Windows 10: Windows Update Service stuck on Starting on a Fresh PC

Discus and support Windows Update Service stuck on Starting on a Fresh PC in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hey, so i had this issue where the windows Update service was stuck on Starting so i did a full reset on my computer in hopes that it would fix this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by xNinjaa1337x, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Windows Update Service stuck on Starting on a Fresh PC

Hey, so i had this issue where the windows Update service was stuck on Starting so i did a full reset on my computer in hopes that it would fix this issue but it did not, now i have a completly empty pc and the service is still not working, now here is the wierd thing, I downloaded Sea of thieves a cuple of weeks ago and i played it alot since then, now i tryed to download State of decay 2 but it did not work at all. and so i did the reset, the first thing i did when i got the pc up and running again i tested to see if i could download State of decay and Sea of thieves, and i could, i even tryed to log in to sea of thieves just to be sure and it worked, so i calmed down and got my pc somewhat sorted back to how i wanted it, when i was done i tryed to log in to state of decay to join my friends and then i got a error that it said "failed to update, closing application" or something like that ... so i googled for a fix and after that the error was removed and now i just got stuck on "click any button to continue" soooo i went too google again, and now i cant even start any games from microsoft and the microsoft update service is stuck on starting so i cant spot it or do anything really about it, ive been at it for about 48 hours now and all the things ive done is starting to get foggy... im on the edge to just send it in to a shop in hopes that they can fix it. so this is my last scream for help! at this point im more or less willing to do anything, althought my internet provider is not so willing, seeing as ive downloaded sea of thieves, state of decay and X number of updates to my pc twice already, ive ran out of data for January but if someone knows a solid fix for this i will try and get my pc to a friends place so i can use their internet to fix my pc!

Thanks in advance!

:)

xNinjaa1337x, Jan 13, 2019
  2. AsRock Win User

Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Jan 13, 2019
  3. Vista Automatic Updating Error

Automatic Updates isn't currently running.

DistantDeath, Jan 13, 2019
  4. jbunch07 Win User

Windows Update Service stuck on Starting on a Fresh PC

Vista Automatic Updating Error

Resolution Suggestion:

# To resolve this problem, make sure that BITS and the Automatic Updates service are started..

A simple solution but one that works in most circumstances!

1. Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK.

2. In the list of services, right-click Automatic Updates, and then click Properties.

3. In the Startup type list, click Automatic, and then click Apply.

4. If Service status is set to Stopped, click Start, and then click OK.

5. Right-click Background Intelligent Transfer Service, and then click Properties.

6. In the Startup type list, click Manual, and then click Apply.

7. If Service status is set to Stopped, click Start, and then click OK.

http://www.updatexp.com/0x80070422.html- source *Smile Windows Update Service stuck on Starting on a Fresh PC :) hope that helps.

jbunch07, Jan 13, 2019
Thema:

Windows Update Service stuck on Starting on a Fresh PC

1. Windows Update Service stuck on Starting on a Fresh PC - Similar Threads - Update Service stuck

2. Windows Update Service stuck in starting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Update Service stuck in starting: Hello,after a fresh install, completely naked via Media creation tool and an USB drive, the Windows Update Service keeps being stuck at "Starting...".This happened after every reinstallation of Windows. I tried a fresh install 4 times now - every time with windows update not...
  3. Windows Update Service stuck in starting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Update Service stuck in starting: Hello,after a fresh install, completely naked via Media creation tool and an USB drive, the Windows Update Service keeps being stuck at "Starting...".This happened after every reinstallation of Windows. I tried a fresh install 4 times now - every time with windows update not...
  4. PC stuck at black screen after choosing to start fresh

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC stuck at black screen after choosing to start fresh: I have been having issues with my PC since January 14th I have another thread that I was trying to solve some errors with blue screening and other errors. Today I attempted to just wipe the pc and reinstall windows using the setting in windows 11. It got to the point where it...
  5. PC stuck at black screen after choosing to start fresh

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC stuck at black screen after choosing to start fresh: I have been having issues with my PC since January 14th I have another thread that I was trying to solve some errors with blue screening and other errors. Today I attempted to just wipe the pc and reinstall windows using the setting in windows 11. It got to the point where it...
  6. Windows Update Service Stuck as “Starting” updates won’t work.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Update Service Stuck as “Starting” updates won’t work.: I have a win10 machine. Windows update fails gives a code ending in 805. If you run the update troubleshooting tool it fails gives the same error code. Going into services the windows update service shows as “starting”. If you go in and disable it, it reads as “starting”....
  7. Windows will not activate and the update service is stuck in starting

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows will not activate and the update service is stuck in starting: I have referenced quite a few community posts at this point and ran the trouble shooter and got the same error. I rebuilt my computer as the last one had a hardware failure not sure where so the only thing left was the hard drives by the time I got things running again. Now...
  8. Window Fresh Start Stuck

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Window Fresh Start Stuck: I did a windows fresh start and the installing windows page has been on 88% for many many hours. the dots are moving fine. i also cant shut it down. i had started fresh start yesterday maybe at 6pm and left it overnight. it is now 11am the next day. Should i keep waiting?...
  9. Windows wireless Service is not running on the computer and resetting the pc/starting fresh...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows wireless Service is not running on the computer and resetting the pc/starting fresh...: Hello everyone, yesterday evening i opened my surface book 2 and it didn't connect to wifi, troubleshooter showed that the Windows wireless Service is not running on this computer so I tried to open services.msc but it didn't want to open, I run an sfc scan and it showed...
  10. windows fresh start stuck at 1%

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows fresh start stuck at 1%: my pc has been really slow so I'm trying to do a fresh start. its just been stuck on the blue popup saying Refreshing your PC, getting a few things ready and its just been stuck at 1%. how do I fix this and properly fresh start my PC?...