Windows 10: Windows Update screws up my system even when I tell it not to.

Discus and support Windows Update screws up my system even when I tell it not to. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Why does Microsoft do this? Do they hate their customers? I contacted Microsoft support about this and got a "real person" who offered me what I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Peter-Pthom, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Windows Update screws up my system even when I tell it not to.

Why does Microsoft do this? Do they hate their customers? I contacted Microsoft support about this and got a "real person" who offered me what I considered bad advice: "We can make it so you get no further updates." Seriously? That's your solution? I either succumb to unwanted and unauthorized changes to my system OR I get no further improvements? How come I can't get a definitive description of what these updated really do, instead of fancy graphics lauding all the cool **** I do not need and will never use. I'm trying to work here on MY STUFF. I am not nor do I ever want to be a minion of Microsoft.

What hoops do I need to do to restore my system to where it was? Or should I abandon Windows and go back to my Remington Typewriter and slide rule?

:)

Peter-Pthom, Aug 8, 2019
  2. Arjay Dom Win User

System keeps trying to update and screws up

Hi Laura,

Windows Update problems may occur from corrupted system and update files.

For us to better assist you, and to avoid performing the same troubleshooting steps, please answer the following questions:

• Which feature update are you trying to install? Can you tell us the KB number?
    • Can you enumerate all troubleshooting steps that you've tried performing to resolve the issue?
    • Did you also get any messages? If yes, what is the error?
    • Can you tell us your device specifications including the processor? Press
      Windows key + I
      to open Settings > System
      > About > check the information under Device specifications.

We'll keep an eye out for your response.

Arjay Dom, Aug 8, 2019
  3. erixx Win User
    Does Windows Update Take 10GB?

Richtclick con "My PC" (Or "My desktop" and "Properties", it tells you if your system has SP1.

1) In your case, I would just reinstall al new (not update or repair), no need to killdisk.

2) Make sure your system is perfectly healthy (Device manager), if needed, install mobo, chipset and SDD drives.

3) Run Winupdate, it will install updates step by step, not 200 at once.

4) Check each step before proceding to next step. Read WinUpdate error messages early (also in Event viewer/System filter by error and warning).

erixx, Aug 8, 2019
  4. Windows Update screws up my system even when I tell it not to.

Win Update screwed system AGAIN

Hi John,

What you've experienced is most likely due to the Automatic Updates being turned on. To resolve your concern, we recommend that you restore your computer to an earlier point in time. To do so, kindly follow the steps in this article:

Recovery options in Windows 10
    . Follow the troubleshooting method: Restore from a system restore point.

Once you're able to restore your PC, kindly disable Automatic Updates by following the steps below:

• Click Start, click on Run, type sysdm.cpl, and then press
      Enter.
    • Click on Automatic Updates, then click to select Turn off Automatic Updates.
    • Click on OK.

If you were not able to create a system restore point before, we suggest that you manually set up your PC to your liking, then turn off
    Automatic Updates.

Let us know if you need further assistance with your concern.

Joshua Her1, Aug 8, 2019
Thema:

Windows Update screws up my system even when I tell it not to.

1. Windows Update screws up my system even when I tell it not to. - Similar Threads - Update screws system

2. Update - Windows screwing up?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Update - Windows screwing up?: The last update went in fine but colour settings have gone a bit loopy. Suddenly my colours on games and desktop were really vivid - a real pain on the eyeballs. Eventually fixed that but lost my custom settings. Secondly my task bar along the bottom of the desktop had gone...
  3. I screwed up.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I screwed up.: While trying to organize my hard drive partitions I converted my C: Drive into a dynamic disk. For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to convert it back to a basic disk. the good news is that it is a relatively new system, so it doesn’t matter to me if I lose files in...
  4. May or June update screwed my audio up, and even recent updates do.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    May or June update screwed my audio up, and even recent updates do.: So, back whenever the bad windows 10 update was released, I started having major audio glitches. People talking on discord sounded like robots sometimes, audio would suddenly make a loud screeching chirp, audio would become distorted in a very odd way. Now, the issues have...
  5. Windows update 1909 screwed up my Bluetooth

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows update 1909 screwed up my Bluetooth: I notice an unknown device detected as a USB. [ATTACH] I tried : chkdsk /r /f sfc /scannow reinstalling the latest driver uninstall the unknown device but nothing works. Why do these update mess up with the peripherals : Anyone with other suggestions ?...
  6. Update screwed up my wifi

Update screwed up my wifi: WHY DID YOU DELETE MY WIFI? THE WHOLE DRIVE IS DELETED. NOT DEACTIVATED. DELETED. I'VE GONE THROUGH A DOZEN TROUBLESHOOTERS. IT SAYS I NEED TO REDOWNLOAD THE DRIVER. HOW DO I DO THAT <removed>? I HAVE NO WIFI! I DON'T OWN A BLEEDING ETHERNET CABLE THAT'S WHY I HAVE WIFI. I...
  7. Why do Windows 10 updates screw up my system?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Why do Windows 10 updates screw up my system?: Got a new PC for Xmas. Unfortunately it came with Windows 10. Seemed okay at first but then it updated... I can no longer: - use quiet mode for some reason (wtf!?) - use a second monitor (wtf was in the update to stop me from doing this!?) - find any of the files that I...
  8. Windows update screwed up my PC

Windows update screwed up my PC: I allowed a update and now my laptop is a paper weight. I get an error popup window that says the desktop file is missing. Can not find that file on other laptops and none of the apps are visible. The windows icon does not do anything except change color when curser is over...
  9. Update screw up

Update screw up: My Laptop did the Windows update about two months ago and ever since then I have not been able to sign into my Laptop and have it save anything. It says Unable to sign you into your account, you are signed in with a temporary account and your information will not be saved....
  10. My system screws up RAW files

in Windows 10 Support
    My system screws up RAW files: I'm running Win 10 Pro X64, Anniversary Edition. Lately (starting before the Anniversary upgrade), RAW files often display with screwed-up colors and details. This happens (though not consistently) with .CR2 Canon and .ORF Olympus files, and with Adobe Photoshop Elements...