Windows 10: Windows Update trying to update my Lenovo Firmware?

Discus and support Windows Update trying to update my Lenovo Firmware? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I am seeing a UAC style popup saying that something "needs to restart to install a firmware update". Killing processes one by one in Task Manager... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by rsbrux, Jun 4, 2019.

1. rsbrux Win User

Windows Update trying to update my Lenovo Firmware?

I am seeing a UAC style popup saying that something "needs to restart to install a firmware update". Killing processes one by one in Task Manager shows that the popup appears to come from Windows Update. However, I do not receive any notification from Windows Update, Windows Defender or Security Center.

Further research suggests that MS may be pushing an Intel microcode patch:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4073757/protect-windows-devices-from-speculative-execution-side-channel-attack

However, the links in that article point to info for Windows 10. I am running Windows 8.1 pro x64. Where can I find the corresponding info for my OS?

:)

rsbrux, Jun 4, 2019

2. PS3 and PSP firmware updated

Sony has updated the firmware for its two most recent consoles, with a few improvements for each. The PS3 firmware has been updated to version 1.70, which will enable gamers to play PS1 software purchased from the PlayStation Store (previously only playable on the PSP) and will allow the use of the vibration function of accessories when playing PlayStation and PlayStation 2 titles (not PS3 games unfortunately, but a step forwards). The PlayStation Store still lists all classic titles as being for the PSP, but this may be changed when it’s updated later this week. As for the PSP, the firmware has been updated to version 3.40, with the most noticeable changes being improved support for PlayStation Network titles and a changed method for managing certificates under [Game]. Apparently with the new firmware, gamers can share save data between both consoles allowing PS1 titles to be continued on the move and at home.

Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, Jun 4, 2019
  3. cadaveca Win User
    Windows Update MiniTool offering Lenovo H110 firmware?!

My point was that you'd not have such updates using the default update method.

I know some users, yourself included, have issues with how Windows updates itself, but it does do it the way it does for a reason, which I have no problems with. Windows does in fact list all the updates it applies (you get a notification that updates were installed, and which ones on which date, and whether the updates were successful, but it is a pain to find out what those updates actually are, for sure. However, you are using the software on THEIR terms, NOT yours, no matter how you look at it. Technically, since you aren't using the software the way they want, according to EULA, they can instantly make your machine a OS-less brick if they wanted, and then sue you for the time they took to do it.

And yes, I find your method of dealing with the situation comical, and think that if you are so paranoid, you best get off the internet, because there are far worse things going on behind the scenes at your ISP and the websites you visit.

cadaveca, Jun 4, 2019
  4. RejZoR Win User

Windows Update MiniTool offering Lenovo H110 firmware?!

It wouldn't be weird if it wasn't an ASUS motherboard and an entirely custom built PC that has ZERO Lenovo components.

Windows Update trying to update my Lenovo Firmware? lenovoh110_asus-png.png

Any idea why it's offering it? How is Windows Update detecting components? I've googled a bit and some other people reported they were getting it through official Windows Update app!

RejZoR, Jun 4, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows Update trying to update my Lenovo Firmware? - Similar Threads - Update trying update

2. Firmware update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Firmware update: My laptop got restarted after update and now it's has been frozen since one hour on this. Can anyone please help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/firmware-update/584bd16e-a618-4c78-baeb-da7bcc9fe8c6
  3. Firmware update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Firmware update: My laptop got restarted after update and now it's has been frozen since one hour on this. Can anyone please help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/firmware-update/584bd16e-a618-4c78-baeb-da7bcc9fe8c6
  4. Windows 22H2 update Lenovo Firmware 1.0.0.16

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 22H2 update Lenovo Firmware 1.0.0.16: Hi, I have Thinkpad X1 Extreme Gen 5 , I have updated to latest bios update from Lenovo 1.16 3/2/2023.today windows 1122H2 shows a new firmware update 1.0.0.16 as shown in the attached photo ..I just need to know is this a bios update come via windows update ?in addition...
  5. Windows 22H2 update Lenovo Firmware 1.0.0.16

Windows 22H2 update Lenovo Firmware 1.0.0.16: Hi, I have Thinkpad X1 Extreme Gen 5 , I have updated to latest bios update from Lenovo 1.16 3/2/2023.today windows 1122H2 shows a new firmware update 1.0.0.16 as shown in the attached photo ..I just need to know is this a bios update come via windows update ?in addition...
  6. Firmware update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Firmware update: https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=uefi%5Cres_%7B12b99262-648c-4365-bafd-eb869fb72094%7DHi, I need documentation for these two files in the link are the above updates compatible with my device if someone pointed out the link to the documentation thanks in...
  7. Firmware update

Firmware update: https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=uefi%5Cres_%7B12b99262-648c-4365-bafd-eb869fb72094%7DHi, I need documentation for these two files in the link are the above updates compatible with my device if someone pointed out the link to the documentation thanks in...
  8. Firmware update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. Windows errors after Intel firmware update and ThinkPad BIOS Update for Lenovo X1 Carbon

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows errors after Intel firmware update and ThinkPad BIOS Update for Lenovo X1 Carbon: Hello,I am having problems throughout my computer X1 Carbon Gen 8 with Windows 10 Pro Version 2004 after updating through Lenovo Vantage.Not sure if or how the problems are related, but I have listed some of the problems below.I would greatly appreciate any help or feedback....
  10. Lenovo Brightness After Firmware Update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Lenovo Brightness After Firmware Update: I just updated my Lenovo Ideapad 330's firmware. After the update was complete, the PC rebooted itself. After a few seconds, I realized that the brightness was the whole way up and went to turn it down. While the icon showed that the brightness would be lowered, the screen...