Windows 10: Windows update sticks in the search mode

Discus and support Windows update sticks in the search mode in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; when running windows 10 updates function it just keeps searching and the ......... dots just keep looking for updates and it never reaches the "no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by RichardWhisenhunt, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Windows update sticks in the search mode

when running windows 10 updates function it just keeps searching and the ......... dots just keep looking for updates and it never reaches the "no updates available" nor does it find updates - just sticks in the search mode - last update was the June 2020 release. I ran the troubleshoot function and it also sticks in the looking for pending restarts and never completes - just keeps running?

:)

RichardWhisenhunt, Jul 16, 2020
  2. jbailey8 Win User

HyperSLI (Enabling SLI on non-sli motherboards)

To turn off windows updates in windows 7 follow these steps:

Click the start button, in the search box type in 'windows updates', click on 'windows update'
    in the search results list, in the left side of the windows update window click 'change settings'
    then in the option bar select 'Never check for updates'.

jbailey8, Jul 16, 2020
  3. nkatsar Win User
    FIXED!! Windows 7 sp1 never ends searching for updates

Pros:
    • No need for a script, easy to apply manually
    • Much smaller download, seems that KB3020369 is not required, only SP1 is needed
    Cons:
    • Windows Update Client downloaded by the script is newer (June 2016 version is included in KB3172605 instead of March 2016)
    • You will still need to download/install hundreds of updates afterwards, most of them are already included in KB3125574 and installed by the script

nkatsar, Jul 16, 2020
  4. erpguy53 Win User

Windows update sticks in the search mode

FIXED!! Windows 7 sp1 never ends searching for updates

need KB4048970 if using Vista - that's the latest win32k.sys patch. while it's listed for Windows Server 2008 only, it should also install & work under Vista SP2 as I've tested myself on an old Vista machine.

for Win7 SP1, KB3172605 or better to speed up Windows Update searches as noted here:
    Search for Windows Updates takes forever? - A possible solution

erpguy53, Jul 16, 2020
Thema:

Windows update sticks in the search mode

1. Windows update sticks in the search mode - Similar Threads - update sticks search

2. Can I get the Search term to "stick"?

in Cortana
    Can I get the Search term to "stick"?: If this isn’t the correct forum for this question, I would be grateful if someone could direct me to the correct group. I use the Search function in File Explorer many times throughout the day. It would be very helpful to me if the search term would “stick,” or “persist.”...
  3. Can I get the Search term to "stick"?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I get the Search term to "stick"?: If this isn’t the correct forum for this question, I would be grateful if someone could direct me to the correct group. I use the Search function in File Explorer many times throughout the day. It would be very helpful to me if the search term would “stick,” or “persist.”...
  4. Can I get the Search term to "stick"?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Disable dark mode in Windows Search

Disable dark mode in Windows Search: Microsoft recently updated windows 10 search to have a dark mode. However I prefer light mode search. I have dark mode enabled only for system and not for apps. When I disable dark mode completely I get light mode search back but I do not want to do that.Up until now,...
  6. Windows search stuck in light mode

Windows search stuck in light mode: So, i just switched up my color theme on windows, and i still have dark as the priority, but whenever i use search, the search color is in light mode. i cant find any way to fix it. does anyone know how?...
  7. Windows update stick at 30%

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows update stick at 30%: Stuck on 30% for couple of hours now and i dont know if i should turn it off or just wait submitted by /u/Secytoo [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jsemns/windows_update_stick_at_30/
  8. update windows 10 usb stick

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    update windows 10 usb stick: has any one tried to see if they can update the stick my Idea is too delete the old use the media create tool and send it to the flash drive. reason it doesn't have the drives for internet brand new motherboard and it had no internet the LAN wouldn't work until 1809 was...
  9. Restarted computer in safe mode, stick in airplane mode and cant sign onto Windows

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Restarted computer in safe mode, stick in airplane mode and cant sign onto Windows: I was troubleshooting an issue in Windows 10.1 and somehow when i was rebooting airplane mode got turned on and it won't turn off. At the windows log in screen i usually enter a PIN and it is asking for a password. i tried the Admin password and my windows password and...
  10. Windows 10 update sticks at 67%

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 update sticks at 67%: I just happened to notice tonight when I checked for updates, it said Updates are available and showed 67%. After a bit, I checked back and it was obvious it was stuck and going no where fast. I rebooted the machine and see now it is at 45% and apparently stuck again. Is...