Windows 10: Windows Update Screws up Audio Drivers

Discus and support Windows Update Screws up Audio Drivers in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Question: When will MS fix the Windows Updates from disabling/hiding/uninstalling/[whatever] the Audio Drivers upon reboot? Issue / reproducible... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jaimebrowning76, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Windows Update Screws up Audio Drivers

Question: When will MS fix the Windows Updates from disabling/hiding/uninstalling/[whatever] the Audio Drivers upon reboot?

Issue / reproducible steps:

- HP EliteBook

- Windows 10 update and reboot

- Volume is red X'd out after reboot

Issue Frequency:

- Monthly with every single Windows 10 update

Investigate:

- Sound / playback states "No audio devices are installed"

- Recording "External Microphone / Conexant ISST Audio / Not plugged in"

- Right click and display disabled and disconnected devices, so none hidden and nothing to enable

- Click on red X'd out Volume to detect problems

- Receive message "Troubleshooting couldn't identify the problem. You can try exploring other options that might be helpful. Give feedback on this troubleshooter."

Solution:

- The first time followed all the troubleshooting online - repeatedly, to no avail

- Went to company onsite IT- they reinstalled the audio driver (and other stuff)

- Three more times with monthly Windows Update resulting audio driver issue, went to company onsite IT; reinstalled audio driver

- The forth time, they could not repair audio, and provided a replacement computer - another HP EliteBook

- Issue continues with replacement computer; however, found that a second reboot after the initial reboot seems to resolves the missing audio driver (shrug)

Not impressed. My job requires me to be in virtual meetings between 50-70% of the time which for some reason requires audio; this Windows Update / Audio issue is impacting my ability to be effective at my job. What time waster!

Off to reboot my computer, again.

:)

jaimebrowning76, Oct 2, 2018
  2. Jayce Win User

The Ultimate Realtek HD Audio Driver Mod for Windows 10

Everyone that post ids, need just do these steps and you will be good. I kinda tired of keep on uploading the inf. file

1.Go Open up device manager
    2. Go under sound,video, and game controllers
    3. Find Realtek High Definition Audio
    4. Right click and hit update driver
    5. Browse my computer for driver software
    6. Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer
    7. Click Have Disk and hit browse
    8. Click on the Realtek HD Audio mod folder and look for win64
    9. Click on the HDXRT4 and click ok,
    10. Click Next and Yes
    additional if you want dts audio and others, install it now before next step.
    After it is done, restart the PC

You should be good then and also make sure before doing these steps that you have driver enforcement disabled.

Jayce, Oct 2, 2018
  3. Jayce Win User
    The Ultimate Realtek HD Audio Driver Mod for Windows 10

I had the realtek error when using the installer, so I did these step and It Worked

1.Go Open up device manager
    2. Go under sound,video, and game controllers
    3. Find Realtek High Definition Audio
    4. Right click and hit update driver
    5. Browse my computer for driver software
    6. Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer
    7. Click Have Disk and hit browse
    8. Click on the Realtek HD Audio mod folder and look for win64
    9. Click on the HDXRT4 and click ok,
    10. Click Next and Yes
    After it is done, restart the PC

You should be good then and also make sure before doing these steps that you have driver enforcement disabled.

Jayce, Oct 2, 2018
  4. Windows Update Screws up Audio Drivers

Dolby Audio driver

Hi Joseph,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community and being a part of Windows 10.

Do let us know the following to assist you better with this issue:

• What is the complete error message of this issue?
    • When are you facing this issue with the drivers?
    • Have you installed all the latest drivers from the manufacturer's website for current operating system?

I suggest you to uninstall the existing Audio drivers, download the latest drivers for your device and check if it helps.

Step 1: Uninstall the Audio driver.

Steps:

• Press Windows + X keys from the keyboard, click on Device Manager.
    • Expand Audio inputs and outputs, right click on the driver and click on
      Uninstall.

Step 2: I suggest you to manually install the latest audio drivers and check.

Download the latest drivers from: Lenovo Support for g500

Select the driver and operating system to download.

Refer to the article by Andre Da Costa to install the latest driver:

How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows 10

Hope it helps. Get back to us with the required information and updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Oct 2, 2018
Thema:

Windows Update Screws up Audio Drivers

1. Windows Update Screws up Audio Drivers - Similar Threads - Update Screws Audio

2. My Audio seems screwed up?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My Audio seems screwed up?: Hello! So recently I got a new pc and I'm using an Astro A10 headset with an audio splitter. My motherboard is an MSI tomahawk b550 and the headset ports are not colored but I have an issue where if I use the motherboard ports instead of the ports on the top of my pc I can...
  3. My Audio seems screwed up?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Audio seems screwed up?: Hello! So recently I got a new pc and I'm using an Astro A10 headset with an audio splitter. My motherboard is an MSI tomahawk b550 and the headset ports are not colored but I have an issue where if I use the motherboard ports instead of the ports on the top of my pc I can...
  4. My Audio seems screwed up?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Screwed up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Screwed up: I've had this computer for 2-3 years and Within the 1st year my computer has gotten corrupt. Whenever I try to look up on how to fix corrupt files or just a corrupt pc It dosen't work as it says I'm not a administrator. So please help me I have my entire computer corrupted...
  6. Screwed up

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Screwed up: I've had this computer for 2-3 years and Within the 1st year my computer has gotten corrupt. Whenever I try to look up on how to fix corrupt files or just a corrupt pc It dosen't work as it says I'm not a administrator. So please help me I have my entire computer corrupted...
  7. Update screwed up computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update screwed up computer: After this last forced update which I kept having to uninstall due to constant errors my computer is no longer operating properly. I cannot access the Start menu nor any setting menus. I cannot search any thing. I have tried constant reboots, restarting Windows Explorer....
  8. Update - Windows screwing up?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Update - Windows screwing up?: The last update went in fine but colour settings have gone a bit loopy. Suddenly my colours on games and desktop were really vivid - a real pain on the eyeballs. Eventually fixed that but lost my custom settings. Secondly my task bar along the bottom of the desktop had gone...
  9. Recent windows 10 update screwed up sound drivers...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Recent windows 10 update screwed up sound drivers...: I have followed all the instructions after the latest update forced by windows update. This is the first time updates has screwed the pooch since I upgraded to windows 10, at least, this badly. If I roll it back, I can force it to reinstall the Sound Blaster Zx driver it...
  10. Update screw up

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update screw up: My Laptop did the Windows update about two months ago and ever since then I have not been able to sign into my Laptop and have it save anything. It says Unable to sign you into your account, you are signed in with a temporary account and your information will not be saved....