Windows 10: Windows Update slows down laptop to point it requires clean install

Discus and support Windows Update slows down laptop to point it requires clean install in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi. Ive encountered this problem for several months now. Ive had this laptop for nearly 3 years without issues beforw. However starting a xouple of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Jumel Philip Solano, Feb 23, 2021.

1. Windows Update slows down laptop to point it requires clean install

Hi. Ive encountered this problem for several months now. Ive had this laptop for nearly 3 years without issues beforw. However starting a xouple of months before, I started to notice a significant drop of performance. Thrn one day I started to get a blue screen with the stop code BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO. With help from your agent, I managed to do a clean reinstall to address the problem.

Now, I reinstalled all the necessary drivers and updated them as I can, however I nores that after windows updates itself, the performance drops until it becomes inoperable.

I wish to say this is a one-off thing, but it has been about EIGHT times Ive donw this. Ive had to force windows update to stop, but your system finds away to still update itself.

All Im asking is assistance with system which is Version 20H2 OS Build 19042.631 or a way to disable Windows Update Medic Service.

:)

Jumel Philip Solano, Feb 23, 2021

2. Clean Install Workaround for Vista

You may remember this news story on techPowerUp! a couple of days ago relating to the lack of clean installs when using the Upgrade Editions of Vista, which required an old OS to be installed. However, Paul Thurrott has managed to find a workaround for this issue, which ironically lets users do a clean install Vista without any previous version of Windows, albeit a little tedious. Here are the steps:
    • Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD as normal
    • When prompted for a product code, leave this blank
    • Select the version of Vista you have purchased and let Vista install
    • When you boot to your desktop for the first time, run the Vista setup from Windows
    • This time enter your product key
    • When asked whether you want to do an Upgrade of Custom install, select custom and choose a clean install
    • Windows will now install for a second time and you should be able to activate it
    Remember, these steps are only advised for use in order to achieve a clean install of Vista, it is only legal to use the upgrade editions if you have previously purchased the appropriate version of Windows.

Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, Feb 23, 2021
  3. Mussels Win User
    AMD phenom 995BE 3.6GHZ running extremely slow

A lot of things can cause a slow startup, most common would be drivers. It will take a *long* time for us to go through all the options, so i'll just list the steps i do for a fresh windows install that is problem free, you can let us know if you missed any of it.

1. Format the drive - clean windows install from DVD
    2. install all drivers you can from windows update first, except video card. Make sure to install and update .Net, as modern video card drivers require that.
    3. install any missing drivers (check device manager), including video card manually, with downloads from their respective websites. never install from the motherboard DVD/website unless you have to.

Mussels, Feb 23, 2021
  4. HAT
    hat Win User

Windows Update slows down laptop to point it requires clean install

Cleaning off a Mac Laptop

cleaning it?

Step 1: buy about a half gallon of gasoline.

Step 2: douse laptop in gasoline.

Step 3: toss a burning match onto laptop.

Step 4: watch the fire clense your laptop.

Thema:

Windows Update slows down laptop to point it requires clean install

1. Windows Update slows down laptop to point it requires clean install - Similar Threads - Update slows down

2. Windows 10 installed slowed the laptop to the point of unseable

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 installed slowed the laptop to the point of unseable: Hello, I have a laptop that was running smoothly but I had a few problems with the applications that I had installed over the years, I tried updating my windows to windows 11 as a fresh start, after running pc health check to see of it’s compatible, even tho it was...
  3. Windows 10 installed slowed the laptop to the point of unseable

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 installed slowed the laptop to the point of unseable: Hello, I have a laptop that was running smoothly but I had a few problems with the applications that I had installed over the years, I tried updating my windows to windows 11 as a fresh start, after running pc health check to see of it’s compatible, even tho it was...
  4. Windows 10 installed slowed the laptop to the point of unseable

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. laptop slowing down

laptop slowing down: my laptop system become hang when try to play any video on edge.. just happen today.. i dont know what to do anymore.. i can't do anything when laptop slowing down and disk become 100%.. please help.....
  6. Laptop slowed down

Laptop slowed down: I installed the last Windows update and the laptop has slowed down a lot - now I often get the 'not responding '' and there is a long delay between the moment I type on the keyboard and the moment it appears on the screen this happens especially with Facebook, but not...
  7. clean windows instalation required

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    clean windows instalation required: hello -- i have just wiped all my data using "clean" command as an administrator. i created a boot media on a usb before doing so. when i boot to start the new install i am advised that the disk still has an MBR partition. Please can you advise how i should proceed to...
  8. Windows 10 update slowing down laptop?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 update slowing down laptop?: So about a month ago I started playing Watch Dogs 2 on my laptop, it ran perfectly fine at Ultra settings with a great frame rate. However, a couple weeks back Windows 10 started pestering me about an update, so I reluctantly let it do its thing, and now everything's just...
  9. Windows Update Slowed Down My Laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Update Slowed Down My Laptop: Hello, It was going all well, My laptop was running games good, but the new update notifications were bothering me so I updated it. After that update, my PC has became quite slow! I used to get 60 frames before update now I hardly get 5 fps! Wth. Fortnite is unplayable...
  10. After clean install, windows update slow to download install updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    After clean install, windows update slow to download install updates: Hello Everyone, I did a clean install and on first use of Windows update the updates for some reason we're downloading and installing at a slow pace which I didn't recall in the past. Not sure if I'm having an issue on my end or not if it is on the side of Microsoft. Any...