Windows 10: Windows Update trying to install five year old GPU driver

Discus and support Windows Update trying to install five year old GPU driver in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So, as my subject says, I have been having a major issue with Windows Update constantly trying to install an ancient driver for my GPU. I have a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Soultpp, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Soultpp Win User

Windows Update trying to install five year old GPU driver

So, as my subject says, I have been having a major issue with Windows Update constantly trying to install an ancient driver for my GPU. I have a driver installed that is as current as I could get, which is at most a month or two old, but every time Windows Update checks for updates I have to deal with a double installation process as I have to go through Windows's **** followed by reinstalling the proper driver.

I had thought I had found a solution that suggested to change Local Group Polices, but that did not just block WU from installing the old one, it actually blocked ANY drivers from being installed from any source, which is not something I want.

Please help.

:)

Soultpp, Jul 31, 2020

2. Windows 7 wont install drivers

i dont think anyone here understands what your asking either when its nearly a 90% english dominated Tech forum.
    Step 1
    reinstall windows from scratch
    Step 2
    install all drivers from the cd that came with the god damn motherboard *common sense*
    Step 3
    update windows
    Step 4
    install misc etc crap like flash java etc etc
    Step 5
    Install GPU drivers
    Step 6
    go back to using your pc without issue.

crazyeyesreaper, Jul 31, 2020
  3. Windows 7 wont install drivers

+1

If you having an issue installing a driver that worked before you formatted or wont install on a fresh build, sometimes this means hardware damage

brandonwh64, Jul 31, 2020
  4. Windows Update trying to install five year old GPU driver

Windows 10 trying to install updates for old gpu drivers

Hi

I recently upgraded from a AMD gpu to a Nvidia gpu. I used the AMD clean up utility tool to remove all AMD software before I installed my

Nvidia drivers. The new gpu is working fine. However, Windows keeps trying to install old AMD drivers through the Windows Update tool. For example, right now it wants to install Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. driver update for AMD Radeon (TM) R9 380 Series and
    Advanced Micro Devices - MEDIA - 11/16/2017 12:00:00 AM - 10.0.1.6. As far as I know, I have no AMD software or hardware in my computer. How do I stop Windows update from doing this?

KareemAli2, Jul 31, 2020
Thema:

Windows Update trying to install five year old GPU driver

1. Windows Update trying to install five year old GPU driver - Similar Threads - Update trying install

2. Windows update reverting my AMD GPU drivers to the old one?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows update reverting my AMD GPU drivers to the old one?: Hi good people.I have upgraded to Win11 Pro at last and wanted to install new drivers for my Lenovo laptop with AMD Ryzen 4800u. Download, install, restart and everything is working fine. Even AMD Adrenaline is working correctly. Windows update check, it downloads my old...
  3. Windows Update trying to install old NVIDIA Display drivers?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Update trying to install old NVIDIA Display drivers?: I noticed that windows update keeps trying to install this driver "NVIDIA - Display - 26.21.14.3200 (2)" which seems to be dated around October 2019 or December 2019. Does anyone know why windows does this and how to stop it? I do actually have some vsync issues where vsync...
  4. Windows Update including drivers even with gpedit configured not to. Tries to install old...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Update including drivers even with gpedit configured not to. Tries to install old...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/DZMBA [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jroj3w/windows_update_including_drivers_even_with_gpedit/
  5. Windows Update trying to install drivers for old hardware that was removed from computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update trying to install drivers for old hardware that was removed from computer: I simply don't understand why this happens, I replaced an RX580 with an RTX 2060, all good, uninstalled the AMD drivers of the RX580 and installed the new nVidia ones, still after 2 days I found out not 1 but 2 drivers downloaded by windows update for the AMD RX580???. I...
  6. Issues trying to install a 15 year old game

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issues trying to install a 15 year old game: So I was in the mood to be playing some SidMeier's Simgolf lately and tried installing the game via CD. I get to about 20% and an error pops up saying catastrophic failure regarding the properties folder or whatever and then quits. Any advice for trying to get this game...
  7. Windows 10 trying to install updates for old gpu drivers

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 trying to install updates for old gpu drivers: Hi I recently upgraded from a AMD gpu to a Nvidia gpu. I used the AMD clean up utility tool to remove all AMD software before I installed my Nvidia drivers. The new gpu is working fine. However, Windows keeps trying to install old AMD drivers through the Windows Update...
  8. Year-Old Driver Tries to Install After Every Reboot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Year-Old Driver Tries to Install After Every Reboot: For about a year now, a Synaptics Driver /has been installing through Windows Update nearly everyday, or every time Windows checked for Updates. It is the same driver every single time, dated 8/16/2017. [ATTACH] At some point it began restarting my computer every night,...
  9. Windows Update Force install the old driver

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows Update Force install the old driver: well, first, i start with windows update in position auto update, then my driver vga auto update for amd, but, not update for newest driver but return to install the old driver, from amd 18.7.1 back to 17.7, anyone can give me solution? sorry for my bad english....
  10. Why is Windows Update trying to install old drivers

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Why is Windows Update trying to install old drivers: Try to update to latest preview build This is my Speccy http://speccy.piriform.com/results/f...Qi6knSMHGaVIez Bluetooth is same as installed Realtek Audio and Intel Video seem older 111298