Windows 10: Windows Update wiped PC; system restore failed to initialize

Discus and support Windows Update wiped PC; system restore failed to initialize in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am writing this on the behalf of my father who is not tech-literate My father called me this morning saying that his PC Asus, probably from 7-8... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Pink_Cow_Milk, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Windows Update wiped PC; system restore failed to initialize

I am writing this on the behalf of my father who is not tech-literate

My father called me this morning saying that his PC Asus, probably from 7-8 years ago updated overnight without him prompting it to do so. He said that this morning when he went to go on the PC, everything was wiped and the PC was basically a clean slate.

He looked up how to possibly recover the files and found that he could do System Restore. However, when he tries to start up System Restore, it keeps telling him "System Restore Failed to Initialize".

He is rather distraught as it is his work PC plus has many memorable photos and videos that are not on any other device I have told him now that he should have an external hard drive that is a copy of everything.

I do not know what version he updated to- he says he cannot access that now. I am 1,000's of miles away so I do not have direct access to the PC.

Thanks for reading!

:)

Pink_Cow_Milk, Oct 18, 2020

2. bl initialize library failed 0xc0000bb

Let's try to use system restore instead. Follow the steps below:

• Start your desktop, and after the manufacturers logo disappears and Windows 10 tries to boot, press and hold the power button for 5-10 seconds to perform a hard shut
      down.

• Do the step #1 until you see the Windows logo screen or Please wait during boot. (You
      may need to perform this up to 3 times.)

• After Windows 10 boots into the Windows 10 Recovery Environment (WinRE), you can now access Startup
      Recovery, Safe Mode, and Command Prompt.

• Go to Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > System Restore,
      and then check if you have a restore point.

• In the list of available restore points, choose the date prior to the issue. Steps can be found in this article on
      how to perform a System Restore. Refer to Restore from a system restore point.

If the steps above fails, we suggest that you boot your computer in Safe Mode (while in the Recovery Environment) and see if it helps. Follow the steps below on how
    to boot in Safe Mode:

• Go to Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Startup Settings and click Restart.

• Upon restart, click/press 4 to boot into Safe Mode.

If Safe Mode does not work, we may need to Reset your computer. Follow the steps below:

• Go to Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Reset this PC.

• Choose to keep all your files and applications. This will re-install Windows 10 whilst keeping your data and applications.

Update us after you perform the steps.

Radney Dri, Oct 18, 2020
  3. Mark Isi Win User
    Failed to complete System Restore

Hello Passegua,

The error code 0x80070005 may indicate a few things that are causing System Restore Failure. It could be corrupted system files, conflict with other programs such as Anti-virus protection, and etc. As a first troubleshooting step, we suggest
    that you perform System restore in Safe Mode. Kindly refer to this link for more information and steps.

Another step that I can suggest is Clean Boot, if the above step fails.

Let us know the outcome.

Mark Isi, Oct 18, 2020
  4. Windows Update wiped PC; system restore failed to initialize

System restore failed to extract the file (C:\Windows\SysWOW64\mfnetcore.dll) from the restore point

Hi,

There are different factors that can contribute as to why you're not able to successfully perform a system restore. This could be caused by a recent update that was installed or system files that got corrupted. For us to resolve your concern, kindly answer
    the questions below:

• We would like to confirm if the error message that you received also contained an error code?
    • Since you mentioned you checked for any any updates, were there any installed prior to the issue occurring?
    • Have you attempted any other troubleshooting steps?

As a initial recommendation, we suggest that you follow the steps to run your computer in safe mode that is available through this

link
    . This starts Windows in a basic state, using a limited set of files and drivers. Once inside safe mode try to run system restore again.

We look forward to your response to our queries.

Jordan Dom, Oct 18, 2020
Thema:

Windows Update wiped PC; system restore failed to initialize

1. Windows Update wiped PC; system restore failed to initialize - Similar Threads - Update wiped system

2. System configuration failed to initialize

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System configuration failed to initialize: Hello I just want to ask if how to handle this problem on application , when entering the application there will a sudden message will pop-out. This is " Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click continue. The application will ignore this error and...
  3. System configuration failed to initialize

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System configuration failed to initialize: Hello I just want to ask if how to handle this problem on application , when entering the application there will a sudden message will pop-out. This is " Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click continue. The application will ignore this error and...
  4. System Restore Failed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Restore Failed: In the morning i performed a windowsblootware command it created a system restore after that i wanted to go in the previous state i tried alot but it shows system restore didn't complete successfully and any of system restore isnt working i dont want to reboot the pc as it...
  5. The restore system fails.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The restore system fails.: When I try to restore my system to a preview, the system starts the restore process, when I login again to finish the restore process, I get this error https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-restore-system-fails/dd5edb02-bdfc-480c-b89d-dd5d81495d1e
  6. The restore system fails.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    The restore system fails.: When I try to restore my system to a preview, the system starts the restore process, when I login again to finish the restore process, I get this error https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-restore-system-fails/dd5edb02-bdfc-480c-b89d-dd5d81495d1e
  7. Windows update wiped system

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows update wiped system: I'm currently working on someone's computer and it looks like there was a Windows update that went wrong. When the computer was turned on it started the automatic repair which didn't succeed then came to the recovery page. I tried to run a system restore, but no restore...
  8. System restore failing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System restore failing: Im running the latest version of Windows 10 and whenever I try to do a system restore I get this error: “System Restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files and Settings were not changed. Details: System Restore failed to extract the original copy of...
  9. Configuration system failed to initialize

Configuration system failed to initialize: When i turned on my laptop message would appear; Another instance is running. Configuration system failed to initialize. I don't know if it has anything to do with this but this message started showing up after ive rebooted my laptop because my brightness feature wasn't...
  10. Configuration System Failed to Initialize

Configuration System Failed to Initialize: After downloading to latest Windows 10 Upgrade Releasea few weeks ago, I get this message: "Configuration System Failed to Initialize". It won't go away. Someone in the Windows Community suggested a "Clean Boot" of the computer. I am very concerned that if I do a clean...