Windows 10: windows update/ something stopping downloads

Discus and support windows update/ something stopping downloads in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; hi since my last up date/ security update something is stoping my windows update srvice from downloading and installing any further updates, i... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by philratcliff, Jan 31, 2019.

1. windows update/ something stopping downloads

hi

since my last up date/ security update something is stoping my windows update srvice from downloading and installing any further updates, i suspect it has something to do with windows defender/security service, i have tried to figure it out but it is beyond me.

anyone outthere have any ideas on how i can get my upgrade service running properly again.

please be patient with me as i have early onset dementia so instructions on how to procced would be apreciated

many thanks regards

:)

philratcliff, Jan 31, 2019

2. Windows 10 forced download

To stop the download, uninstall the KB3035583 update (under "Control Panel > Windows Update > Installed Updates").

To get rid of the C:\$Windows.~BT folder:
    • Right-click on your C: drive.
    • Select "Properties".
    • Click on [ Disk Cleanup ]
    • After the initial scan: If you have a [ Clean up system files ] button, click it and wait for the second scan to finish.
    • Scroll down the list and look for "Temporary Windows installation files" (its size should be in the gigabytes range); check the box.
    • Click on [ OK ] to start the clean-up.

Static~Charge, Jan 31, 2019
  3. m4gicfour Win User
    Windows 10 forced download

^This, then reboot and go to manually update windows. Find KB3035583 in the list of available updates, right-click and "Hide this update" so it doesn't get installed again next go around.

m4gicfour, Jan 31, 2019
  4. AsRock Win User

windows update/ something stopping downloads

Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Jan 31, 2019
Thema:

windows update/ something stopping downloads

1. windows update/ something stopping downloads - Similar Threads - update something stopping

2. 22H2 update stopped downloading

in Windows 10 Gaming
    22H2 update stopped downloading: I have Windows 11 and I got the 22H2 already on my machine. I initiate the download process however it stops at the middle. It is not downloading for 2 hours now. I know that it is not working because previously if there is this kind of update it will download and install...
  3. 22H2 update stopped downloading

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    22H2 update stopped downloading: I have Windows 11 and I got the 22H2 already on my machine. I initiate the download process however it stops at the middle. It is not downloading for 2 hours now. I know that it is not working because previously if there is this kind of update it will download and install...
  4. Something Wrong With Windows Download

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Something Wrong With Windows Download: I decided to download Windows 10 on my iMac and I followed every step. I turned it off for a bit and when I turned it on again, it said "The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed. To install Windows, click "OK"...
  5. Can a Windows update be stopped as it's downloading

Can a Windows update be stopped as it's downloading: As Windows is downloading, can it be stopped. I'm not talking about stopping updates nor am I talking about updates after they're downloaded. I'm asking if it can be stopped for example, if it's 10% or 20% downloading. Please advise. Thanks!...
  6. Update download stops at 91%

Update download stops at 91%: Update stops at 91%. What should I do so it completes 100% update. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/update-download-stops-at-91/b094bf0a-cd3a-4434-953d-14108b31e91a
  7. windows keeps downloading something and I cant stop it

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    windows keeps downloading something and I cant stop it: This morning when i turned on my PC my network got completely saturated so I started searching for the culprit and it seems to be Delivery Optimization process and i cant stop it. I cant disable the service I get a Access denied error. I can temporarily disable it for like...
  8. trying to download something

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    trying to download something: you see I'm trying to download a animation program called Macromedia Flash (adobe flash player) but idk which site to download it from I tried to download it on few sites but it seem to say it was not safe to download or not commonly downloaded since its a exe file I'm not...
  9. somethings prevent me to download the October update.

somethings prevent me to download the October update.: I'm an insider. Release preview. I attempted to check the update and it keeps: "Feature update to windows 10, version 1809. downloading 0%->pending install->we can't install some updates because some updates are in progress. Restart your computer may help... The update has...
  10. How to stop an update download

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to stop an update download: The other day I connected a TomTom satnav to a usb port to check it for problems for a friend. The next day Win10 reported an update for TomTom was ready to download and install. There does not appear to be any way to stop this happening. Can anyone suggest how I can...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows update stopping downloads