Windows 10: windows update to 1709 failed and slowed to a crawl

Discus and support windows update to 1709 failed and slowed to a crawl in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; microsoft updated my desktop from 1703 to 1709 and it failed. the computer is down to a crawl. with the help of a tech i did a reset and it is even... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by pothound, Dec 6, 2017.

1. pothound Win User

windows update to 1709 failed and slowed to a crawl

microsoft updated my desktop from 1703 to 1709 and it failed. the computer is down to a crawl. with the help of a tech i did a reset and it is even slower, to being disabled. can not download anything. where do i start? thank you

:)

pothound, Dec 6, 2017

2. Computer slowed to a crawl after Windows 10 Update

Hello Chris,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused to you due to this issue. I would like to assist you with further information from here.

From the description provided, I understand that you are experiencing functionality issues with the operating system after installing the latest Windows update.

1. What is the update that was installed on the computer?

2. What is the make and model of your computer?

3. What is the anti virus installed on the computer?

Now follow the below suggested methods and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

Method 1:

This issue may happen due to system file corruption. I suggest you to run System file checker. System File checker (SFC) scan is done to check if there are any corrupted system files that could be causing this issue. Kindly follow
    the below given steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Command prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated Command prompt.

• In Command prompt type
      sfc/scannow
      and press enter.

• Restart the computer.

Method 2:

If no corrupted system files were found in the previous state, then I suggest you to try the following steps to employ the DISM command lines:

• Open command prompt by pressing Windows key + X and selecting “Command prompt admin”.

• In command prompt, type the following commands and press Enter after each command:
    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Cleanupimage

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

• Close the command prompt and restart the PC and check if it works.

Hope the above information was helpful. If you need further assistance, please do let us know and we would be happy to help you further.

Thank You.

Ruth Buruga, Dec 6, 2017
  3. Computer slowed to a crawl after Windows 10 Update

Hi, I upgraded to Windows 10 some months ago and have had no problems until now. Windows released an update not to long ago. Since the installation of that update, my computer has slowed to a crawl. It will take 30 minutes sometimes for it to load, getting
    files open or programs started is impossible.

I would like to remove the update but I can't even open the Start menu.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Does anyone know how to remove this latest update?

ChrisM2016, Dec 6, 2017
  4. windows update to 1709 failed and slowed to a crawl

Hi pothound.

Did you look in device manager? are there any devices in difficulty, they will have a yellow exclamation mark.

Right click Start > Device manager

If there are any post back.

Next I would recommend you fall back to 1703 and set connection to metered until you are better prepared for update.

Start > Settings > Update and security> Recovery. There should be an option on right to fall back to previous version. (This is only possible for 10 days after the install.)

Once back set connection to metered.

Start > Settings > Network and Internet. Depending if you are on Wi-fi or ethernet, click on the one you are using. Click on your network on the right and then click manage. On window that opens click metered.

The problem with this strategy is you have to set every network you connect to to metered.

Assuming you these two steps are complete. You should create an image of your system with a tool like Macrium Reflect. This will allow you to restore your system next time if something really goes wrong.

Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect

Make a back up your date, always good to have. If you want to good the extra mile create bootable media by dreating a recovery drive.

Type recovery drive in Cortana. It should appear as app at top of list. Be patient if your machine is running that slow. You will need either a 4GB, 8GB or 16GB USB Thumb drive.

I would then head to manufactures site and see if they have a forum and look up your specific machine and see if others are having the same issue.

I would also run sfc /scannow on your machine to ensure there is no corruption for your next attempt.

You might want to wait a month or so before trying again or you may wish to try again immediately. If you try again I would use this process.

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

Ken

Caledon Ken, Dec 8, 2017
  5. pothound Win User
    thank you ken. with the help of microsoft tech, i downloaded os from laptop, and installed it. i had no other choice. it was too slow to work with.

pothound, Dec 8, 2017
  6. May I suggest you look into Macrium Reflect. Built for situations like this. You simply restore an Image from a working backup. The software is free.

The link is in my post. Saves a lot of time and stress.

Caledon Ken, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

windows update to 1709 failed and slowed to a crawl

1. windows update to 1709 failed and slowed to a crawl - Similar Threads - update 1709 failed

2. Windows Update slows to a crawl from 90% - 98% and fails to update, taking 15 minutes to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Update slows to a crawl from 90% - 98% and fails to update, taking 15 minutes to...: Hello, For the past month, I have been dealing with an issue regarding KB5032189 where it would attempt to apply the update but ultimately fail. It always happens the same way, slow update from 0% to 30%, restart, speedy progress from 30% to 90%, total crawl from 90% to 98%...
  3. Windows Update slows to a crawl from 90% - 98% and fails to update, taking 15 minutes to...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Update slows to a crawl from 90% - 98% and fails to update, taking 15 minutes to...: Hello, For the past month, I have been dealing with an issue regarding KB5032189 where it would attempt to apply the update but ultimately fail. It always happens the same way, slow update from 0% to 30%, restart, speedy progress from 30% to 90%, total crawl from 90% to 98%...
  4. Windows Update slows to a crawl from 90% - 98% and fails to update, taking 15 minutes to...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows running at a slow crawl

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows running at a slow crawl: Dell InspirionIntel Core i5-9400 @2.90GHz32 GB RAMWindows 11 x64For the past week or so my PC has become almost unuseable because of how slow it runs. I read there was recent update KB5007215 but I can not find a download link on the MS website.I've tried shutting down all...
  6. Windows running at a slow crawl

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows running at a slow crawl: Dell InspirionIntel Core i5-9400 @2.90GHz32 GB RAMWindows 11 x64For the past week or so my PC has become almost unuseable because of how slow it runs. I read there was recent update KB5007215 but I can not find a download link on the MS website.I've tried shutting down all...
  7. Windows 10 is slowing to a crawl

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 is slowing to a crawl: Hey I've got Windows 10 v1909 and recently it became terribly slow. I had problems with BSOD for which i've consulted with the community and disabled Intel Turbo Boost 3 and uninstalled Kaspersky since they thought it might be conflicting with Malewarebytes. I've done a...
  8. Windows inexplicably slows to a crawl

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows inexplicably slows to a crawl: I've had an issue for a few weeks now where suddenly Windows will slow waaaay down (opening programs, websites refreshing, etc.) I can usually still open task manager and there are no obvious issues (nothing pinned at 100%, no one program that is the apparent culprit). A warm...
  9. Windows update downloads slow system to a crawl

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows update downloads slow system to a crawl: I can always tell when Windows update is downloading updates. The entire laptop (8 GB ram and fast FIOS insternet) slows down to a crawl for most of that day. It becomes painfully slow to use. Is there anything I can do about that? 99260
  10. Startup slowed to a crawl

in Windows 10 Support
    Startup slowed to a crawl: Hi Everyone, I haven't been here for quite some time. About a week ago something changed with my Windows 10 startup. Everything seems to begin smoothly until the final blue screen finishes. There was usually a slight pause before the desktop appears but now just before my...