Windows 10: Windows Updates and Windows Defender updates?

Discus and support Windows Updates and Windows Defender updates? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Is there a policy setting in Group Policy where I can set Windows Defender to update its malware definitions automatically without relying on the use... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by win10freak, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Windows Updates and Windows Defender updates?

Is there a policy setting in Group Policy where I can set Windows Defender to update its malware definitions automatically without relying on the use of Windows Updates?

I set Windows Updates to Notify for Download but the thing is, that Windows Defender updates keeps notifying me every day of new Defender updates and its annoying.

Is there any possibility to do this?

And what about you guys here?
    How do you set your Windows Updates?
    Is it set to Automatic or always Notify?

Thanks

:)

win10freak, Sep 14, 2016
  2. Chasst Win User

Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB2267602 (Definition 1.213.5087.0) - Error 0x80070643

Yes I understand that Windows Defender will not run if another AV program is installed (in this case Norton 360) but then why does Windows Update keep trying and failing to install Defender updates, when Windows Defender is not running?

I uninstalled Norton 360, ran Windows Defender and downloaded updates for it. Then ran Windows Update and it worked fine, didn't report any Windows Defender updates. I then reinstalled Norton 360 and Windows Defender correctly is turned off.

But again Windows Update tries to install Windows Defender updates and fails: "Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB2267602 (Definition 1.213.5520.0) - Error 0x80070643es. This is a Windows Update bug introduced last month, probably in the cumulative
    update for January 2016. Is there any way to fix it?

Chasst, Sep 14, 2016
  3. PC not updating

Try update windows defender using windows defender and then go to updates. Or disable windows defender and check for updates , then enable windows defender and update again.

OctavianQR, Sep 14, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Windows Updates and Windows Defender updates?

Hi, this might point you in the direction of sthg you could try as an experiment:
    Solved Windows Defender Updates Without Windows Update Service
    http://www.eightforums.com/system-security/42344-auto-update-windows-defender.html

Updating Defender automatically without automatic downloads | Windows Secrets Lounge

Picture by picture guide:
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/update...dates-disabled

Beyond that, you can always update manually.

( I did a web search for:
    automatically update defender without "windows update"
    )

dalchina, Sep 14, 2016
  5. It works!

Now, I set the task to run every day at 15:00, but I usually have my machine turned OFF by that time.
    Will the task run even after this specific timeframe or what will happen?
    Because I do not want to leave my machine ON the whole entire day.

Will the task repeat itself?

There is a setting called Reoccur Every 1 Day, does that mean it will catch up and then run the task after I turn ON my system?

So in general, what happens if a task is missed because the machine was turned off at around 15:00?
    Will the next task run right after boot up again as it should detect that the task was missed at this timeframe?

Please explain.

Thanks a lot.

win10freak, Sep 14, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Good. How the task runs after that depends on how you configure the task. Have a close look at the options and advanced options.

You could always arrange it to launch, say, Wordpad, just for test purposes.

dalchina, Sep 15, 2016
  7. Maybe someone out here would know or I can search on Google

win10freak, Sep 15, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Sep 15, 2016
  9. Ok got it
    Under Settings there is an option to run the task immediately if missed.
    I think I am set now. Thanks.

win10freak, Sep 15, 2016
  10. Just an update here.

The Defender Task updates seem to work very well, however, I am still getting notified as per my print screen at the same time...This is ridiculous! I had set my Task to Daily at 15:00 and even selected if a task is missed, then it would still go back and fetch the task. Done all this, but at the same time, I am getting notified and its annoying.
    What setting here that needs attention in the Task Scheduler that I might be missing here?

In the meantime, I set the task to run at Logon only and repeat task every 1 hour.

Thanks

win10freak, Sep 17, 2016
  11. dalchina New Member
    Hi, I've just set up a scheduled task with the command
    "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MpCmdRun.exe" -SignatureUpdate -MMPC

This flashes an empty window frame very briefly. (-MMPC) rather than displaying a command prompt box.

Also tried a bat file but with this even @echo off didn't suppress the command box.

Nothing by way of a notification.

More here:
    http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/sc...an-windows-10/

dalchina, Sep 17, 2016
  12. Here are my settings and is worth keeping an eye on for the next several days on ahead.
    Task Scheduler settings:
    Start the Task: On System Startup
    Repeat Task Every 1 hour

"C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe"
    -Update -hide

This argument above actually starts the Windows Defender GUI but is always hidden and runs only in the notification area so no windows popup each time.

Like I posted before, I still get the Windows Defender notify for Download notification. Hopefully with the changed settings above will do the trick or should do the trick.

win10freak, Sep 17, 2016
  13. Windows Updates and Windows Defender updates?

The following VBScript does the trick.
    Code: set objShell = createobject("wscript.shell") objShell.Run("""C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MpCmdRun.exe"" ""-SignatureUpdate""") , 0[/quote]

Matthew Wai, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Updates and Windows Defender updates? - Similar Threads - Updates Defender updates

2. Windows Defender Updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Defender Updates: I am running WIndows 10, Edition Windows 10 Pro Version 21H1 Installed on ‎2021-‎03-‎24 OS build 19043.1055 Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.2020.0 For the past month or two, I get a daily notification to update my Windows Defender definitions.I would...
  3. Windows Defender Update

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender Update: I have an error message saying my Windows Defender definitions are out of date and advising me to update. I click on the update link, but it only sits in a wait state for a few minutes before giving me this: [ATTACH] What does this error code mean, and how do I work...
  4. windows update and windows defender not updating

windows update and windows defender not updating: i had recently posted about this and i used troubleshoot and it solved it but when i try updating again it doesn't do anything then i try troubleshoot and it fixes something and it seems i need to keep doing this but now my updating are doing anything at all, could this be a...
  5. Windows Defender update

Windows Defender update: Windows Defender reports: "The virus and spyware definitions didn't update...because of an internet or network connectivity problem." every time I try to update it. For several weeks now. So a few days ago I contacted Microsoft support and they re-installed Windows. And...
  6. WINDOWS DEFENDER UPDATE

WINDOWS DEFENDER UPDATE: Trying to update my Windows Defender keep getting messages that virus and spyware definitions cannot be updated, Check Internet or Network connections. Did that . they are fine, but I cannot update still. Help please...
  7. UPDATE WINDOWS DEFENDER

UPDATE WINDOWS DEFENDER: how to update windows defender https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/update-windows-defender/556eaa1d-6f8e-4357-945c-8c8328bb9070
  8. Windows Defender update.

Windows Defender update.: i try to update my window defender but after half downloading it shows "virus and spyware definitions couldn't be updated." https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-update/fd6bdacc-cdf2-40fd-9314-521f0c25a891
  9. Windows Defender update.

Windows Defender update.: i try to update my window defender but after half downloading it shows "virus and spyware definitions couldn't be updated." https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_defender-protect_updating-windows_10/windows-defender-update/fd6bdacc-cdf2-40fd-9314-521f0c25a891
  10. Windows Defender update

Windows Defender update: Why does it take so long to update latest versions and its takes the data without downloading completely?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_defender-protect_updating-windows_10/windows-defender-update/3a54c92f-238b-4df9-a1ef-7a9f3e210e88