Windows 10: Windows Update Stuck in "Starting" State after Clean Install

Discus and support Windows Update Stuck in "Starting" State after Clean Install in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello, I've been banging my head against this issue for a couple of days now. I Have Windows 10 Home Edition version 21H2.I had the problem that my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Jodin, Sep 26, 2022.

1. Jodin Win User

Windows Update Stuck in "Starting" State after Clean Install

Hello, I've been banging my head against this issue for a couple of days now. I Have Windows 10 Home Edition version 21H2.I had the problem that my Windows Update wouldn't work. It was stuck in "starting", so I tried many things I saw online. Eventually I ended up doing a clean install after formatting my disk and installing a fresh version of Windows from a USB-Drive.But unfortunately, the problem persisted. Now I assume there must be something wrong with the hardware or something, since I did a full clean re-install. I tried the troubleshooter, I tried several scripts to clean up things. Can

:)

Jodin, Sep 26, 2022

2. Clean Install Workaround for Vista

You may remember this news story on techPowerUp! a couple of days ago relating to the lack of clean installs when using the Upgrade Editions of Vista, which required an old OS to be installed. However, Paul Thurrott has managed to find a workaround for this issue, which ironically lets users do a clean install Vista without any previous version of Windows, albeit a little tedious. Here are the steps:
    • Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD as normal
    • When prompted for a product code, leave this blank
    • Select the version of Vista you have purchased and let Vista install
    • When you boot to your desktop for the first time, run the Vista setup from Windows
    • This time enter your product key
    • When asked whether you want to do an Upgrade of Custom install, select custom and choose a clean install
    • Windows will now install for a second time and you should be able to activate it
    Remember, these steps are only advised for use in order to achieve a clean install of Vista, it is only legal to use the upgrade editions if you have previously purchased the appropriate version of Windows.

Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, Sep 26, 2022
  3. AsRock Win User
    Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Sep 26, 2022
  4. Windows Update Stuck in "Starting" State after Clean Install

windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Sep 26, 2022
Thema:

Windows Update Stuck in "Starting" State after Clean Install

1. Windows Update Stuck in "Starting" State after Clean Install - Similar Threads - Update Stuck Starting

2. Windows Update Stuck in "Starting" State after Clean Install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Update Stuck in "Starting" State after Clean Install: Hello, I've been banging my head against this issue for a couple of days now. I Have Windows 10 Home Edition version 21H2.I had the problem that my Windows Update wouldn't work. It was stuck in "starting", so I tried many things I saw online. Eventually I ended up doing a...
  3. Windows Update Stuck in "Starting" State after Clean Install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update Stuck in "Starting" State after Clean Install: Hello, I've been banging my head against this issue for a couple of days now. I Have Windows 10 Home Edition version 21H2.I had the problem that my Windows Update wouldn't work. It was stuck in "starting", so I tried many things I saw online. Eventually I ended up doing a...
  4. Stuck at windows loading after clean windows install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stuck at windows loading after clean windows install: I got a new SSD for my system and i did clean install of windows from bootable usb drive. I created all the partitions of SSD which windows setup creates. Windows get installed completely and restarts and gets stuck on windows loading screen with mouse cursor. This happens...
  5. Stuck at windows loading after clean windows install

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Stuck at windows loading after clean windows install: I got a new SSD for my system and i did clean install of windows from bootable usb drive. I created all the partitions of SSD which windows setup creates. Windows get installed completely and restarts and gets stuck on windows loading screen with mouse cursor. This happens...
  6. Stuck at windows loading after clean windows install

7. Windows 10 Update 1903 Stuck even after clean install

Windows 10 Update 1903 Stuck even after clean install: Hi guys. I have a laptop which has Windows 10 build 1803, and it never updated to newer releases I don't know why, but still functions normally, so I never really cared about it. But since support is coming to an end for 1803, I decided to update. The update downloads...
  8. Clean Windows installation stuck

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Clean Windows installation stuck: Hello. I've been trying to install Windows for 3 days now. I finally got it to burn to a DVD but now it gets stuck at "Getting files ready for installation (95%)". I gave it plenty of time the first attempt by letting it run overnight, but it was stuck there. I did do alot of...
  9. After 1803 update on a clean install I've updated Windows and now stuck on a Windows...

After 1803 update on a clean install I've updated Windows and now stuck on a Windows...: None of the advanced repairs are working either....help!!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/after-1803-update-on-a-clean-install-ive-updated/2900a6e1-8ec4-42a1-a6b4-cb9a5b838985
  10. Windows 10 clean install stuck installing updates

Windows 10 clean install stuck installing updates: Greetings, I've just registered into this forum, i hope there would be someone who can solve my problem, thanks before My device: Laptop Asus G73SW Core i7 8GB RAM 460M 2x1TB drive UEFI support (but still with old bios interface) Media & method used: 8GB usb...