Windows 10: Windows Update won't clear after Update runs.

Discus and support Windows Update won't clear after Update runs. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My system keeps showing 'Update and Restart' and 'Update and Shutdown' even after runningthe update process and it runs update process on shutdown even... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Kempec, Jul 29, 2021.

1. Kempec Win User

Windows Update won't clear after Update runs.

My system keeps showing 'Update and Restart' and 'Update and Shutdown' even after runningthe update process and it runs update process on shutdown even though there is visibly nothing to update. There is nothing in SoftwareDistribution folder, the catroot2 folder has been cleared, and it does not show the notification to restart to install updates. System is on Wiindows 10 1909. Yes, I know 1909 is at end of service. I tried installing 2004 and the system rolled back the install at boot saying there was some kind of boot timeout. I have researched and installed all the registry entries involv

:)

Kempec, Jul 29, 2021
  2. Tenforo Active Member

Windows updates won't install!

I had the same problem when i repaired my O/S, i forgot the steps on how to fixed it, but it is in the microsoft support forum.

You have to reinstall the windows updater, then restart the updating service.

edit: Found it...http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

Tenforo, Jul 29, 2021
  3. Tenforo Active Member
    Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

Tenforo, Jul 29, 2021
  4. Tenforo Active Member

Windows updates won't install!

I'll check that out.

I had read that. However the problem MS is addressing there is when the update client files of the pc don't recognise that the pc is not updated and hence don't download the updates. My updates download fine. In fact I'm even getting downloaded updates which I do not need (win2000, vista, server...) The problem is getting the correct updates installed...

For example, I'm getting KB933729 in my list. That's for Vista!

Tenforo, Jul 29, 2021
Thema:

1. Windows Update won't clear after Update runs. - Similar Threads - Update won't clear

2. Why won't windows update storage after clearing a load?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why won't windows update storage after clearing a load?: My machine has been running slowly so I cleared a load of files to free up some space, however when I go into the storage settings and 'Other' it still shows the same amount as before even though when I click into it the files listed are all small now.Same applies to 'Mail'...
  3. Why won't windows update storage after clearing a load?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why won't windows update storage after clearing a load?: My machine has been running slowly so I cleared a load of files to free up some space, however when I go into the storage settings and 'Other' it still shows the same amount as before even though when I click into it the files listed are all small now.Same applies to 'Mail'...
  4. Windows Update won't run

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Update won't run: I have had the automatic update with notification to me first on for a long time and it has worked flawlessly for a long time. Recently I realized that I had not been notified of an update for a long time. When I go to Settings/Update & Security I get a message saying:...
  5. Windows Update won't run

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Update won't run: I have had the automatic update with notification to me first on for a long time and it has worked flawlessly for a long time. Recently I realized that I had not been notified of an update for a long time. When I go to Settings/Update & Security I get a message saying:...
  6. Windows Update won't run

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. windows update won't run

windows update won't run: Windows won't run - I've tried all of things that Window advisor has recommended. I've run: >sfc /scannow Beginning system scan. This process will take some time. Beginning verification phase of system scan. Verification 15% complete. Windows Resource Protection found...
  8. Windows update cleanup not clearing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows update cleanup not clearing: I installed the latest cumulative update for Windows 10 2004. When I go to storage to cleanup Windows update cleanup, it cleaned up but not completely. It didn't say 0 bytes like before. I think this is a bug in 2004. I created a test user account but issue didn't get...
  9. Windows update settings won't open after running troubleshooter

Windows update settings won't open after running troubleshooter: I got error 0x8024a105 after trying to manually update my system. The suggestions over atthis thread mentioned running the troubleshooter to see if anything changed. After doing just that, I'm now unable to even open the windows updates page in Settings. If I click on the...
  10. Run clear

in Windows 10 Customization
    Run clear: In my Windows from start menu run history automatically clearing. How to stop removing this history from run menu. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/run-clear/8dee0f68-3bc5-485a-80ed-c3f3007b8e8e