Windows 10: windows update wiped my personal files

Discus and support windows update wiped my personal files in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; At midnight today, my windows 10 pro updated to os build 17763.648 When I logged on this morning at 5, all photos, documents and files were gone.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MSaied10, Mar 5, 2019.

1. MSaied10 Win User

windows update wiped my personal files

At midnight today, my windows 10 pro updated to os build 17763.648

When I logged on this morning at 5, all photos, documents and files were gone. All folders empty.

Seems like Windows got reinstalled without keeping any of my important personal files..

I tried a restore point but there was no restore point available.

Please can anyone help. I need my files back. Will Microsoft be held responsible for this?

Please help I am freaking out here..

Thanks in advance.

:)

MSaied10, Mar 5, 2019

2. MP4 Personal Video files lag after August 2016 update (windows 10)

Hi Nicki,

Do not worry we will help you with this issue.

Try few of the troubleshooting steps below and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to run Video playback troubleshooter and check

• Press Windows key from the keyboard, type
      Troubleshooting and select it.
    • Click on view all option on the upper left corner of
      Troubleshooting window.
    • Select the Video playback options from the list.
    • Click Next to run the troubleshooter.

Step 2: I suggest you to copy the files from your computer to another working computer and check if you are able to access them.

This will let us know if the issue is with specific files types on your computer.

Hope it helps. Update of the status of accessing MP4 Personal Video files for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Mar 5, 2019
  3. AsRock Win User
    Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Mar 5, 2019
  4. windows update wiped my personal files

Windows 10 update wiped all personal files (documents and pictures)

Windows 10 update wiped all personal files. I have tried for two hours to find a way round this without success. I do not have backup for last two years. Can you help?

DenisO'Sullivan1, Mar 5, 2019
Thema:

windows update wiped my personal files

1. windows update wiped my personal files - Similar Threads - update wiped personal

2. Win11 update - just wiped my entire drive of all personal files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win11 update - just wiped my entire drive of all personal files: At 1:48pm central, my HP Dragonfly updated to Win11, I did not want it to. Was only trying to get latest audio driver. After first boot, my system was normal, Win10/my background/files present, then it rebooted again and when it got back to desktop, it was Win11 and all my...
  3. Win11 update - just wiped my entire drive of all personal files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win11 update - just wiped my entire drive of all personal files: At 1:48pm central, my HP Dragonfly updated to Win11, I did not want it to. Was only trying to get latest audio driver. After first boot, my system was normal, Win10/my background/files present, then it rebooted again and when it got back to desktop, it was Win11 and all my...
  4. wiped all my files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    wiped all my files: After the restart I noticed that all my files was gone, I tried restarting restarting several times because I thought it's just lagging or it will as move somewhere. Need help, cant find my files....
  5. wiped all my files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    wiped all my files: After the restart I noticed that all my files was gone, I tried restarting restarting several times because I thought it's just lagging or it will as move somewhere. Need help, cant find my files....
  6. windows update wiped my sync.com app and all my files?!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    windows update wiped my sync.com app and all my files?!: Seriously, Microsoft Windows? You're so busy pushing your own cloud data storage platform that you updated windows and wiped my computer of my sync.com account with all, I mean all, my files. This is delaying my productivity for at least 2 hours while all the files have to...
  7. Files & personalization have been sort of wiped.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Files & personalization have been sort of wiped.: When I logged on this morning, it was to find that all of my files had been removed, customizations and cookies had been erased down to the wallpaper. Onedrive was signed out. A little more digging and it seems that all of my applications are still on the computer and that...
  8. wipe personal data

wipe personal data: I upgraded my HP desktop to windows 10 from windows 7. I now wish to give it to a charity but need to wipe my personal data. I have tried going through settings - recovery - reset but the computer was unable to make any changes. Initially it seemed to be working but then...
  9. Windows update causes file wipe

Windows update causes file wipe: I updated a program on my laptop on Tuesday 4/14 which required a system restart. After an unusually long restart followed by an initial login error my user profile was not recognized and a longer system load, I found that all of my documents, pictures and downloaded files...
  10. Windows update wipe out my manifest file in registry

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows update wipe out my manifest file in registry: Why does every windows update wipe out my manifest file in the registry? I have PhotoShop CS6 and a 4k display on my laptop, so I have to use a manifest file to set the screen resolution so I can see the writing. Each update wipes out the line in the registry. Have to put...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows update wiped files

2. windows update has wiped my files

3. windows update wiped out my computer

4. windows 10 update wiped files