi card/settings? - Similar Threads - Update screwed card

2. Wi-Fi card issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wi-Fi card issue: Hi I have an Asus Tuf Gaming laptop with windows 11 and all updates installed. My problem is my wi-fi card keeps disabling intermittently even after uninstalling and re-installing the drivers. Any help pls?...
  3. Wi-Fi card issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wi-Fi card issue: Hi I have an Asus Tuf Gaming laptop with windows 11 and all updates installed. My problem is my wi-fi card keeps disabling intermittently even after uninstalling and re-installing the drivers. Any help pls?...
  4. Wi-Fi card settings incorrect. Or maybe the card died. Who knows.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Wi-Fi card settings incorrect. Or maybe the card died. Who knows.: Fair warning, I’m extremely knowledge-less about computers and how they operate. I turn mine on, do what I need to do with it, and turn it off. When something goes awry, I’m completely helpless. Like right now with my wi-fi. For whatever reason, my wi-fi on my PC has always...
  5. No wi-fi setting

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    No wi-fi setting: Hi i've been having trouble with my laptop, i'm trying to connect it to a wifi but the icon is missing from the taskbar, so i open up setting menu to try to connect it from there but there's no wifi setting, i've tried multiple different fixes that i found on the internet,...
  6. Wi fi settings

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wi fi settings: I am not able to connect wifi. I want to connect wifi of our college which if insecure. The option of wifi is de cable when i open it. How chang settings. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wi-fi-settings/f0e72026-8db2-4d16-b752-1a0dc40cd391
  7. settings wi-fi

in Windows 10 Customization
    settings wi-fi: I am having problems connecting a tv to the internet through my pc's wireless modem. I need to access my modem 's wi-fi settings, which I should be able to do through windows 10 's settings. I know how to do this (well I thought I did) but I go to the appropriate place and...
  8. wi-fi settings

wi-fi settings: can't find wifi settings - only ethernet, vpn, proxy, etc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wi-fi-settings/c1a0237d-00bd-4fd3-ab28-8e2819e24dda
  9. Wi-Fi settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    Wi-Fi settings: While using my computer, the wifi occasionally turns off, and asks when we want to restart it. Is there a setting I'm missing that will keep the wifi turned on?...
  10. Wi Fi card Samsung RF510

Wi Fi card Samsung RF510: Hi I hope someone can help me , I have a Samsung RF510 Laptop and have waited to get Windows 10 having had all the errors , one way to solve it which was said by a lot of people was to change the Wi Fi card from Broadcom to Atheros .I took the Broadcom card out of the laptop...