Windows 10: Windows Update (war never changes) 1903 messed my computer up bigtime. Drive letters mixed up.

Discus and support Windows Update (war never changes) 1903 messed my computer up bigtime. Drive letters mixed up. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I hate that Windows is like this. You have no freakin idea what's happening to your PC. I've heard people say Windows Update takes so long to finish bc... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/downrightEsoteric, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Windows Update (war never changes) 1903 messed my computer up bigtime. Drive letters mixed up.

I hate that Windows is like this. You have no freakin idea what's happening to your PC. I've heard people say Windows Update takes so long to finish bc of all its security features and failsafes. Well that is probably BS most of the time. My recovery neither could uninstall the update, nor restore the system, nor troubleshoot. On Linux, if you updated the kernel, and the kernel doesn't boot, at least you know where to start.

Well, ranting aside, I let it download and install 1903. I went outside while it did. 20 minutes I come back inside and see the bios message: No boot device found. Insert boot and press enter. I'm fckd was the first thought that crossed my mind.

On further investigation, all my drive letters are MIXED UP. I know this since I've named them (C) Alpha, (D) Delta, (E) Epsilon (F) Fi (P) Pi and so on. Now I have like (G) Alpha, (P) Epsilon, (F) Delta. Why does Windows do this to me?

I tried at least rearrange C drive with diskpart. I also did chkdsk and it said it did some repairs to my C drive. bootrec did not work (no permissions) I did not really get explained why, but I used bcdboot.

Now, after trying all this stuff 2-3 times. It kindof boots. But on boot I first got the Windows Update screen at 30%. Then it said it could not configure and I should restart installation. After that it reboots to the same screen each time: first the dotty circle loading, then a popup windows that says

The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed. To install Windows, click "OK" to restart the computer, and then restart the installation.

This update was from May this year. Is Windows not supposed to resolve bugs that are found related to it? Does it make any difference waiting with a fresh update? I really appreciate any help!

submitted by /u/downrightEsoteric
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/downrightEsoteric, Nov 6, 2019

2. Windows 10 changing USB port drive letters

Hi Joseph,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing currently.

I would appreciate if you can provide us the following information to help us understand the issue better.

• Since when are you facing this issue?
    • Did you make any changes in prior to this issue?
    I would like to inform you that the issue might have occurred due to some changes made to your computer.

I suggest you to try changing the drive letter of the drive and check if it helps.

Follow the steps to change the drive letter:

• Press Windows + X keys and click on Disk Management.
    • Right click on the external drive and click on Change Drive letter and paths.
    • Click on Change the button.
    • Under Assign the following Drive letter, select the desired drive letter.
    • Click Ok to save changes.
    Hope the information helps. Please let us know if the issue persist and we will be happy to assist you further.

Nachappa C K, Nov 6, 2019
  3. Cannot change drive letter

Hello,

I request you to try the steps below:

• Press "Windows" + "R" on the keyboard.
    • Type "diskmgmt.msc" and press Enter key.
    • Now right click on the drive and select Change drive letter or path.
    • Select the drive and click on Change.
    • Now select the drive letter and click on OK.

If you have any further queries, feel free to contact us. We will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Amit(Kumar), Nov 6, 2019
  4. Lazzer408 Win User

Windows Update (war never changes) 1903 messed my computer up bigtime. Drive letters mixed up.

help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, Nov 6, 2019
Thema:

Windows Update (war never changes) 1903 messed my computer up bigtime. Drive letters mixed up.

1. Windows Update (war never changes) 1903 messed my computer up bigtime. Drive letters mixed up. - Similar Threads - Update war never

2. Update messed my computer up!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Update messed my computer up!: A couple of weeks ago windows did an update. When it did it made the whole system run extremely slow and sluggish. I did the trouble shooter thing and now I can not get to my pictures ,settings, email, microsoft store, pretty much everything. I right click on the start button...
  3. Update messed my computer up!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Update messed my computer up!: A couple of weeks ago windows did an update. When it did it made the whole system run extremely slow and sluggish. I did the trouble shooter thing and now I can not get to my pictures ,settings, email, microsoft store, pretty much everything. I right click on the start button...
  4. windows update messes up my computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows update messes up my computer: Hello,I accidentally hit update and shutdown, and it messes up my computer. My computer keeps shutting down automatically without me knowing why, earlier it restarted 5x in an hour and I'm not happy with it so I revert the upsares, but it won't help. I suddenly realize that...
  5. Update messed up my computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update messed up my computer: After the latest update I woke up to find All but three Desktop icons and all my start menu Icons had disappeared,along with numerous programmes and apps not working, I spent a couple of days trying to rectify the problems, got one or two apps to work, then uninstalled the...
  6. Windows update messed up my computer

Windows update messed up my computer: I updated my computer 12-24-19 and ever since that update i am unable to drag windows such as a google chrome window from one screen to another with my mouse, i cant drag and move the applications on my desktop. I have checked all my drivers, ive cleaned ip my pc, I dont have...
  7. Windows Update 1903 broke my PC big time. All drive letters got mixed up. Windows Update...

Windows Update 1903 broke my PC big time. All drive letters got mixed up. Windows Update...: I hate that Windows is like this. You have no freakin idea what's happening to your PC. I've heard people say Windows Update takes so long to finish bc of all its security features and failsafes. Well that is probably BS most of the time. My recovery neither could uninstall...
  8. windows update messed up my computer

windows update messed up my computer: Windows 10 Home, version 1903, installed 7/19/2019, OS build 18362.239 Lost my video display settings and had to re-install video driver. Lost my audio settings (headphones, external audio amplifier). Took my about an hour to get it thanks to guidance from internet. Can...
  9. Windows 10 Build 1903 Update messed up my computer

Windows 10 Build 1903 Update messed up my computer: Let me tell you my experience and feedback so far for this update. I just installed the May 2019 update. Build 1903. It took 5 hours to install and start up. When it booted up to desktop, few issues i noticed: It removed both of my LAN and wireless network drivers so now i...
  10. update messed up my computer

update messed up my computer: I cannot describe with simple words how much I hate Windows 10, this last updated messed up my computer AGAIN to a degree my whole desktop Disappeared, all my pin apps are not any where I can find, It crashes and restart out of the blue when I am in the middle of call and...