Windows 10: Windows update will not run

Discus and support Windows update will not run in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Windows 10, Version 1809 (build 17763.168) The machine is a smallish, Asus notebook. I has run fine for around nine months, but the other day (after... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by groston, Jun 13, 2020.

1. groston Win User

Windows update will not run

Windows 10, Version 1809 (build 17763.168)

The machine is a smallish, Asus notebook. I has run fine for around nine months, but the other day (after not having been used for a couple of weeks), when I powered it on, it failed to boot. After a number of attempts, I finally got it to boot via Startup Repair. Needless to say, several days later, I had the same problem, but the booting issue now seems to be resolved.

It occurred to me that part of the problem could be out of date software, so I tried both Control Panel->Windows Update and Settings->Update and Security. In both cases, the update window appeared and then went way within a second. Bottom line, I have no idea how to check for updates.

Question: How do you suggest that I resolve this issue so that I can check for updates? Any other suggestions are welcome as are requests for more data.

Thank you.

:)

groston, Jun 13, 2020
  2. 3Colors Win User

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Windows update will not run :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Jun 13, 2020
  3. AsRock Win User
    Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Jun 13, 2020
  4. Anne Ros Win User

unable to run window store and update

Sorry for the late response. If the above steps did not work, let's try another troubleshooting step. You can try the suggestion by Linley Meslier above and see if it will resolve the issue. If not, try resetting Windows Store cache. Follow the steps below:

• Click on Cortana.
    • Type WSreset.exe, then click it.
    • The Store app and a command prompt will open without any messages and it will automatically close when the process is done.
    • Restart the computer.

After doing the steps, try running Windows Store again and see if you can do an update.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Anne Ros, Jun 13, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows update will not run - Similar Threads - update run

2. Windows updating and now my computer will not run

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows updating and now my computer will not run: Hello - my computer automatically updated Windows today and now it won't fully run. Sometimes it won't get past the BIOS screen before freezing, sometimes it will get to my desktop and then provide this pop up before freezing again:I've tried restoring my BIOS settings to...
  3. Windows updating and now my computer will not run

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows updating and now my computer will not run: Hello - my computer automatically updated Windows today and now it won't fully run. Sometimes it won't get past the BIOS screen before freezing, sometimes it will get to my desktop and then provide this pop up before freezing again:I've tried restoring my BIOS settings to...
  4. Windows updating and now my computer will not run

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. I updated the realtek drivers on my laptop running windows 11. Now it won't boot up.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I updated the realtek drivers on my laptop running windows 11. Now it won't boot up.: I updated the realtek drivers on my laptop running Windows 11. When i restarted the computer it wouldn't boot up. I tried to reboot using a backup on a usb drive, but it gives me an error message after a while....
  6. I updated the realtek drivers on my laptop running windows 11. Now it won't boot up.

I updated the realtek drivers on my laptop running windows 11. Now it won't boot up.: I updated the realtek drivers on my laptop running Windows 11. When i restarted the computer it wouldn't boot up. I tried to reboot using a backup on a usb drive, but it gives me an error message after a while....
  7. "We couldn't update the system reserved partition" error when trying to run in-place...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "We couldn't update the system reserved partition" error when trying to run in-place...: Hi,I need help,please.. I'm currently using Windows 11 but I keep getting BSOD crashes when turning on my computer. I tried all the solutions to troubleshoot this but I still couldn't figure out what's causing all these crashes. So today, I decided I'll reinstall Windows 11,...
  8. "We couldn't update the system reserved partition" error when trying to run in-place...

"We couldn't update the system reserved partition" error when trying to run in-place...: Hi,I need help,please.. I'm currently using Windows 11 but I keep getting BSOD crashes when turning on my computer. I tried all the solutions to troubleshoot this but I still couldn't figure out what's causing all these crashes. So today, I decided I'll reinstall Windows 11,...
  9. Can't run Windows Update - 0x80070643

Can't run Windows Update - 0x80070643: Every time I try to run Windows Update, it pops up the error message:"Error Encountered" and tells me to search on 0x80070643. "I've tried numerous fixes I found on the Internet, including extending the WinRE partition, starting/stopping multiple services, scannow, and a DSIM...
  10. Can't run Windows Update - 0x80070643

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't run Windows Update - 0x80070643: Every time I try to run Windows Update, it pops up the error message:"Error Encountered" and tells me to search on 0x80070643. "I've tried numerous fixes I found on the Internet, including extending the WinRE partition, starting/stopping multiple services, scannow, and a DSIM...