Windows 10: Windows update stuck at 28%

Discus and support Windows update stuck at 28% in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hey there. So, I got a message telling that there is a new update for Windows 10. so I came to update it. After a few hours later, it suddenly stops... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Dan P. Lyons, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Windows update stuck at 28%

Hey there. So, I got a message telling that there is a new update for Windows 10.

so I came to update it. After a few hours later, it suddenly stops at 28%. And it's been it for 6 hours and so on.

And I really need to get it to 29% and further to the complete the update, but it apparently is not working.

what is the update doing wrong?

Thanks.

Dan P. Lyons

:)

Dan P. Lyons, Aug 18, 2019

2. Updates stuck in 28% and resting is stuck in download

Hi Jim,

Thank you for posting in Community.

We understand your concern and we will provide the assistance required to help you resolve the issue.

Before we proceed, I would like you to clarify the following so that we have a clearer understanding if your issue.

1. You have stated that KB 3124262 has installed successfully, then which updates is stuck in 28%?

2. Are you able to download programs/apps from the web browser?

3. What is the strength of your Internet Connectivity?

I would suggest that you perform the steps mentioned below and check if you can download and install the updates.

Method 1: Windows Update Troubleshooter.

This is an in build troubleshooter, which will enable you to find and fix errors pertaining to updates.

• On search bar type Troubleshooting
    • Then click on View All on the left panel of the screen.
    • Click on Windows Update.
    • Click on Next and follow the prompts to run the troubleshooter.

Method 2: Windows Services.

Open the services that are related to Windows Updates to check if they are set accordingly.

a. Press Windows key + R, type
    services.msc

b. Locate Windows Update service.

c. Right click on the Windows Update service and select
    Properties.

d. In Start-up type, select
    Automatic

e. Click Start under Service status.

f. Click OK.

g. Repeat the steps c to f
    for the following services also:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service, Windows Time & Cryptographic Service.

Hope this information helps.

Vanessa Sohtun, Aug 18, 2019
  3. user33331 Win User
    Win10: windows update stuck at never ending loop ?

When in win10:
    • Update&security -> Windows update -> Finding update... .... .... ....
    Planning to download the latest Win10.ISO (vers.1803) and manually update:
    - Then wait that my ordered new SSD arrives and clone the old HDD to it.

user33331, Aug 18, 2019
  4. Donn101 Win User

Windows update stuck at 28%

Windows 10, down loading updates is stuck at 28%

I have upgraded to Windows 10 and previous updates downloaded and installed as usual.

Now Windows Update says Updates are available

Security Update for Microsoft Word 2010 (KB2965313) 32-Bit Edition.

Downloading updates 28%

And it's been at 28% for almost a week. What do I do to cancel and restart the downloads?

OK I finally found a thread with similar problem and can't find it again- Anyway, the person provided 2 suggestions, one was the troubleshooting tip- that didn't work for me- after running was told no errors

2nd suggestion was stopping various services - I started this and wasn't able to get beyond the step to delete a file- got error that file was in use and could not be deleted- so I didn't bother to go on to step 5. I shut down my computer and restarted-
    then it jumped to 30% and hung like that for a couple of hours- I just let that run in the background as I had things to get done. Since it hung up again, I just repeated what I had done earlier and this time everything continued to download and install-
    so not sure why this worked but it seems to have and now I'm upgrading to the latest 10. The only thing I haven't checked yet is if there are any failed installs. If there are, then I will post, otherwise, my thread can be closed

Donn101, Aug 18, 2019
Thema:

Windows update stuck at 28%

1. Windows update stuck at 28% - Similar Threads - update stuck 28%

2. Installing Windows 10 from USB Drive, Stuck at 28%

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing Windows 10 from USB Drive, Stuck at 28%: Recently got a new pre-built pc. Everything was fine until booting it up and reaching windows. I got a error screen sending me to either continue to windows or trouble shoot the issue. Looked online for solutions and eventually just opted to create a windows 10 installation...
  3. 10 Updated Apr 28

10 Updated Apr 28: Today 20H2 received KB4023057 Cheers,Drew https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/10-updated-apr-28/eb6125a9-86f6-49f2-b108-20685167a852
  4. Windows January 28 update stuck at 98%

Windows January 28 update stuck at 98%: My Windows 10 Insider Preview update got stuck at 98%, and seems to be caught betwixt and between. I let it try for a couple of days unmolested, but finally had to turn it off at the switch. Then I started in advanced mode When I try to boot into safe mode, I get a "Windows...
  5. July 28, 2020 Updates

July 28, 2020 Updates: I'm running Windows 10 Home, Ver 1903, OS 18362.900 I have a 64 bit system. Today, July 28, I received multiple updates to Win 10. My printer quit working only because of the updates. Same thing happened Jul 3 and after hours of work someone from directly.com told me...
  6. Windows update to build 1903 or higher fails at 28%

Windows update to build 1903 or higher fails at 28%: So, I run Windows 10 build 1607 and have decided to upgrade. Whether i try upgrading through the assistant, or Windows Update, they both fail at 28%. My computer reboots and says that changes are being reverted. Also, i tried updating Windows through the installation image,...
  7. code 28???

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    code 28???: How to fix code28? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/code-28/f8d3ae9d-4200-4c2c-b46a-71e37f533f42
  8. Aug 28 update colors

in Windows 10 Customization
    Aug 28 update colors: After the latest updates, last night, the colors on my desktop have changed dramatically, and I HATE them. __ The desktop "windows" background color progression was so glaring on the left side I finally had to change it to a solid color after trying all the available...
  9. Why is windows update stuck on both our laptops since 28 January 2019 installation?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Why is windows update stuck on both our laptops since 28 January 2019 installation?: Have been unable to download Windows defender anti virus update. it is stuck on both laptops does not move from 0% https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/why-is-windows-update-stuck-on-both-our-laptops/906bf924-b0f0-4026-928c-a704462b7416
  10. Windows 10 Rest stuck at 99% after 28 hours

Windows 10 Rest stuck at 99% after 28 hours: I had to do a reset of my mothers computer because it was compromised by someone calling her and telling her they worked for Microsoft and she had issues with her computer. The remoted into her computer and did some adjustments that she claimed helped her. I wanted to get...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. google update fails 28%

2. windwos 10 update got failed at 28%

3. windows 10 latest update stuck at 28%

4. windows 10 20h2 upgrade stuck at 28%,
  5. windows 10 update 28%,
  6. print spooler running cpu 28%,
  7. windows 10 uodate stuck 28,
  8. windows update stuck at 28,
  9. win10 update stuck.at 28,
  10. windows update 1909 stuck 28%,
  11. windows update stuck 28,