Windows 10: Windows Update service can't start up

Discus and support Windows Update service can't start up in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I just noticed the Windows Update service in my computer isn't running, after a failed attempt to check for updates. I tried going to Services and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by DavidianCaltonius, Jan 9, 2021.

1. Windows Update service can't start up

I just noticed the Windows Update service in my computer isn't running, after a failed attempt to check for updates. I tried going to Services and enabling wuaserv, but it won't give me permission to apply the changes, saying "Access is denied." The same dialogue box would pop up even after running as administrator. What should I do?

Windows Update service can't start up 511467ee-91c7-4281-8443-10bd4e322f82?upload=true.png Windows Update service can't start up cbcae561-3dee-4b62-b136-b9d6ffbc9d07?upload=true.png

:)

DavidianCaltonius, Jan 9, 2021
  2. AsRock Win User

Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Jan 9, 2021
  3. Vista Automatic Updating Error

Automatic Updates isn't currently running.

DistantDeath, Jan 9, 2021
  4. jbunch07 Win User

Windows Update service can't start up

Vista Automatic Updating Error

Resolution Suggestion:

# To resolve this problem, make sure that BITS and the Automatic Updates service are started..

A simple solution but one that works in most circumstances!

1. Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK.

2. In the list of services, right-click Automatic Updates, and then click Properties.

3. In the Startup type list, click Automatic, and then click Apply.

4. If Service status is set to Stopped, click Start, and then click OK.

5. Right-click Background Intelligent Transfer Service, and then click Properties.

6. In the Startup type list, click Manual, and then click Apply.

7. If Service status is set to Stopped, click Start, and then click OK.

http://www.updatexp.com/0x80070422.html- source *Smile Windows Update service can't start up :) hope that helps.

jbunch07, Jan 9, 2021
Thema:

Windows Update service can't start up

1. Windows Update service can't start up - Similar Threads - Update service can't

2. Window Security Services can't be started.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Window Security Services can't be started.: I can't start my Window Security Setting. Even in running services I can't see security setting and Microsoft Security services. I also run a antivirus scan and got two malware files and remove them but still can't window security option is enable.How can I fix it....
  3. Window Security Services can't be started.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Window Security Services can't be started.: I can't start my Window Security Setting. Even in running services I can't see security setting and Microsoft Security services. I also run a antivirus scan and got two malware files and remove them but still can't window security option is enable.How can I fix it....
  4. Can't start windows security services

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't start windows security services: Hello, i just got a trouble, the windows defender app is blank, and it says turn windows service center but i cant find any in registry or services, i also did not fount it on policy group, is the file missing? if so what i have to do ?...
  5. Can't start Windows audio service

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't start Windows audio service: I just did or at least tried to do a System Restore on my Windows 11 upgraded from W10 laptop. Among other things, I can't get the Windows Audio service to start. I ran the audio Troubleshooter to find this out. All I get is a "0x80070005" error message; all I can find on it...
  6. Can't start Windows audio service

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't start Windows audio service: I just did or at least tried to do a System Restore on my Windows 11 upgraded from W10 laptop. Among other things, I can't get the Windows Audio service to start. I ran the audio Troubleshooter to find this out. All I get is a "0x80070005" error message; all I can find on it...
  7. Can't start Windows Update services

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't start Windows Update services: Hi! I have some problem about windows update My Windows Update tab at setting is still loading, its like not loaded, no information about windows last update, windows version now, but still blank. So i search for this problem, i have problem at services.msc windows update...
  8. Windows Update service is not starting

Windows Update service is not starting: So I have a windows update problem for a while now and then one day I decided to check if my windows update services is disabled or not, turns out it was disabled, when I tried to change it to automatic this always pops out and I can't change my service to automatic, can...
  9. Windows Update Service, change Start-up type

Windows Update Service, change Start-up type: I tried to update Windows 10 from version 1803 to 1909. Error: Service registration is missing or corrupt In Windows Update Service, properties, I tried to change Start-up type from manual to automatic, but it is gray and cannot be changed. Servicename: wuauserv. Path:...
  10. Can't start Windows Firewall service

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can't start Windows Firewall service: When I try to turn it on, it just keeps loading and eventually do nothing. [img] And when I try to start the service in the "Services.msc" I get the error: [img] Tranlation: 'Can't start the Windows Firewall on yout Local computer. Consult the systemlogs for more...