Windows 10: Windows Update stuck on "undoing this update" for days

Discus and support Windows Update stuck on "undoing this update" for days in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; When I opened my laptop an aging Acer with a spinning-rust hard disk yesterday morning I got the following message: "We couldn't complete the updates.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Miriam Alcock, Sep 20, 2021.

1. Windows Update stuck on "undoing this update" for days

When I opened my laptop an aging Acer with a spinning-rust hard disk yesterday morning I got the following message: "We couldn't complete the updates. Undoing changes. Don't turn off your computer."This message continued until 11pm, then changed to "restarting". I left it restarting when I went to bed; the following morning the message had gone back to "undoing changes" again.Has anyone else seen this, and what should I do? It feels like it's stuck in a loop to me.

:)

Miriam Alcock, Sep 20, 2021
  2. user33331 Win User

Win10: windows update stuck at never ending loop ?

When in win10:
    • Update&security -> Windows update -> Finding update... .... .... ....
    Planning to download the latest Win10.ISO (vers.1803) and manually update:
    - Then wait that my ordered new SSD arrives and clone the old HDD to it.

user33331, Sep 20, 2021
  3. AsRock Win User
    Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Sep 20, 2021
  4. Windows Update stuck on "undoing this update" for days

Windows showing undoing screen and remain stuck

Hello,
    Windows Update stuck on "undoing this update" for days [​IMG]

I have downloaded the new updates... now my computer is undoing updates and its stuck.. its not undoing . it just remains stuck... picture attached...its been 5 6 days. will this cause problems to hard diskd.. tell me some suggestions

NIKHILROY1, Sep 20, 2021
Thema:

Windows Update stuck on "undoing this update" for days

1. Windows Update stuck on "undoing this update" for days - Similar Threads - Update stuck undoing

2. Stuck on "undoing changes" for Windows 11 22H2 feature update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stuck on "undoing changes" for Windows 11 22H2 feature update: I am running Windows 11 21H2 build 22000.1817 and my Windows Update comes back with wanting to install Feature Update 22H2, and as we have a certified security compliance I soon must get it installed.Normal updates install just fine, e.g. yesterday it installed `2023-04...
  3. Stuck on "undoing changes" for Windows 11 22H2 feature update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Stuck on "undoing changes" for Windows 11 22H2 feature update: I am running Windows 11 21H2 build 22000.1817 and my Windows Update comes back with wanting to install Feature Update 22H2, and as we have a certified security compliance I soon must get it installed.Normal updates install just fine, e.g. yesterday it installed `2023-04...
  4. Update stuck on 30% for days

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update stuck on 30% for days: Hi, hoping for some advice! Laptop has been updating windows 10 for days now - keeps getting stuck at "Working in updates, 30% complete, don't turn off your computer." Have tried to restart, still stays stuck. Can't access any menus or functions from the screen it's on!...
  5. Windows 10 update stuck 3 days

Windows 10 update stuck 3 days: [IMG] Its been doing this for 3 going on 4 days. I let the laptop die and turned it on and off 3 times for the safe reset but nothing works. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-update-stuck-3-days/ad46a90b-2a0f-4ea3-83f2-ab7bf6f896a4
  6. Stuck in Couldnt Update & Undoing Changes Loop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Stuck in Couldnt Update & Undoing Changes Loop: My laptop updated and shutdown last night, now when I try to start up it tries to update, can't, then gets stuck in an endless loop of undoing changes. I twice booted into winRe, once to Safe Mode with Networking, once just Safe Mode, both simply took me to undoing changes...
  7. Laptop stuck on Undoing Changes after Windows 10 update

Laptop stuck on Undoing Changes after Windows 10 update: This question has been asked before but never answered. My Laptop has just tried to upgrade from version 1803 to 1809 and is now stuck on Undoing changes made to your computer. I can't get anything other than this so no safe mode available. Is there anything I can do other...
  8. Windows update stuck at 80% all day

Windows update stuck at 80% all day: My screen says Working on updates 80% Dont turn off your pc. This will take a while. All days seems a bit too long! This is all thats on the scrreen. No mouse. I have turned it off but it comes back to this screen when i thurn it in again. Any suggestions?...
  9. Windows 10 update stuck for three days?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 update stuck for three days?: I started installing Windows 10 and my laptop restarted a few times but for the past three days it's been stuck on a black screen that just says 'packard bell' there's no mouse, no way to re boot it. I've tried turning off and on but it just does the same. Help would be...
  10. Windows Updates - Stuck on "Downloading updates 37%" for 2 days!

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Updates - Stuck on "Downloading updates 37%" for 2 days!: I think the "updates freezing" issue has come up in another thread and apologies if it has, but I can't find it momentarily. The screen shots show what I've been looking at for two days now. Obviously something is amiss with Automatic Update but I dunno what, or what to do...