Windows 10: Windows Update waking computer in the middle of the night. [I'm pissed off]

Discus and support Windows Update waking computer in the middle of the night. [I'm pissed off] in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello All, This thread might get deleted by Microsoft because it goes against their REALLY ANNOYING update policies. So, the date is 12 March 2020,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by FalionBrizingr, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Windows Update waking computer in the middle of the night. [I'm pissed off]

Hello All,

This thread might get deleted by Microsoft because it goes against their REALLY ANNOYING update policies.

So, the date is 12 March 2020, time, around 2 AM. I put my computer to sleep and go to bed... a few minutes after that, my computer automatically wakes up I have a steering wheel plugged into it, which auto-calibrates when windows wakes up and it is quite noisy. So I put it to sleep again and went to bed again... Until it woke me up 2 hours after that... I went to Event Viewer, found out what was causing it... Windows Update, as it couldn't get any worse than it already is. A few months ago, I've spoken to Windows Support, which failed to cooperate to help me stop Windows Updates, even though I explained that their new update breaks a software I am using, so I refuse to update and I understand the security issues that come with that, but they kindly explained that it is "not possible" to turn off updates... And now my computer wakes me up with those pesky updates? That was the last straw.

What I did:
    1. Deleted all services related to windows update orchestrator, assistant, update, medic service, all of them
    2. Deleted all of the task scheduled to WAKE MY PC UP WITHOUT MY PERMISSION.
    I've done it from the registry editor:
    "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services" - Delete everything related to windows update
    "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule" - Delete everything related to windows update
    might be a bit confusing at first, just go through the registry files, you can see the name of the task/service there.

Dear Microsoft,

I am using your OS, but my computer is still MY COMPUTER, please do not give me "permission denied" signs like they would stop a programmer. I paid for it, so please chill out with the permissions, I should have full permissions over you. Like I explained to your support staff, just make a "I am not an idiot" check-mark in your options that allow you to make modifications to your windows without anything trying to stop you.

Even if you patch the registry permissions or something, I WILL hack the living hell out of your OS with Linux to stop them again. So please, spare us all the sanity loss and don't do it.

Best regards,
    Someone who just got woken up by your impudence to wake my PC up.

:)

FalionBrizingr, Mar 12, 2020

2. Windows wakes up in the middle of the night

Since the Creators update my Windows PC wakes up in the middle of the night.

Before Creators update, I was able to keep my desktop asleep by disabling Wake Timers in Change advanced power settings -> Sleep, and by disabling Automatic Maintenance.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg /waketimers

Timer set by [SERVICE] \Device\HarddiskVolume6\Windows\System32\svchost.exe (SystemEventsBroker) expires at 14:54:06 on 2017-11-15.

Reason: Windows will execute 'NT TASK\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Reboot' scheduled task that requested waking the computer.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

Why does UpdateOrchestrator set a wake timer when wake timers are disabled? How can I prevent my computer from waking me up in the middle of the night?

Wessel Troost, Mar 12, 2020
  3. Windows wakes up in the middle of the night

Hi Summit, the task UpdateOrchestrator -> Reboot is disabled now. Windows will silently re-enable it at some point, so this doesn't prevent Windows from waking up in the middle of the night. Regards, Wessel

Wessel Troost, Mar 12, 2020
  4. Windows Update waking computer in the middle of the night. [I'm pissed off]

Windows 10 Wakes from Sleep in the Middle of the night

Hi,

I realize that Windows 10 wakes up from sleep in the middle of the night. I will try to help you with this issue.

Please answer these questions to get more clarity on this issue:

• Did you make any changes to the PC after which you are facing this issue?

• Have you installed all the pending updates on the PC?

You may run the Power troubleshooter and restart the computer to check if this helps.

• Press “Windows key + X” and click on “Control Panel”.

• Click on “Troubleshooting”.

• Click on “View all” and select “Power”.

Follow the on-screen directions to run this troubleshooter completely. Once this is done, restart the computer and check the status. Ensure to install any pending updates on the computer and remember to restart the system.

Further you may also create a new power plan and check if this helps.

• Press “Windows key + X” and click on “Power Options”.

• Click on “Create a power plan” and proceed with the on screen directions. Once this is done restart the computer and check the status.

Keep us updated to help you further.

Srimadhwa B, Mar 12, 2020
Thema:

Windows Update waking computer in the middle of the night. [I'm pissed off]

1. Windows Update waking computer in the middle of the night. [I'm pissed off] - Similar Threads - Update waking computer

2. Computer turning on in the middle of the night

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer turning on in the middle of the night: My computer is randomly turning on at night, somewhere around 3-5 am. I know it does this when updating and also going into a mode where it looks like it's shut down and you have to press the power button to turn it on but it's actually just asleep. No idea what that's...
  3. Computer turning on in the middle of the night

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer turning on in the middle of the night: My computer is randomly turning on at night, somewhere around 3-5 am. I know it does this when updating and also going into a mode where it looks like it's shut down and you have to press the power button to turn it on but it's actually just asleep. No idea what that's...
  4. Computer turning on in the middle of the night

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. UGH!!!! I'm seriously pissed off rn, not to be a Karen, but.................

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    UGH!!!! I'm seriously pissed off rn, not to be a Karen, but.................: Can y'all PLEASE add an option where you can verify your email????? I'm trying to make an educational account for minecraft: education edition and i don't wanna sound hostile butI'M SO FRUSTRATED you guys should add it for those who have difficult times when trying to make an...
  6. Windows computer turning on in the middle of the night

Windows computer turning on in the middle of the night: Hello. For about 4 months now my Windows computer has turned on in the middle of the night. When I enter powercfg -lastwake, it told me the Power Button turned it on, even though I wasn’t touching it. My computer turns on in the middle of the day, too, and it’s an obnoxious...
  7. PC wakes up in the middle of the night by StartMenuExperienceHost.exe

PC wakes up in the middle of the night by StartMenuExperienceHost.exe: Hi everyone, New windows installation, the PC keeps waking in the middle of the night. I have done all the steps needed like disabling wake up timers in power settings, disabling power management on all devices, etc and everything else that there is on the net. powercfg...
  8. Pissed off

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Pissed off: I bought my PC and it came with windows activation pre installed with windows 10 on an OEM even says it in the system info but for some stupid reason windows will never activate no matter what i do and no i have not had a hardware change. submitted by /u/RogueCrusader5...
  9. Waking in the middle of the night

Waking in the middle of the night: So I built my PC about a year ago and as of recent the thing has been waking in the middle of the night from sleep and just blasting my room full of light. I don't know what is causing it but when i run powercfg -last wake it talks about a systemEventsBroker and...
  10. Laptop wakes from sleep in the middle of the night

Laptop wakes from sleep in the middle of the night: [ATTACH] My battery settings are mostly default, and I noticed that if I leave the notebook in sleep in the night it automatically wakes at some times. This definitely has to do with hibernation, which I changed to 120 and increased the frequency of the wake-ups....