Windows 10: Windows updates change my settings

Discus and support Windows updates change my settings in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have Windows 10 Pro Version 20H2. This morning I unpaused the Windows update setting and installed the updates from last month. Windows said to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by BobSt, May 9, 2021.

1. BobSt Win User

Windows updates change my settings

I have Windows 10 Pro Version 20H2. This morning I unpaused the Windows update setting and installed the updates from last month. Windows said to reboot in order to complete the installation, so I did, but after the screen went black the computer stalled. To my uneducated eye, it was the same as though I had put the computer into hibernation: the screen stayed black and the power button was dimmed. No sound to suggest that anything was going on. However, I couldn't start things again. I let the computer sit for well over half an hour, to ensure that I wasn't interfering with something going on in the background, and then finally shut it down by pressing and holding the power button. After awhile I started up again. The updates then installed, I logged in, and went back into the Windows update setting in order see what there was to see. It said that I was up to date, but in red lettering at the top there was a notice that hadn't been there before: "Some settings are managed by your organization." Under that, a blue link stated "View configured update policies." I clicked on the link, and, instead of showing me a "view" of "configured update policies," it gave me an "explanation" of why I was seeing the message, but with nothing said about why it had appeared in my particular case or what I should do about it. (See attachments.) Although I have only a hazy memory of the details, I encountered something similar to this (but not related to a Windows update setting) shortly after I first got a Windows 10 computer over a year ago: I couldn't change some setting or another because, Windows told me, the setting was managed by "my organization," although I was (and still am) the only user of my own machine. That time the problem was solved when someone led me by the hand into the Group Policy Editor and had me either enable or disable something or another. (I'm able to follow such instructions by rote, but have no capacity to figure things out on my own.) Perhaps the same sort of thing is involved here, but that's only a guess, and I'm not inclined to head into the Group Policy Editor without knowing what I'm doing. Right now I only know that, based on the the message, it seems that some settings that formerly were within my control no longer are, because, as the result of the recent Windows updates, they are now being controlled by some "organization" or another (the Illuminati? the Rosecrucians?). Could someone please explain what that notice is about and what, if anything, I can/should do to regain control over Windows updates or whatever settings that message is talking about? Thanks.

:)

BobSt, May 9, 2021
  2. jbailey8 Win User

HyperSLI (Enabling SLI on non-sli motherboards)

To turn off windows updates in windows 7 follow these steps:

Click the start button, in the search box type in 'windows updates', click on 'windows update'
    in the search results list, in the left side of the windows update window click 'change settings'
    then in the option bar select 'Never check for updates'.

jbailey8, May 9, 2021
  3. 95Viper Win User
    Windows 8.1 update changed the language, can't change back

Maybe, these will help... it seems it is a common enough problem.

Language packs are no longer available after you upgrade to Windows 8.1

And, sort of the same here --> Add a language or keyboard

Quote from above MS web page:

Spoiler Download and install language packs
    You'll need to download the language pack if you want to make a language your Windows display language (that's the language you see most often in Windows and apps).
    • Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings.
      (If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, click Settings, and then click Change PC settings.)
    • Tap or click Time and language, and then tap or click Region and language.
    • Tap or click a language that says Language pack available underneath, and then tap or click Options.
    • Tap or click Download. The download process might take a while, depending on your PC and the size of the language pack.
      If you want to make this your display language, see the next section "Change your Windows display language".
    Change your Windows display language
    To change your Windows display language (that's the language you see most often in Windows and apps), first add a language, download and install the language pack, and then follow these steps.
    • Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings.
      (If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, click Settings, and then click Change PC settings.)
    • Tap or click Time and language, and then tap or click Region and language.
    • Tap or click the language that you want to set as your display language.
    • Tap or click Set as primary to move the language to the top of the list. If the language can become your Windows display language, you'll see Will be display language after next sign-in appear under the language.
    • Sign out and then sign back in to finish.
    And here is some more info --> Add Language Packs to Windows

95Viper, May 9, 2021
  4. Sasqui Win User

Overclocking / Undervolting guide for Vega 56 or 64?

Here's a quick laundry list:

List of software to use for overclocking and testing
    Examples:
    Wattman (and how to find and use it, like an overview, including profiles)
    Unigine Valley or Heaven (use this for quick testing while changing settings in Wattman and checking for stability / artifacts) ...just suggesting this
    How to monitor cores / mem speeds and temps during testing (I've seen screen overlays, and others using GPUz)

Step-by step overclocking in Wattman
    Fan speeds
    Power limit
    Temp limit
    Voltages
    Core speeds
    Memory speeds

Sasqui, May 9, 2021
Thema:

1. Windows updates change my settings - Similar Threads - updates change settings

2. Windows Updates Keeps Changing my settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Updates Keeps Changing my settings: Please help me. Each time Windows makes an update, I lose all of my settings and desktop files. In addition, my taskbar items are deleted and replaced with Microsoft Edge, Microsoft Store, etc. What can I do to prevent this from happening? I have paused updates but when it...
  3. Windows Updates Keeps Changing my settings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Updates Keeps Changing my settings: Please help me. Each time Windows makes an update, I lose all of my settings and desktop files. In addition, my taskbar items are deleted and replaced with Microsoft Edge, Microsoft Store, etc. What can I do to prevent this from happening? I have paused updates but when it...
  4. Windows Updates Keeps Changing my settings

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Asking how to change my Windows Updates settings

Asking how to change my Windows Updates settings: Hi. Recently, I had to purchase & start using a new laptop computer sometime in October 2020. On my new laptop computer, I receive Windows updates anytime during the day & when I choose to install them, I then need to restart my computer. I’m aware that I can schedule a time...
  6. Updates changing my settings

Updates changing my settings: Only had my Lenovo laptop for 6 months and every time windows updates I lose all my desktop settings and the first time it did it, there was a temporary user installed. None of the options and pre-installed programs on start work. When I click on them nothing happens except...
  7. updates changing settings

updates changing settings: Is there a way to get the updates without completely resetting all of the settings on my computer? Cortana is irredeemable. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/updates-changing-settings/17e9ab32-37ec-45f8-ae10-4d9300a8bf2e
  8. Windows Updates changes network settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Updates changes network settings: Finally fed up with having to reset everything after Windows updates. Been a Windows user since 1995, but I've had it. Going to Linux. You guys at Microsoft will start losing market share sooner or later if you keep making people's lives more difficult....
  9. Change Windows Update Settings

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Change Windows Update Settings: Is it possible with windows 10 (like windows 7) where I can change the Windows Update Settings so I get notified if there are new updates available and download them, rather than Windows just downloading and installing the updates? So if there was an update I didn't want...
  10. cannot change windows update settings

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    cannot change windows update settings: I tried to change the windows update settings and I can’t!!!!! I get a message saying that some settings are managed by my system administrator!!!!! I am the only user in this laptop with administrator privileges… How comes that I can’t change the settings? 2483