Windows 10: Windows Update - SoftwareDistribution folder location change error

Discus and support Windows Update - SoftwareDistribution folder location change error in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have been using Windows 10 and I need to install a cumulative update (with standalone installer) to the system. However, as the memory of hard drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ezg_, Feb 20, 2019.

1. ezg_ Win User

Windows Update - SoftwareDistribution folder location change error

I have been using Windows 10 and I need to install a cumulative update (with standalone installer) to the system. However, as the memory of hard drive is only 32gb, more space is needed and it is not possible for me to free up the drive.

Therefore, I changed the SoftwareDistribution folder location (moved from c drive to removable disk) by using symlink methods. After the junction was created, I tried to install the update but I get the following error:

"Installer encountered an error: 0x8007000b. An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format."

How can I solve it?

:)

2. Nicrite Win User

Vista Ultimate - 'User' Folder Location

No tried that.

Can copy the entire folder to D; but Windows still points to C as the location. Can change personal folders location to a folder on D;, but this still leaves hidden files etc on C;. Thus meaning there are 2 Users folders. Have managed to change the Public folder location to D;, with some registry tweaks, but this doesnt seem to work for the entire folder.

any more suggestions

Nicrite, Feb 20, 2019
  3. JousteR Win User
    WTF! Vista update error code 80070002

I just did this couple of days ago worked fine for me..*Smile Windows Update - SoftwareDistribution folder location change error :)

JousteR, Feb 20, 2019
  4. Boomer Win User

WTF! Vista update error code 80070002

I need more information - Minhajul Hoq
    29-Nov-07 06:12:31

Can you please tell me the error code you receive when you get the update failed message? If it is 80070002 or anything like that, follow these steps:

Well, first of all let me just say that I am not a computer professional. However, I have had the same problem with my 32-Bit Windows Vista Home Premium (making Microsoft's statement null and void) and I have solved it! Here are the step by step instructions:

1) Go to the Start Menu.

2) Click on Computer.

3) Open up the drive where windows is installed (usually your C drive).

4) Open the Windows Folder.

5) Scroll down a bit and locate the SoftwareDistribution folder (exactly like that).

6) Open the Download folder.

7) Open the Install folder.

8) There sould only be one file there. Right click on it and select "Run as Administrator".

9) After entering an Administrator password, run the installation, using the default values and clicking yes at the license.

10) After the installation is complete (shouldn't take more than a few minutes), restart your computer (as an added precaution, though not necessary).

11) After the computer restarts again, run Windows Update again. It should run as normal. All fixed!

I apologize for Microsoft's ineptitude.

This worked for me guys...

Boomer, Feb 20, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows Update - SoftwareDistribution folder location change error - Similar Threads - Update SoftwareDistribution folder

2. Changing folder location

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing folder location: Can I change the location of folders that I have made up in the default videos program to a drive that I have also made from a simple volume?Kenneth https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-folder-location/7c53fd1a-117d-4841-92ec-e3c8272430a7
  3. Changing folder location

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changing folder location: Can I change the location of folders that I have made up in the default videos program to a drive that I have also made from a simple volume?Kenneth https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-folder-location/7c53fd1a-117d-4841-92ec-e3c8272430a7
  4. Deleting SoftwareDistribution Folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleting SoftwareDistribution Folder: Dear Support,I accidentally deleted the SoftwareDistribution folder instead of the downloads forler inside of there while clearing caches.I did press skip on everything that popped up.I just wanna make sure if all it okay by asking this here.Or is it better to delete the...
  5. Delete SoftwareDistribution folder

in Windows 10 Customization
    Delete SoftwareDistribution folder: If I delete the SoftwareDistribution folder can I still uninstall updates? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/delete-softwaredistribution-folder/990eb5dc-1966-4e82-9bb3-ee8da3a39e54
  6. Updates 4.04 GB but SoftwareDistribution folder is empty.

Updates 4.04 GB but SoftwareDistribution folder is empty.: [ATTACH] Hello, I'm having an issue in which according to settings, the updates are taking 4.04 GB of space. Is there any way to clean it? I already checked SoftwareDistrubition/Download and it's empty there. Can someone please help me with this issue? Thank you....
  7. Error when changing location of user folder

Error when changing location of user folder: So i tried changing the OneDrive Pictures folder to the pictures folder on my on site network drive, and it brought this error msg up: [ATTACH] How would one make it successfully make the pictures folder on the onsite network drive?...
  8. SoftwareDistribution folder duplicated on second drive

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    SoftwareDistribution folder duplicated on second drive: ​Since the Win10 Anniversary update, I have a duplicate SoftwareDistribution folder on my B drive (which is where I store all my files). There is the regular SoftwareDistribution folder under c:/Windows plus a SoftwareDistribution.old folder, both of which have half a dozen...
  9. SoftwareDistribution Folder

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    SoftwareDistribution Folder: ]I just found where all my updates were located. However there are lots of folders and files. Can I safely delete them as they take up lots of space? The figure below shows how much is in the folder. Thanks for any help. [img] 15686
  10. Emptying Windows/SoftwareDistribution/Download folder.

in Windows 10 Support
    Emptying Windows/SoftwareDistribution/Download folder.: Can we delete all folders and files in the above folder? 37643

Users found this page by searching for:

1. softwaredistribution.old softwaredistribution.old

2. Ren%systemroor%SoftwareDistribution Software Distribution.Bak

3. windows software distribution

4. windows 10 softwaredistribution folder,
  5. catroot2 windows 10