Windows 10: Windows updates = deeply unpleasant experience at the best of times

Discus and support Windows updates = deeply unpleasant experience at the best of times in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Truly Windows updates are the most unpleasant experience aboutowning a PC. I’ve just lost nearly an hour for nothing - the WindowsUpdate did not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by andytheo080, Apr 14, 2021.

1. Windows updates = deeply unpleasant experience at the best of times

Truly Windows updates are the most unpleasant experience aboutowning a PC.

I’ve just lost nearly an hour for nothing - the WindowsUpdate did not work.

However it occurred to me that even if Windows Updates wereworking fine, there are many aspects of the entire process that seemed to havebeen designed to irrirate users. Here’s a selection of some that come to mind:

--1--

When I tell you that my active hours are 9am-9pm, it meansthat I want Windows Update to stay out of the way. It doesn’t mean that you canstart running stuff behind the scenes, tying up resources so that i I can’t get work doneand ii I wonder whether malware has infiltrated my PC

--2---

When you start running stuff behind the scenes, it would benice if you would tell me - I would remain annoyed but at least I would nothave to worry about malware.

--3--

It would be nice to have a user-friendly way to pick andchoose which update items to install.

This means being able to see at a glance i which updates arefor features and which are for security, ii what each item is for. I don't want to delve into your dull, long-winded,dense texts that make little sense to the average user. I want to read short summaries in plain English and have the choice to read a more detailed description in more technical language.

Personally, I could not care less about new features. Windowsdoes what I want it to do. If I had a choice, I would only install updates tofix security issues.

--4---

It would also be nice to have some idea of how long eachupdate item will take to be installed. At the moment, I have NO idea whether mycomputer will be tied up for 15 minutes or 3 hours.

My question is:

are the opinions of everyday users EVER taken into accountwhen you write your programs?

:)

andytheo080, Apr 14, 2021
  2. 3Colors Win User

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Windows updates = deeply unpleasant experience at the best of times :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Apr 14, 2021
  3. rtwjunkie Win User
    geforce experience takes an age to load..

Well that's why I asked. Mine is on SSD and takes 11 seconds. Your list of games will not appear if it has not checkd for updated suggested settings for awhile until it checks.

When it says it is refreshing the game list, it is checking, because NVIDIA periodically updates suggested settings. Plus it will look for those for new games you have installed.

So, the less it is run, the slower it will be.

rtwjunkie, Apr 14, 2021
  4. Windows updates = deeply unpleasant experience at the best of times

Windows 10 "No drive was found with an operating system"

Hi,

Very sorry to hear that you had some unpleasant experience. We suggest that you use the Feedback App on your computer and send your views.

• Type Feedback in the search bar.
    • Click on Windows feedback.
    • Follow onscreen instructions

Vinod Archak, Apr 14, 2021
Thema:

Windows updates = deeply unpleasant experience at the best of times

1. Windows updates = deeply unpleasant experience at the best of times - Similar Threads - updates deeply unpleasant

2. horrible experience with recent windows update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    horrible experience with recent windows update: Hi I've had a horrible experience with windows update about a week and half ago. I lost access to my task bar including all icons, ability to search and ability to navigate files etc, windows key doesn't work, volume keys don't work and I can only access programs that have...
  3. Low contrast unpleasant hilight color in context menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Low contrast unpleasant hilight color in context menu: So I updated to Windows 11 a while ago and the classic contex menu should appear with a blue highlight for selected items, mine appear like nearly the same color. Is there a way to bring it back ?I already tried modifying the HKLU/Control Panel/Colors and HKLU/Control...
  4. I am deeply disappoited in windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I am deeply disappoited in windows: I cannot believe all the **** that has happened in the last 4 hours.. BUT WINDOWS Crashed. >Then destroys all my data with the Stupid REcovery attempt from window trying to self repair it then forcefully uses a system restore point that I didnt want with out me doing any...
  5. Update to 2004 experience.

Update to 2004 experience.: Thank you all for the valuable information you provide. Yesterday I did some routine drive cleanup and created a new backup image. Ironically I received my first notice for the 2004 update today. Like others I have been tempted to get the 2004 iso ad "try it out" but instead...
  6. Any experience with WinUSB? Good? Bad? Best?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Any experience with WinUSB? Good? Bad? Best?: WinUSB - Linux, Rescue or Windows bootable USB without formatting 142984
  7. Any experience with WinUSB? Good? Bad? Best?

in Windows 10 Support
    Any experience with WinUSB? Good? Bad? Best?: WinUSB - Linux, Rescue or Windows bootable USB without formatting 142984
  8. Windows 10 update 1809 experiences?

Windows 10 update 1809 experiences?: I'm an "old geek" with a small home network based on hardware and software that has mellowed with age, but survived software evolution so far. Under Windows for 20 years or more, every PC on my network had two or more local users, later Microsoft accounts that help set the...
  9. Updating Display Drivers (best gaming experience)

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Updating Display Drivers (best gaming experience): So I'm not actually a gamer, but this doesn't count that much for the theme of the thread. I play from time to time the Witcher series, but for W10 I still have the display drivers got by Update Center from October 2015. I got a NVidia 840M display card. The most recent...
  10. Geforce Experiance updates.

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Geforce Experiance updates.: I frequently get invitations from Nvidia's Geforce Experience to download the latest drivers, today they are at 373.06. The never start downloading. In my case, using a low end card to run my AOC Q2770P and not needing the latest drivers for gaming means that I don't mind...