Windows 10: Windows updated to a fresh install, wiped all data from attached drives

Discus and support Windows updated to a fresh install, wiped all data from attached drives in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Last Friday, now Wednesday I was working on my machine, looked away then I noticed windows at a 24% install. Hmm. When I let it finish, Cortana started... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by JS_1870, Jun 22, 2022.

1. JS_1870 Win User

Windows updated to a fresh install, wiped all data from attached drives

Last Friday, now Wednesday I was working on my machine, looked away then I noticed windows at a 24% install. Hmm. When I let it finish, Cortana started asking all the new install questions which really made me start to worry. Sure enough after clicking through, with no option to go back, I discovered my C: had a brand-spanking-new-fresh install of window and NONE of my data was there. This is includes photos and all of my personal data on my D: and E: drives. 2TB, All gone.First question: Why and how could this happen without my expressed approval?Second, was this a virus? I'm not awar

:)

JS_1870, Jun 22, 2022
  2. newtekie1 Win User

Windows 7 update help needed

They've changed that with Vista and Win7, it now looks on the hard drive for a qualifying previous OS and won't accept just the CD.

However, as I said, booting from the Upgrade disc still lets you wipe the drive clean and do a fresh install.

newtekie1, Jun 22, 2022
  3. more123 Win User
    Fresh windows install help.

Hi.
    I have Samsung Series 7 NP7005ZA-S0AUS laptop pc. I decided to do a fresh windows install so I used a flash drive to re-install windows (I formatted the hard drive at the begnining of the installation). When the laptop booted first time in the installation process, I got a screen saying boot menu but it's empty. I clicked alt+ctl+de, the laptop restarts and gets me back to the same screen. I entered the bios and made sure the hd is on the top of the list and save/restarted but same issue. I tried loading bios default settings and that did not help either. I noticed in the boot menu that there are exclamation marks next to the HD and the SATA DVD drives, not sure what that means but they were not there before. I honestly think a bios update can do the trick but there is no way to upgrade the bios of a samsung laptop without Windows like my case so I am stuck.
    Any help will be very much appreciated.
    Notice: The hard drive has 8GB msata built in.

more123, Jun 22, 2022
  4. Windows updated to a fresh install, wiped all data from attached drives

Windows 7 wont install drivers

+1

If you having an issue installing a driver that worked before you formatted or wont install on a fresh build, sometimes this means hardware damage

brandonwh64, Jun 22, 2022
Thema:

Windows updated to a fresh install, wiped all data from attached drives

1. Windows updated to a fresh install, wiped all data from attached drives - Similar Threads - updated fresh install

2. Does windows format upon fresh installation properly wipe data on SSD?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Does windows format upon fresh installation properly wipe data on SSD?: If I re-install fresh windows 10 on a previously used SSD, the windows installer will format the SSD I understand. However, will the data that was on there be securely erased by this procedure? I cannot manage to format the SSD beforehand, because it is locked. Can still...
  3. Does windows format upon fresh installation properly wipe data on SSD?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Does windows format upon fresh installation properly wipe data on SSD?: If I re-install fresh windows 10 on a previously used SSD, the windows installer will format the SSD I understand. However, will the data that was on there be securely erased by this procedure? I cannot manage to format the SSD beforehand, because it is locked. Can still...
  4. Windows updated to a fresh install, wiped all data from attached drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows updated to a fresh install, wiped all data from attached drives: Last Friday, now Wednesday I was working on my machine, looked away then I noticed windows at a 24% install. Hmm. When I let it finish, Cortana started asking all the new install questions which really made me start to worry. Sure enough after clicking through, with no option...
  5. Windows updated to a fresh install, wiped all data from attached drives

Windows updated to a fresh install, wiped all data from attached drives: Last Friday, now Wednesday I was working on my machine, looked away then I noticed windows at a 24% install. Hmm. When I let it finish, Cortana started asking all the new install questions which really made me start to worry. Sure enough after clicking through, with no option...
  6. Completely wipe all One Drive Data

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Completely wipe all One Drive Data: HelloGot a users who's One Drive Sync got a little messed up. He's got duplicates everywhere. Not sure how it happened.All his data has been backed up and sanitized on a network drive.I want completely remove all data from One drive Cloud and PC so I can restore the correct...
  7. Completely wipe all One Drive Data

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Completely wipe all One Drive Data: HelloGot a users who's One Drive Sync got a little messed up. He's got duplicates everywhere. Not sure how it happened.All his data has been backed up and sanitized on a network drive.I want completely remove all data from One drive Cloud and PC so I can restore the correct...
  8. Completely wipe all One Drive Data

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  9. Storage Drive Wiped after Fresh Install

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Storage Drive Wiped after Fresh Install: FIrst post here guys. So I just done a fresh w10 install from an old one as it had been a while and was slowing down alot. So i done my fresh install. Huge noob mistake that I didnt disconnect my storage drive (3tb sata). Now in my computer I saw my other storage drives, but...
  10. Fresh Win10 install onto a wiped wiped hard drive

Fresh Win10 install onto a wiped wiped hard drive: My friend has an AIO desktop computer that came with Win 8 and updated to 8.1 and finally Windows 10. She had many problems with Windows 10 and her daughter wiped the hard drive clean and the computer has been sitting there doing nothing since Dec 2016 I suspect she can...