Windows 10: Windows Update takes up more RAM space

Discus and support Windows Update takes up more RAM space in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I just downloaded the new Windows 10 update (1903) and I noticed I lost a few GB of usable RAM (Last version I was able to use 18 GB, now I'm 15.4 GB)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by PhilMacRae, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Windows Update takes up more RAM space

I just downloaded the new Windows 10 update (1903) and I noticed I lost a few GB of usable RAM (Last version I was able to use 18 GB, now I'm 15.4 GB) Why is this and how am I able to fix it so I can get my full amount of usable RAM space back?

:)

PhilMacRae, Jun 8, 2019

2. space in hard dist for update windows 10

Hello ManolisTsitkanos,

To better assist you with your concern, I'd like to know the following:

• Confirm which build is currently installed on your device. To check, follow the steps below:
    • Press Windows key + R, then type in winver.
    • Click OK.
    • What is the make and model of your computer?
    • What is the exact error message that you're getting when performing an update?

Meanwhile, I'd suggest following the steps in this article
    to help you free up drive space on your Windows 10 device.

Looking forward to your response.

Regards.

Melchizedek Qui, Jun 8, 2019
  3. AsRock Win User
    Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Jun 8, 2019
  4. Johan45 Win User

Windows Update takes up more RAM space

AMD FX OC'ers Club

That's what the auto setting will do since you're over the 1333 mark it jumps to the next step which isn't listed or officially supported I assume by that ram.

At this point though I would suggest dropping the multi one step or .5 so that we can get something stable and possibly take the heat issue out of the picture for now.

Johan45, Jun 8, 2019
Thema:

Windows Update takes up more RAM space

1. Windows Update takes up more RAM space - Similar Threads - Update takes more

2. Something in my computer keeps taking up more and more space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Something in my computer keeps taking up more and more space: Ever since seven days ago, I had 67.3GB free in my SSD drive out of 117GB.Now in the past week something has been drastically using up space, and now I'm only left with 50.8GB.The biggest thing I have downloaded was a film, which I sent to Recycle Bin and permanently deleted...
  3. Something in my computer keeps taking up more and more space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Something in my computer keeps taking up more and more space: Ever since seven days ago, I had 67.3GB free in my SSD drive out of 117GB.Now in the past week something has been drastically using up space, and now I'm only left with 50.8GB.The biggest thing I have downloaded was a film, which I sent to Recycle Bin and permanently deleted...
  4. Files taking up more space than they should.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files taking up more space than they should.: So when i download files, or pick files from my old computer to the one i am using now, the files take up more space than they should, and my disk storage seemingly keeps decreasing alone, the problem seems to be fixed when i delete the file, however the extra storage space...
  5. Files taking up more space than they should.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Files taking up more space than they should.: So when i download files, or pick files from my old computer to the one i am using now, the files take up more space than they should, and my disk storage seemingly keeps decreasing alone, the problem seems to be fixed when i delete the file, however the extra storage space...
  6. Antimalware taking up a lot of RAM and disk space

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Antimalware taking up a lot of RAM and disk space: I was checking task manager and my antimalware started taking up a lot of RAM and disk space and I couldn't run any applications. I ran windows defender offline scan and it still went on. What do I do?...
  7. My Desktop Windows Manager is gradually taking up more and more RAM.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My Desktop Windows Manager is gradually taking up more and more RAM.: After updating my Windows 10 with the latest update, my DWM is constantly taking up more and more Memory. It's gotten to the point where it took up 96% of my RAM just because I left my laptop open. I have a Lenovo IPS 3, with an i5-10210U CPU, and a NVIDIA GeForce MX 130,...
  8. Deleted Files take up MORE space after deletion

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Deleted Files take up MORE space after deletion: Was low on room for my C: drive so I decided to go uninstall some of the campaigns for HALO. All in all, it should have brought about 45gbs of space back to me. Instead, it took up MORE room and now I have 400mbs of space left. It is NOT system restore- I had this issue in...
  9. Windows taking more disk space

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows taking more disk space: I have upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. Now, my C drive is almost full with 714GB occupied by "System and reserved". I was in an assumption that, Windows 10 was suppose to take less space. Can you please help me in this. 22430
  10. Taking up more space with each installation try

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Taking up more space with each installation try: I've tried to update my laptop from W7 to W10 for the last 2 days. Each time I try my laptop redownloads and tries a reinstall. With each redownload more space is taken up on my C: drive to the point now that I don't have enough memory to try another update. How can I clear...