Windows 10: Windows updates fail Nov 2020

Discus and support Windows updates fail Nov 2020 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I need help please. Windows 10 update starts restarts the laptop then I get a blue screen saying 'your device ran into a problem and needs to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Ziggy60, Nov 22, 2020.

1. Ziggy60 Win User

Windows updates fail Nov 2020

I need help please.

Windows 10 update starts restarts the laptop then I get a blue screen saying 'your device ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're just collecting some error info and we will restart for you'. Then it goes to Dell supportassist which runs a system scan - result 'no issues'. Then it goes to a black screen with Dell logo diagnosing your PC. Then another black screen with Dell logo 'attempting repairs'. Then a purple screen ' we couldn't complete the updates, undoing changes etc.

I have scoured the internet for help advice and guidance but can find nothing current for 2020.

Help please.

:)

Ziggy60, Nov 22, 2020
  2. jds21 Win User

Windows Updates failed to instal

I just did step one and they have just all installed.... thank you so much.... it was quite frustrating having that update window pop up every 5 minutes and failing to instal every time

Thanks mate

jds21, Nov 22, 2020
  3. AsRock Win User
    Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Nov 22, 2020
  4. Windows updates fail Nov 2020

Windows 10 fails to update

When you finish testing the Avast suggestion, make sure that you restart your machine.

Then if the issue persists, please return to the trouble shooting list in post# 89

I think there are three steps that remain; the WU troubleshooter, reset WU components, and manual WU reset.

Slartybart, Nov 22, 2020
Thema:

Windows updates fail Nov 2020

1. Windows updates fail Nov 2020 - Similar Threads - updates fail Nov

2. i updated the nov 2020 cumulative preview

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    i updated the nov 2020 cumulative preview: i updated the nov 2020 preview update. the defender virus scan would not allow the option for a manual scan. i restored to a previous system image. did not help. i could no longer update the nov 2020 preview. i am now using malware bytes virus scan i can now do a...
  3. Nov 2020 update to Windows 10 - problems with Outlook email connection and Edge

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Nov 2020 update to Windows 10 - problems with Outlook email connection and Edge: My computer did automatic update in Nov to my Windows 10. Following that two things happened and continue: Outlook asks for password to email account whenever it is opened, which never used to happen, and even though I have gone to Account settings and run the repair tool...
  4. Windows update Nov. 2020 Freezing Not letting my use my password

Windows update Nov. 2020 Freezing Not letting my use my password: Windows did an update and froze my computer. I have gone through the steps to Forcibly shut doen the computer to get to the recovery screen. When i go to startup repair it asks for amy password. When I enter it it tells me i have an incorrect passowrd. I went on another...
  5. Windows update Nov. 2020 Freezing

Windows update Nov. 2020 Freezing: I can not start my laptop. I had a windows update last night, I let it run overnight. My laptop was still running in the morning, but had a black screen. I held the power button to close it down. When I restarted it went right into the update, but froze. I let it sit for...
  6. Recent Windows Upgrade Nov 2020

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Recent Windows Upgrade Nov 2020: Following a recent upgrade [I did not initiate] File Explorer has changed and I would prefer to have it the way it was https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recent-windows-upgrade-nov-2020/6ea6a716-e3fc-42b4-8341-8d55ce96ebf8
  7. pc slow after KB4586781 update nov 2020

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    pc slow after KB4586781 update nov 2020: Hi, my pc is extremly slow to start up, it has taken today more than half an hour to be able to use it. Yesterday I had the same issue. My daughter had the same issue in her laptop. Both of us have windows 10 and this is happening after the KB4586781 update. Can anyone...
  8. Windows 10 Update Nov 2020: Wireless Mouse and Touch Screen stopped working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Update Nov 2020: Wireless Mouse and Touch Screen stopped working: Simple fix: 1. Open Device Manager 2. Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers Left Click Arrow on the far Left 3. Right click USB Root Hub USB 3.0 4. Click Enable 5. Check the other listed options in the list and Click Enable if that is shown for any. This fixed...
  9. latest windows update Nov 2020

latest windows update Nov 2020: Installed latest Windows 10 update for home laptop. Resulting performance is terrible - I can type faster than this o/s performs. Sleep mode after 10 minutes -- goes into a coma! MS Edge forgets logins and passwords it used to remember. Outlook forgets passwords to gmail and...
  10. Msfs 2020 update fail

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Msfs 2020 update fail: I start to install the game at 18 August and by today the update sticks at fs-base-0.1.61.fspackage.001.part https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/msfs-2020-update-fail/a415c42b-1b4c-4f2b-a2aa-68a3afaa91bf