Windows 10: Windows Update version 20H2 *Fails to update*

Discus and support Windows Update version 20H2 *Fails to update* in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Windows update is failing after reaching 94% for the version 20H2. I dumped the log into a text file and saw some error on the Handler but I couldn't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ShubhamTiwari8, Apr 26, 2021.

1. Windows Update version 20H2 *Fails to update*

Windows update is failing after reaching 94% for the version 20H2. I dumped the log into a text file and saw some error on the Handler but I couldn't make out the exact reason for it. Below I am dumping the logs for a particular time stamp If someone can help me on this that would be grateful.*******LOGS************2021/04/26 20:48:18.9219997 10128 14356 DownloadManager Subscribing to GDR Retry due to async handler trigger.2021/04/26 20:48:19.0333469 10128 14576 SLS Get response for service 9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77 - forceExpire[False]

:)

ShubhamTiwari8, Apr 26, 2021
  2. jds21 Win User

Windows Updates failed to instal

I just did step one and they have just all installed.... thank you so much.... it was quite frustrating having that update window pop up every 5 minutes and failing to instal every time

Thanks mate

jds21, Apr 26, 2021
  3. AsRock Win User
    Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Apr 26, 2021
  4. FX-GMC Win User

Windows Update version 20H2 *Fails to update*

Windows update failing

You could try the Windows Update troubleshooter. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/open-the-windows-update-troubleshooter

If that doesn't work then do this:

FX-GMC, Apr 26, 2021
Thema:

Windows Update version 20H2 *Fails to update*

1. Windows Update version 20H2 *Fails to update* - Similar Threads - Update version 20H2

2. Windows 10 Version 20H2 update fails.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Version 20H2 update fails.: Windows 10 Version 20 H2 update fails. The error code is 0x800700ce. Troubleshooting does not help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-version-20h2-update-fails/f46ab151-382d-4234-930b-838b5a5edc7f
  3. Windows 10 Version 20H2 update fails.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Version 20H2 update fails.: Windows 10 Version 20 H2 update fails. The error code is 0x800700ce. Troubleshooting does not help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-version-20h2-update-fails/f46ab151-382d-4234-930b-838b5a5edc7f
  4. Windows 10 Version 20H2 update fails.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows Update fails. Windows 10 version 20H2

Windows Update fails. Windows 10 version 20H2: When I try to check for new updates, open the update history view or advanced options, the screen freezes and then the settings hang. I cannot undo the last update because I cannot access the list. I tried to download the update again manually for the Microsoft Download...
  6. Windows update fails, version 1909 to version 20H2, code 0xc1900223

Windows update fails, version 1909 to version 20H2, code 0xc1900223: I am trying to update a Dell Optiplex 7040 to version 20H2. So far it failed 6 times... I have tried all of the suggestions found online to no avail. No disk problems, SFS finds no problems, stopped and restarted services, cleared chached DNS information...I downloaded the...
  7. Feature Update to Windows 10, version 20H2 failed

Feature Update to Windows 10, version 20H2 failed: I have been trying to install an update through the Windows update client. When I restart or shut down and install the update, it gets 7% complete before failing. I get the message that windows was unable to complete the update and it is undoing the changes. After restarting...
  8. Windows 10 version 20H2 failed update

Windows 10 version 20H2 failed update: All of the security updates have successfully installed but the feature update, Windows 10, version 20H2, fails to install. Is my computer safe and protected without the feature update? Everything works fine as is....
  9. failed Windows 10 update for version 20H2

failed Windows 10 update for version 20H2: Dear Sirs: please respond to *** Email address is removed for privacy *** During routine patching done regularly, the Feature Update to version 20H2 failed and returned error 0x80073701. Hardware and Software configuration: Microsoft Surface Go 2 Intel Core m3-8100Y...
  10. Update Version 20H2

Update Version 20H2: Hallo Nach dem Update habe ich alle Kacheln verloren und die Windows- Taste funktioniert nicht mehr. Alle Verknüpfungen in der Tastleiste sind weg. Neustart "Fatal Error" , blauer Bildschirm. Nochmals neu gestartet und Update deinstalliert. Keine Kacheln mehr, Taskleiste...