Windows 10: Windows update service not starting wuauserv, error 1058

Discus and support Windows update service not starting wuauserv, error 1058 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi,My computer is unable to start windows update.Through normal settings I see this;Restarting does nothing. Trouble shooters don't seem to work.I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by CameronMcdougall1, Aug 12, 2021.

1. Windows update service not starting wuauserv, error 1058

Hi,My computer is unable to start windows update.Through normal settings I see this;Restarting does nothing. Trouble shooters don't seem to work.I have looked online and traced the problem to the wuauserv windows update service.Through windows services I can see that it is disabled, but I have no option to enable it.Further, trying to start it in command prompt gives this error. Error 1058I found one troubleshooting page that recommended replacing the registry entries, however this didn't fix the problem either.Help would be great! Not sure how long it's been like this but I've more than lik

:)

CameronMcdougall1, Aug 12, 2021
  2. jarmst Win User

Windows Defender Error 1058: can't start service

I've seen posts regarding similar behavior for Windows 7, but not for Windows 10. I've tried a few of the steps but some of them (like specific registry key updates) are not applicable, since the registry seems different than previous versions.

Symptoms

• Windows Defender always fails to start, gives "Error 1058"
    • Under Settings > Update & Security > Windows Defender, every option is greyed out
    • Can't manually start the "Security Center" service
      • Initially set to "Disabled"
      • Change setting to "Automatic," start service manually
      • After a short time, it reverts back to "Disabled"
    Troubleshooting Steps

• Performed virus/malware removal
      • Malwarebytes, SUPERAntiSpyware, HitmanPro, AdwCleaner, Kaspersky's TDSS Removal, Bitdefender, Spybot
      • Individually installed, scanned, and removed each
      • Found some adware/viruses that were removed
      • Nothing shows up in any scans now (seems like everything active was removed)
    • Checked Group Policy Editor/registry key for the "Disable Windows Defender" setting
      • Made sure everything was set to "enable" Defender
      • Still see symptoms
    • sfc /scannow
      • Showed some errors that couldn't be resolved
      • Seems to be missing critical files in the running and backup file list
      • I have the CBS.log that was ran immediately before posting; not sure how to attach it or if I should include a snippet
      • EDIT: just re-looked through the log output, seems like most of the "check failed" errors were for different shortcut files (Task Scheduler, etc.). Not sure how applicable this is now
    Possible Solutions

• Download + reinstall Windows Defender to replace missing files
      • Not sure if this is even possible, given that it's a core system component in W10
    • Restore Registry keys back to default settings
      • Virus seems to have messed up several places
      • Nothing specific to Windows 10 online for getting Windows Defender back to stock in registry

jarmst, Aug 12, 2021
  3. wuauserv ( windows update service) could not be started. Error in starting wuauserv service

I was trying to resolve windows update error 0x80080005 and found a solution which says to stop first the wuauserv service but when i tried to do so in cmd I got :

system32>net start wuauserv

the wuauserv service could not be started

A system error has occured

System error 2 has occured

System cannot find the file specified

How to start it?

because the solution I want to try to resolve 0x80080005 demands to stop it first.

RahulKumar97, Aug 12, 2021
  4. AsRock Win User

Windows update service not starting wuauserv, error 1058

Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Aug 12, 2021
Thema:

Windows update service not starting wuauserv, error 1058

1. Windows update service not starting wuauserv, error 1058 - Similar Threads - update service starting

2. Windows Security Service Won't Start - Error 1058

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Security Service Won't Start - Error 1058: In the security center properties local computer window, just about everything from every tab is greyed out. Does anyone have any ways to fix this issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated...
  3. Windows Security Service Won't Start - Error 1058

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Security Service Won't Start - Error 1058: In the security center properties local computer window, just about everything from every tab is greyed out. Does anyone have any ways to fix this issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated...
  4. Cannot start wuauserv due to error 1058

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot start wuauserv due to error 1058: Hi all,I cannot start wuauserv with error 1058 ...I tried : - run cmd prompt in administrator level > net start wuauserv return error 1058 - go to services.msc > Windows Update state: deactivated > properties > start return error 1058 - I ran > sfc /scannow no problem returns...
  5. Cannot start wuauserv due to error 1058

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot start wuauserv due to error 1058: Hi all,I cannot start wuauserv with error 1058 ...I tried : - run cmd prompt in administrator level > net start wuauserv return error 1058 - go to services.msc > Windows Update state: deactivated > properties > start return error 1058 - I ran > sfc /scannow no problem returns...
  6. Cannot start wuauserv due to error 1058

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Windows Security Service Won't Start - Error 1058

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Security Service Won't Start - Error 1058: Hi, so I have an issue where when I open Windows Security, it is empty. I have tried going into Services and enabling the Windows Security Service. However, when I press the Start button, an error message comes up, saying: Windows could not start the Windows Security Service...
  8. Windows Update service (wuauserv) is disabled, I get Error 1058 while trying to start it.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Update service (wuauserv) is disabled, I get Error 1058 while trying to start it.: [ATTACH] Hello, I am having problems with starting Windows Update service and I cannot get it to start. Any tips? https://preview.redd.it/v1piwmfnr6k61.png?width=409&format=png&auto=webp&s=5a2fd2f0330a4f94a1258967d922319dd51e6102 submitted by /u/da_real_obi_wan...
  9. 1058 the service cannot be started windows 10 update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    1058 the service cannot be started windows 10 update: Hi, When I try to preform an update, I received: "One of the update services is not running properly, but you can try to run a troubleshooter to fix the problem. Go to Start button > Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot, and then select Windows Update." the...
  10. wuauserv ( windows update service) could not be started. Error in starting wuauserv service

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    wuauserv ( windows update service) could not be started. Error in starting wuauserv service: I was trying to resolve windows update error 0x80080005 and found a solution which says to stop first the wuauserv service but when i tried to do so in cmd I got : system32>net start wuauserv the wuauserv service could not be started A system error has occured System...