Windows 10: windows update smashes video drivers

Discus and support windows update smashes video drivers in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I use a 33" Sony Bravia as my prime monitor. Often (about 1 in 3) Windows Update corrupts my video driver, so that the desktop is stretched slightly... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Andrew Snowball, Jan 21, 2019.

1. windows update smashes video drivers

I use a 33" Sony Bravia as my prime monitor. Often (about 1 in 3) Windows Update corrupts my video driver, so that the desktop is stretched slightly larger than the actual screen. No amount of adjusting and fiddling can alter it. So I contacted MS support (first time) and a guy had to remotely connect to my machine to uninstall one of the patches (no idea why he couldn't just say that in chat - but there you go).

Second time was about a year ago, and I couldn't remember exactly what he did, so I contacted them again. Same solution (btw, same update also disabled and removed my System Restore Points! Guy in chat said that shouldn't happen. - I said damn right it shouldn't - but that's another story) I also asked if I could l stop Windows Update from doing this again - this being the second time; he assured me it wouldn't do it again. But if it did I just uninstall the same patch. (can I find the transcript of that chat...... nowhere)

Update last night did the same thing again. This time the online chat is broken as well. So that after I plough through the auto responses from the Virtual Agent - I can't actually connect to a real person at all. I've tried "Chat", "Call me back" & "Schedule a call", all end up saying thanks for the info, etc. and go back to the same screen - even when people waiting = 0.

So I need help (not necessarily in this order):

1. System Restore keeps getting disabled.

2. My video drivers are corrupted by the latest update

3. online help services are broken

Thanks anyone.

~AS.

:)

Andrew Snowball, Jan 21, 2019

2. video playback issue after windows 10 update

Hi Mark,

Corrupted software and/or driver issues could be the reasons why you're experiencing problems when playing videos. We suggest that you try these steps, then check if the issue persists:

Feel free to update us on the result.

Rachelle Gra, Jan 21, 2019
  3. Monk.e83 Win User
    Unlocked Realtek HD Audio Drivers Windows 7 & 8 (With Dolby Digital Live and DTS Interactive)

DTS supported natively by Windows 8/8.1 and it should work on windows 10 too just DDL require to unlock your driver .

Monk.e83, Jan 21, 2019
  4. windows update smashes video drivers

Since updating windows 10 no Facebook or YouTube videos.

Hi Dewey,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am sorry to know that you are facing issues with Windows 10.

I do appreciate your efforts and time, and will assist you with the issue.

I suggest you to try the methods provided below and check if it helps.

Method 1: Update video adapter driver.

Verify that the latest drivers for the display adapter are installed.

• At the Start screen, type Windows Update.
    • Click or tap Settings on the right side of the screen, and then select Install optional updates from the left results.
    • When the Windows Update control panel opens, click on “Check for Updates” on the
      top left corner to receive a fresh list of updates.

I would also suggest you to refer to the following article and perform the steps mentioned under “Update driver” section.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/all-drivers (Also
    applicable for windows 10)

Method 2:

Check the Device status in the Device Manager. The yellow exclamation mark provides an indication of a device's current status and could mean that there is a system resource conflict, a driver issue, or any number of other
    things. Refer to these steps to open Device Manager.

Step 1. Press Windows and X keys together.

Step 2. Click on Device Manager.

Step 3. Expand Sound, video and game controller.

Step 4. Please check with the optional driver updates through windows update and check if it helps. And for more information I suggest you to refer the link below.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/all-drivers

(Also applicable for windows 10)

Method 3: If the issue still prissiest, install the Windows 8.1 drivers in compatibility mode.

Step 1. Download the Windows 8.1 drivers.

Step 2. Right click on the downloaded driver file.

Step 3. Click/tap on Troubleshoot Compatibility.

I also suggest install the latest drivers available for Windows 10 from manufacturer.

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Syed Abdul Jabbar, Jan 21, 2019
Thema:

windows update smashes video drivers

1. windows update smashes video drivers - Similar Threads - update smashes video

2. Windows update and Intel video driver

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows update and Intel video driver: I have a Dell XPS-8940 with a built in Intel UHD Graphics 750 video display adapter using Windows 11 Pro. Prior to the 22H2 update, Intel's Driver and Support Assistant updated my video driver to 31.0.101. The next day the driver was rolled back to 27.20 without any action on...
  3. Windows update and Intel video driver

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows update and Intel video driver: I have a Dell XPS-8940 with a built in Intel UHD Graphics 750 video display adapter using Windows 11 Pro. Prior to the 22H2 update, Intel's Driver and Support Assistant updated my video driver to 31.0.101. The next day the driver was rolled back to 27.20 without any action on...
  4. Video Driver

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Video Driver: Help!!! I accidentally uninstalled my Video Driver, I can't see it in Display Adapter anymore. When I restarted my pc, Display adapter showed up but inside it its Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. I also forgot the name of my previous video driver but I know that it is intel g...
  5. video drivers disappear after update

video drivers disappear after update: Bought a lenova Desktop last summer it has windows 10 installed everytime i do a windows update i lose drivers for both video cards the built in Intel video card as well as well as the nvidia pci-x card. is there a way to stop this from happening without disabling updates....
  6. video drivers

video drivers: video driver updates https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/video-drivers/45b4a21a-eedc-451e-a06e-c46f92e0b6ef
  7. Video Update Driver for Movie Maker

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Video Update Driver for Movie Maker: I am using Movie Maker and it is running slow. The message that I am getting is to install a driver card or update one. What does this mean? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/video-update-driver-for-movie-maker/3d5e009c-0ff7-475c-aba4-26317c93a441
  8. Video Drivers

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Video Drivers: Did a clean install 10122 preview.I had to install drivers for the video cards. The other builds I did not have to do this.Then I did the updates the drivers would be installed.Is there a reason 10112 does not do this? 6262
  9. Problems updating video driver on windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Problems updating video driver on windows 10: Recently Microsoft was encoraging us to upgrade to windows 10. I resisted, and my computer is still at windows 7, but my wife allowed them to upgrade her computer to windows 10. She hasn't had many issues since, but recently she noticed that it crashed from time to time. The...
  10. Video Drivers

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Video Drivers: Want to install Windows 10 Preview on a Dell Inspiron m5030. When the installer reboots the install, after a shot time screen goes Black.As if there are no Video drivers. I use to run Windows 7 on it no problem. I have been using Linux on it. Does any body know if 9926 has...