Windows 10: Windows Update Service Is Corrupted Or Missing

Discus and support Windows Update Service Is Corrupted Or Missing in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I am a student using microsoft for game dev. A week ago I downloaded a game after which this started happening. Windows Update used to show... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Eshaan Goel, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Windows Update Service Is Corrupted Or Missing

Hello,

I am a student using microsoft for game dev. A week ago I downloaded a game after which this started happening. Windows Update used to show "Something went wrong. Please try again later." I ignored it earlier but later I realised it was a big problem. I ran defender, no virus; I ran sfc scan, there was a problem with snipping tool which was corrupted and did not get fixed but I don't think it is the problem; DISM, this was the thing that didn't work. The DISM scan was itself corrupted and not working. After that I lost hope. One more thing was that in Services application, I was trying to switch on windows Update Service wuauserv but whenever I changed startup type to automatic and refreshed, it changed back to disabled. Also, I couldn't start or stop the service as the buttons were greyed out.

Somebody please tell what can I do to start the service and fix DISM. I really don't want to use the last resort which is Factory Reset.

Thanks

:)

Eshaan Goel, Jan 12, 2021
  2. Kem Mon Win User

Windows Update - Service registration is missing or corrupt

Hi Nitya,

Upon analyzing the details and the troubleshooting steps you have done so far, we suggest that you
    manually reset your Windows Update Components
    by following these
    troubleshooting steps:

• Run
      Command Prompt as Administrator

• Stop
      BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer and Windows Update Services. To do this,
      type the following command:

• Net stop wuauserv

• Net stop cryptSvc

• Net stop bits

• Net stop msiserver

• Rename
      SoftwareDistribution
      and
      Catroot2
      folder. To do this, type the following commands:

• Ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

• Ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old

• Restart
      BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer and Windows Update Services. To do this,
      type the following command:

• Net start wuauserv

• Net start cryptSvc

• Net start bits

• Net start msiserver

• Restart
      your computer and try to
      install Windows Update.

Update us on how it goes.

Regards

Kem Mon, Jan 12, 2021
  3. Windows 10 update error "Service Registration is missing or corrupt".

I am attempting to update windows 10 anniversary edition and cannot get the update to complete. I ran the diagnostic and repair tool and got the " service registration is missing or corrupt".

I have run the sfc /scannow and to the message that it found issues and repaired them.

I am replying to this message as it appears to be the closest thing to fix my problem at present. I attempt method 1: and step b: however I cannot complete the steps as the file "Windows Update" is not listed there. I also tried your method 2 but I am
    thinking this too assumes the file is there.

I printed a log of the sfc /scannow, not sure if that would be of any benefit to someone who knows what all that information means.

Any suggestions ?????????

NewmanMarcus, Jan 12, 2021
  4. Windows Update Service Is Corrupted Or Missing

"Service registration is missing or corrupt"

Hi ml703er,

Service registration is missing or corrupt error can occur if certain components of your operating system are damaged or corrupted. Just to verify, which troubleshooter did you use? Is it the

Windows app troubleshooter
    ? Also, what made you run the troubleshooter? Can you provide more details about the issue with Microsoft Solitaire Collection?

To check for corrupted Windows system files, I suggest that you run use the System File Checker (SFC), which is a utility in Windows that scans for corrupted Windows system files. If it finds a problem, it will try to replace the problematic system files
    from a cached version that’s on your PC. If SFC can’t replace the files, the Deployment Image Service and Management Tool (DISM) can check the corrupted files then download and replace the files through Windows Update.

To run System File Checker (SFC), follow these steps:

• In the search box on the taskbar, type command prompt, press and hold (or right-click)
      Command Prompt, then select Run as administrator >
      Yes.
    • At the command prompt, type sfc /scannow (note the space between sfc and the /). Scanning will take a few minutes.
    • Do one of the following, depending on the results of the scan:
      • If SFC finds corrupted files and replaces them, restart your PC and check if the issue persists.
      • If SFC doesn’t find corrupted files or finds corrupted files but can’t replace them, try using the Deployment Image Service and Management Tool (DISM).

For more info about System File Checker, see
    Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files

To use the Deployment Image Service and Management Tool (DISM), follow these steps:

• In the search box on the taskbar, type command prompt, press and hold (or right-click)
      Command Prompt, and then select Run as administrator >
      Yes.
    • At the command prompt, type dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth (note the space between dism.exe and / and each switch (/)).
    • If DISM finds corrupted files and replaces them, restart your PC and check if the issue persists.

Note: You need to be connected to the Internet to use DISM, and it might take several minutes to finish.

For more info about DISM, see
    Fix Windows Update errors by using the DISM or System Update Readiness tool

Let us know how it goes.

Aileen Alf, Jan 12, 2021
Thema:

Windows Update Service Is Corrupted Or Missing

1. Windows Update Service Is Corrupted Or Missing - Similar Threads - Update Service Corrupted

2. Service registration is missing or corrupt

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Service registration is missing or corrupt: service registration is missing or corrupt https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/service-registration-is-missing-or-corrupt/232257d7-f3c9-4524-ac69-68d1508ac240
  3. Service registration is missing or corrupt

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Service registration is missing or corrupt: service registration is missing or corrupt https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/service-registration-is-missing-or-corrupt/232257d7-f3c9-4524-ac69-68d1508ac240
  4. Service registration is missing or corrupt

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Service registration is missing or corrupt: Hi,My Microsoft store isn't opening and by extension neither are apps like NVIDIA control panel. I tried repairing the app using app features but this didn't work. I have also tried reinstalling it using the same feature but it didn't reinstall I imagine because the store...
  5. Service registration is missing or corrupt

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Service registration is missing or corrupt: Hi,My Microsoft store isn't opening and by extension neither are apps like NVIDIA control panel. I tried repairing the app using app features but this didn't work. I have also tried reinstalling it using the same feature but it didn't reinstall I imagine because the store...
  6. Service registration is missing or corrupt in Windows 7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Service registration is missing or corrupt in Windows 7: Attempting to upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 and receive error message: "Service registration is missing or corrupt". What to do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/service-registration-is-missing-or-corrupt-in/71f906d1-36e7-44d9-9509-1a984fecb82d
  7. Windows update trouble shooter service registry missing or corrupt

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows update trouble shooter service registry missing or corrupt: Can anyone help me fix this without having to use command prompts. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-update-trouble-shooter-service-registry/68a4720e-0adf-4230-8c40-4bdfa4eea354
  8. Service registration is missing or corrupt

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Service registration is missing or corrupt: Before I updated to Windows 10, I must have damaged some files whilst trying to turn off Windows 10 notifications in Windows 7. I couldn't do any updates in Windows 7 either. There is no error code. Windows update troubleshooter says: "Service registration is missing or...
  9. Service registration is missing or corrupt

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Service registration is missing or corrupt: Did everything mentioned here and here, to no avail. I even tried "SFC/ Scannow", and it didn't find any integrity violations. Please help! 57652
  10. Service Registration is missing or corrupt...?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Service Registration is missing or corrupt...?: I've been having a couple issues with an APP not connecting. So I ran the Windows Fixit Program and its telling me my "Service Registration is missing or corrupt". So I need help with fixing this problem. Can you help me? Thanks. 24985