Windows 10: Windows update wiped my whole laptop

Discus and support Windows update wiped my whole laptop in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; The latest Windows 10 update seemed to crash while in progress and wiped everything off my laptop including downloaded software (like FL studio) and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Kevin Silv, Oct 1, 2019.

1. Windows update wiped my whole laptop

The latest Windows 10 update seemed to crash while in progress and wiped everything off my laptop including downloaded software (like FL studio) and every file/document. I've tried recovering things using windows.old and data recovery options (like EaseUS) but this hasn't managed to retrieve any files that were on the laptop prior to the update. I'm sensing that I've lost everything (apart from a few aspects that were backed up) but was wondering if anyone else has had this kind of meltdown and whether there's any answer to finding all that data again?

:)

Kevin Silv, Oct 1, 2019
  2. Scrizz Win User

Windows 10

no, you can't go back..
    I suggest creating a backup image of your os drive

Scrizz, Oct 1, 2019
  3. Rose Cal Win User
    W10 wiped my son's laptop

Hi Debbie,

It is possible that your son is unable to open his laptop while updating due to a corrupted or incomplete installation. To assist you better, we'd like to gather more information:

• Is your son, getting an error message when he tried to turn on his laptop?
    • When he tried to open his laptop, are you able to check if the power light stays on?
    • Are you seeing black screen/blank screen when you tried to turn on his laptop?
    • What troubleshooting steps has your son done so far to resolve it?

Meanwhile, if you're seeing a blank screen/black screen, we suggest that you follow the steps in this
    article on how to troubleshoot black screen errors. You can choose which best describes your issue.

Keep us posted if you need additional help.

Rose Cal, Oct 1, 2019
  4. 3Colors Win User

Windows update wiped my whole laptop

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Windows update wiped my whole laptop :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Oct 1, 2019
Thema:

Windows update wiped my whole laptop

1. Windows update wiped my whole laptop - Similar Threads - update wiped whole

2. Laptops Wiping After Updates

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Laptops Wiping After Updates: There seems to be an issue where randomly when our employees have a windows update, after the update finishes, their profile seems to be deleted and recreated. Everything is synced to dropbox so there is no loss of files.There is no temporary profile. We're on a domain and...
  3. windows update that wipes my laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows update that wipes my laptop: I'm hating windows more every day. now it automatically "updates" my laptop, and in the course wipes off all the data and programs. then, when I try to get things back as they were, I'm not allowed any browser but the Edge, named after the musician that tried to massacre...
  4. Will Windows 10 installation wipe my whole hard drive?

Will Windows 10 installation wipe my whole hard drive?: I want to install windows 10 on my hard drive which contains has various ntfs and ext4 partitions. I have created a separate ntfs partition for installing windows. But I'm concerned that installing windows might format my other partitions. Thanks in advance....
  5. Wiping my laptop

Wiping my laptop: I have a hp laptop with windows 10, and need to reset it and remove my files before I give it away. However, when I try to reset it in the Recovery settings, there is an error message. I also tried to follow a method to use DBAN and reboot from a USB, but no matter how many...
  6. windows update wiped my data from my laptop

windows update wiped my data from my laptop: My laptop was updated and all of my data, apps and information was wiped. I am a student and 7 months worth of university work gone!! Why has it done this? It has not only happened once but three times now!! Why? And it did this without asking. I cannot rely on my laptop...
  7. Laptop wiped after windows 10 update

Laptop wiped after windows 10 update: How do I restore windows to my laptop from a usb stick? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/laptop-wiped-after-windows-10-update/49322ce5-6e5c-400f-8a22-10f35d1e6c28
  8. windows 10 update wiped laptop clean

windows 10 update wiped laptop clean: how is it that your latest window 10 update can totally wipe all my documents, data ,photos, videos, even stuff stored in the cloud?? after quick research it appears this has been happening since 2017 and still in 2019. Also why did my system revert to US. format I pay a lot...
  9. Automatic Update Completely Wiped My Laptop

Automatic Update Completely Wiped My Laptop: Last night, there was an automatic update on my laptop. When I woke up this morning, there was a message informing me that I needed to install an operating system. Which should not be the case, because I ALREADY HAD WINDOWS 10. After that message, my computer attempted to...
  10. UEFI newbie: How to wipe the whole disk?

UEFI newbie: How to wipe the whole disk?: Hi geeks. I am a total UEFI n00b, only having one PC with it all others being legacy BIOS systems. I know my way around BIOS and have now familiarized myself with UEFI settings, I think that in settings and how to change them / what they do I do not need help. My...