Windows 10: Windows Update

Discus and support Windows Update in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi All, I have a laptop that will not update and hasn't since October last year (the big fall update 8gb). The problem I have is the laptop doesn't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by mremixer, Sep 9, 2018.

1. mremixer Win User

Windows Update

Hi All,

I have a laptop that will not update and hasn't since October last year (the big fall update 8gb).

The problem I have is the laptop doesn't have 8gb free, can't get 8 gb free! So after a while the update suddenly started offering to download yo USB, yay I thought no more of the annoying you need to update notifications.

Well that didn't work I have 6 USB sticks all 32gb & 64gb yet it won't download to any of them, even after formatting & emptying them.

I did ask a while back & it was suggested to grab the ISO version & burn it, problem is I don't have a burner anymore (kinda surplus to requirements these days).

So I've gone out & bought a new laptop with a bigger hard drive, better specs all round really, so the older one (not even had it 2 years yet) is being relegated,.

So now if I can't update it is there anyway of switching off the updates etc?

I'd rather update it tbh but as the downloads so big & I have exhausted everything I can do I see no other way now.

Cheers in advance

:)

mremixer, Sep 9, 2018
  2. 3Colors Win User

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Windows Update :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Sep 9, 2018
  3. AsRock Win User
    Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Sep 9, 2018
  4. Windows Update

windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Sep 9, 2018
Thema:

Windows Update

1. Windows Update - Similar Threads - Update

2. SCREEN LOCKED ON PLEASE WAIT AFTER UPDATE RUN

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    SCREEN LOCKED ON PLEASE WAIT AFTER UPDATE RUN: LENOVO LAPTOP/WINDOWS 10. RAN UPDATE RESTARTED AND IT SAID I NEEDED A PIN#.TRIED TO GET PIN CODE SO I COULD CHANGE IT AND IT SAID IT WOULD SEND ME A CODE AT MY EMAIL. CAN NOT RECEIVE EMAIL IF I CAN NOT GET ON THE COMPUTER. TRIED TO X OUT AN SHUT DOWN . WILL NOT DO SO. TRIED...
  3. WONT UPDATE? CODE: 0x80073712

WONT UPDATE? CODE: 0x80073712: So I have been trying to update my pc for a hot minute and cant seem to do so. I always get the code: 0x80073712, and that "some update files are missing or have problems" I have looked up the problem multiple times and have tried every way to fix the problem but nothing...
  4. Disabled Startup type in Windows Update properties

Disabled Startup type in Windows Update properties: Does anybody know how to enable Startup type in Windows update properties? It disabled for no reason and I need help to make things as they use to be....
  5. System reset after failed Windows Update Jan 2019

System reset after failed Windows Update Jan 2019: My PC attempted to install an update about a week ago, but got stuck halfway through and gave me a black screen. After letting it sit overnight, I manually powered down and restarted it. Subsequent startups got to login screen, enter pw, then setup.exe unexpected hard...
  6. Xbox One Preview Alpha & Skip Ahead System Update 190115-1920 Jan. 18

in Windows 10 News
    Xbox One Preview Alpha & Skip Ahead System Update 190115-1920 Jan. 18: Starting at 2:00 p.m. PST today, members of the Xbox One Preview Skip Ahead and Preview Alpha Rings will begin receiving the latest 1904 Xbox One system update (19h1_release_xbox_dev_1904.190115-1920). Read on for more about the fixes and known issues in the latest 1904...
  7. Xbox One Preview Beta Ring 1902 System Update 190115-1920 - Jan. 18

in Windows 10 News
    Xbox One Preview Beta Ring 1902 System Update 190115-1920 - Jan. 18: Starting at 2:00 p.m. PST today, members of the Xbox One Preview Beta Ring will begin receiving a new 1902 Xbox One system update (rs5_release_xbox_dev_1902.190115-1920). Read on for more about the fixes and known issues in the latest 1902 system update. Fixes: My Games and...
  8. Cumulative Update KB4476976 Windows 10 v1809 RP Build 17763.292 Jan.18

in Windows 10 News
    Cumulative Update KB4476976 Windows 10 v1809 RP Build 17763.292 Jan.18: Microsoft has released a new Cumulative Update KB4476976 version for Windows 10 version 1809 build 17763.288 to Windows Insiders in the Release Preview ring. Release notes are not yet available from Microsoft, but this post will be updated if/when available. [img] [img]...
  9. Desktop stuck at logo in boot after January 2019 update today

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Desktop stuck at logo in boot after January 2019 update today: The update is for Windows 10. Any thoughts on a fix? Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-stuck-at-logo-in-boot-after-january-2019/69ec04c2-71c2-40bd-8dde-13916c8c4735
  10. 01-18-2019 -- Windows 10 Pro Update (KB4203057)(Error Code: 0x80246010)

01-18-2019 -- Windows 10 Pro Update (KB4203057)(Error Code: 0x80246010): [ATTACH][ATTACH] Have tried to update the Subject MS KB4023057 some 6 times this far and it has failed 6 times. I have tried ALL the posted ways (both MS & Community) to "repair" and they have ALL failed. I have tried to uninstall the 12-15-2018 update (KB4023057), but...